las iglesias ortodoxas

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
anyone knows of orthodox churches in DR? serbian, russian, greek, palestinian, romanian, bulgarian, ...

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
New Life Church

Sorry, I can't help on that, but as you speak English, there is a very welcoming English speaking, non-denominational church in La Mulata, Sosua (just a little way up the road opposite the Car Wash). It's called New Life Church and the English Service is at 10.30 a.m. on Sundays. There is also a Spanish/English Bible Study at 7.30 p.m. on Wednesdays and a huge Spanish service at 7.30 p.m. on Fridays.

Everyone welcome.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
maybe i'd come. am not in DR yet, just in another latino country. but... soon going to DR!

i'm looking for orthodox churches. most latino countries got 'em.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Nope

None that I know of on the North Coast and I sincerely doubt whether there are any Orthodox churches in Santo Domingo given the heavy predominance of Catholics. A couple of years ago there was a Greek guy looking at forming some type of Orthodox worship services. You may want to search that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know a Lebanese family here, and like most people of Middle Eastern origin in the DR, they are Christian, not Muslim. I think they mentioned that the church they attend in Santo Domingo is Eastern Orthodox, or at least has Eastern Orthodox services. Is that the same thing? I can ask on your behalf, if you like.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is (or was last year) an orthodox church in Puerto Plata. A Greek friend of mine goes there & last year it had many churchgoers who were orthodox serbians & montenegrans. I think she told me the prelate was moving to Jarabacoa but I do not know if this has happened yet.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
yes... that's what i wanna know. people from mid-east in DR? great! i like mid-east and have friends from that region. lebanese got great wines, lamb meat and goat cheese. it's must try! lebanese coast is most beautiful coast of mediterranean! of course, after french cote d' azur. any restaurants in DR ran by people from medio oriente?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, there is an established ME community here. Most are from Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Palestine, mostly Christians as I mentioned above. Many are prominent in business and politics here: you see ME names like Nader, Atallah, Khouri and so on cropping up all over the place. ME recipes like kibbes and tabbouleh have become part of typical Dominican cuisine thanks to these immigrants, although the names have been Dominicanised as "quipe" and "tipile".

Restaurants: Scherazade on Roberto Pastoriza is sort of Middle Eastern/Mediterranean. There is also a little one on Churchill nr the esq. Bolivar, can't remember the name. L'Epiciere de l'Orient on Plaza Paseo de la Churchill on Churchill esq. Pastoriza is a ME delicatessen which also serves ME snacks. The two falafel places are Israeli-owned: one in Zona Colonial and the new one on Jose Amado Soler between Lincoln and Lope de Vega. There is a current thread about this with more details. There are probably more, but I can't think of them right now.

I read somewhere that there is a newish place in the Zona Colonial doing Moroccan style-food :lick: (not the one on Arz. Portes with the belly dancing, that seems to have closed down) - does anyone know about this?

As for your other query about people from FYU, I am told that a large number of the musicians in the Dominican symphony orchestra are from there. I've also heard that there are some Bulgarians around.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
gracias por respuesta! i'm sure i'd check the restaurants and will attend the service in church. i truly like food from mid-east!