slavs

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
anyone in DR from exYU, former sovjet union, poland, czechia, slovakia or bulgaria visits this forum?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I don't know about visiting this forum but I know there is a population of bulgarians in santo domingo and in the north coast.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
There are some croatians working and living in North Coast.

We were all happy to gather round a nice bottle of Slivovitz

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
A.J., jesi li ti hrvat? ja sam srbin iz hrvatske. yes... shljivovica is great! i brought some bottles of it to this continent! maybe we can build our own destillery! <: tequilla, malbec, wine, ... fine... but, shljivovica is the one and only! <:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Ja sam hrvatski slovenski Amerikanac - JA ne govoriti hrvatski at least not alot

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
why you don't speak serbo-croatian? you grown up in USA? most of slovenians [even younger] speak very well serbo-croatian. older ones speak it perfectly... bettern than most serbs and croats. i understand slovenian very well, but don't speak.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
milosh said:
anyone in DR from exYU, former sovjet union, poland, czechia, slovakia or bulgaria visits this forum?

My father's side of the family came from small village near Kocise in eastern Slovakia. I have been there a few times, but now have been more times to DR.

From my experiences, there are some similarities between Slovakia and DR:

Both have lots of very hospitable, Catholic rural population and beautiful rolling hills/mountains. Both places have high unemployment (although in eastern Slovakia it was higher but a lot of young, educated people without jobs). Although, the Slovaks seemed more pessimistic about the economic situation.
Both places have a minority population that they in general can't stand (Haitians in DR and gypsies in Sk). Both places have a recent past where most people agree was a worse time but some look back nostalgically on the sense of order - ie communism in Sk when there was less freedom but most people were employed and Trujillo's era in DR. Both cultures love to dance, drink, and have a good time (in DR merengue, bachata with rum/beer and Sk polka with beer/homemade slivovitz). Both until recently were inexpensive for Americans (less with weaker $ in DR and less in Sk with admission to EU). Both have more modern, westernized capitals - SD and Bratislava.

I also wondered if there are any Slovaks, etc in DR.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
i totally agree! and you forgot nice girls... many of them in both, DR and SK. i been to SK plenty times and passed through on my way to czechia. have even in serbia slovaki friends. there is a huge slovaki minority in serbia. in some towns slovaki is even officcial language.

slovakia just lost with EU... like most other countries in that creation... old and new. if EU is good, switzerland will surely join it. <:

where you live?

no kocise, correct is koshice.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
milosh, see my post in the church thread for some more info on this. Which Slavic country are you from?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
milosh said:
i totally agree! and you forgot nice girls... many of them in both, DR and SK. i been to SK plenty times and passed through on my way to czechia. have even in serbia slovaki friends. there is a huge slovaki minority in serbia. in some towns slovaki is even officcial language.

slovakia just lost with EU... like most other countries in that creation... old and new. if EU is good, switzerland will surely join it. <:

where you live?

no kocise, correct is koshice.

I live in US. Slovaks do have some of most beautiful girls in world (actually, a lot have become models).

I just checked and the Slovak spelling is actually Kosice (my family's village was Licartovce).

I always thought it would be interesting to see if there was a Slovak enclave in DR or at least a few people directly from there and see how they adapted to life in DR.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Chris_NJ said:
I just checked and the Slovak spelling is actually Kosice (my family's village was Licartovce).
Right. The pronunciation is Koshitse.
Chris_NJ said:
I always thought it would be interesting to see if there was a Slovak enclave in DR or at least a few people directly from there and see how they adapted to life in DR
There is a bar on Sosua beach run by a Czech couple. Comes close, eh?...
Chris_NJ said:
I live in US. Slovaks do have some of most beautiful girls in world (actually, a lot have become models).
I can relate to that ;) a breath of fresh air but don't tell the West European FWB.
To remain on topic I know of a Slovak girl in Samana. She used to work for a french (or french Swiss) independant hotel. Don't know if she's still around.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
i'm serb from croatia. from dalmatia.

pomoz' Bog, zemo! odakle si iz like? ja sam dalmatinac, iz kistanja.

chuva Bog srbina svog!

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
slavs in DR?

Unlike Chile and Argentina, and to some degree Peru and Bolivia, the DR has historically not had any substantial number of Eastern European migrants. But a few have come in recent years....

Mr. Lubo Krstajic is a very amiable and bright Montenegrin. He can speak several languages well, including Dominican Spanish if need be after his roughly 20 yrs. on the island. He 1st came to the DR introducing the "Yugo" car into the local market (and just like in the US the car did not sell very well). Even though I have not seen him in the last few years, I know that he has prospered in the hotel/travel business and I believe that he still lives in Santo Domingo. Standing approx. 6'7'' you can't miss him in the DR. I'm sure that he can help provide orientation about life in the DR to any serbo-croatian speaking person planning to stay. I do recall that he had a few friends from his homeland (as well as a couple of Bulgarians and Romanians) in SD, and as Chiri mentioned they were Sinf?nica Nacional musicians.

Back in the 80's there was a Yugoslavian-owned restaurant in 'downtown' Puerto Plata. The owner was an older gentleman (I forgot his name, but I'm sure that either HB from Santiago or some expat who's been on the North Coast long might remember it). He was a great storyteller and pretty good chef. I doubt that he is still around but I had some rather memorable Eastern European meals there. He treated his guests like royalty and was always willing to take last minute special requests. His Hungarian goulash (sp?) was fantastic. I think he had children with his Dominican wife and they may still be around....
good luck,

- Tordok

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's a restaurant in Naco, just off Roberto Pastoriza, called Drago's Steak House (or something like that). I think the owner is from one of the FYU countries.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
tordok... where are you from? great post! goulash is great... correct is gulyas in hungarian. ly is pronounced like ll in spanish and s like sh. but, foreigners call it as you wrote.

it's good that there are people from EXYU out there. i knew it and even know some people... but, tordok's story is great.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Speaking of food - I have only eaten fried cheese as a main dish in 2 countries: Many times in Slovakia with tartar sauce and french fries and once with tostones in this small pueblo near Monte Criste.