Forecasters: Tropical cyclone possible

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
I just read on CNN's site of a storm system brewing in the central Caribbean.
Forecasters say it could develope into a tropical cyclone this week while dropping heavy rain, causing dangerous flodding and mudslides on Puerto Rico adn the island of Hispaniola.

I sure hope that this does not happen..... :cry:

Tracy

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Tracy said:
I just read on CNN's site of a storm system brewing in the central Caribbean.
Forecasters say it could develope into a tropical cyclone this week while dropping heavy rain, causing dangerous flodding and mudslides on Puerto Rico adn the island of Hispaniola.

I sure hope that this does not happen..... :cry:

Tracy

If it develops, looks like it will be once it passes us. See NHC details at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIATWDAT.shtml? (probably one of our weather people could explain all this jumble).

From what I read, it means that we will have lots of rain.

At least in Santo Domingo, what we have had so far today is lots of wind.

Posted earlier about this system, and you can see a link with all the humidity at http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34524&page=4

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
So much for the "Hurricane season is over" statement just over a week ago!!! I must admit that at the time I thought that a rash statement, especially as I was always under the impression the Caribbean Hurricane season officially lasted until the 30th November!! I also seem to recall we had a small hurricane last year during the first week of DECEMBER!!!

Wishful thinking, listening to what "A friend told me" & rumour in the DR are NEVER a good idea to base statements on!!! Always allow for the "Embuggeration Factor"!! ~ Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You must be having a dull day, Dolores, to go searching for such a (at present) poorly formed "storm".

Next thing will be a flood of messages from people asking if they should cancel their vacation reservations because of the "hurricane".

BushBaby, not sure about last year, but we have had hurricanes in December. As I recall, one hit the Virgin Islands not too many years ago.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Bushbaby, I'm sure our friendly weather folks will say something when there is something to say.... At the moment, there is nothing to say. Tomorrow may be different.

From Noah today...

1130 AM EST WED NOV 10 2004

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

A BROAD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED ABOUT 300 MILES SOUTHWEST OF
PUERTO RICO IS PRODUCING WIDESPREAD CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS
OVER THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE
ONLY MARGINALLY FAVORABLE FOR A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE TO
DEVELOP DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO AS THE SYSTEM MOVES SLOWLY
NORTHEASTWARD. THE AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT
ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FOR THIS AFTERNOON HAS BEEN CANCELED. HOWEVER
...ANOTHER AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED TO INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM THURSDAY
...IF NECESSARY. EVEN IF A TROPICAL CYCLONE DOES NOT DEVELOP...
THE SYSTEM SHOULD PRODUCE HEAVY RAINFALL...POSSIBLY CAUSING
LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING AND MUD SLIDES...ACROSS PUERTO RICO...THE
VIRGIN ISLANDS...AND THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL LESSER ANTILLES OVER
THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. INTERESTS IN THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN
CARIBBEAN SEA SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS SYSTEM CAN BE FOUND IN HIGH SEAS
FORECASTS ISSUED BY THE TROPICAL ANALYSIS AND FORECAST BRANCH...
UNDER AWIPS HEADER HSFAT2 AND UNDER WMO HEADER FZNT02 KNHC.

ANOTHER AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER IS LOCATED JUST OFFSHORE THE
NORTHWESTERN COAST OF COLOMBIA. DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...SHOULD BE
SLOW TO OCCUR. HOWEVER...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE
ALONG THE COASTAL REGIONS OF COLOMBIA AND VENEZUELA DURING THE NEXT
DAY OR SO.

ELSEWHERE..TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH
THURSDAY.

FORECASTER STEWART

$$

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Ken said:
You must be having a dull day, Dolores, to go searching for such a (at present) poorly formed "storm".

Next thing will be a flood of messages from people asking if they should cancel their vacation reservations because of the "hurricane".

BushBaby, not sure about last year, but we have had hurricanes in December. As I recall, one hit the Virgin Islands not too many years ago.

I'm sure she did that for me.. I only started the thread because of my concerns for more flooding to an area that isn't even 100% back from the last one.

Tracy

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sorry, Ken, I am a weather buff. It fascinates me. Also, I find it strange that already in October we were having Christmas-time chilly weather.

Despite the satellite pictures, Santo Domingo had a beautiful weather day. After noon, the clouds moved on (probably with the winds we had) and we had a blue blue sky day. As said above, the forecast was for the bad weather to move northeast and apparently that is what it did to tell for the good weather day we had today.

As explained above, does not look like a storm will head our way.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Dolores said:
Sorry, Ken, I am a weather buff. It fascinates me. Also, I find it strange that already in October we were having Christmas-time chilly weather.

Despite the satellite pictures, Santo Domingo had a beautiful weather day. After noon, the clouds moved on (probably with the winds we had) and we had a blue blue sky day. As said above, the forecast was for the bad weather to move northeast and apparently that is what it did to tell for the good weather day we had today.

As explained above, does not look like a storm will head our way.

Dolores, I appreciate you and your reports. Keep it up.

Tourists: It is okay, tropical weather goes great with Presidente. Come on down.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I dont know what is going on weatherwise, but we are having a severe wind and rain storm here in Cabrera right now. I am not looking forward to cleaning up after another cyclone....

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
sjh said:
I dont know what is going on weatherwise, but we are having a severe wind and rain storm here in Cabrera right now. I am not looking forward to cleaning up after another cyclone....

Recording 40mph gusts, no rain currently in Islabon just east of Cabarete

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
So, looks like we're having a blowy, rainy day on the North Coast...

From Noaa this morning

530 AM EST THU NOV 11 2004 FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO... A BROAD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED ABOUT 250 MILES SOUTH OF PUERTO RICO IS PRODUCING WIDESPREAD CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA. THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY POORLY ORGANIZED...AND UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE ONLY MARGINALLY FAVORABLE FOR A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE TO DEVELOP DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO AS THE SYSTEM MOVES SLOWLY NORTHEASTWARD. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED TO INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM LATER TODAY...IF NECESSARY. EVEN IF A TROPICAL CYCLONE DOES NOT DEVELOP...THE SYSTEM SHOULD PRODUCE HEAVY RAINFALL...POSSIBLY CAUSING LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING AND MUD SLIDES...ACROSS PUERTO RICO...THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...AND THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL LESSER ANTILLES OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. INTERESTS IN THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS SYSTEM CAN BE FOUND IN HIGH SEAS FORECASTS ISSUED BY THE TROPICAL ANALYSIS AND FORECAST BRANCH... UNDER AWIPS HEADER HSFAT2 AND UNDER WMO HEADER FZNT02 KNHC. ANOTHER POORLY ORGANIZED AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER IS LOCATED JUST OFFSHORE OF THE GUAJIRA PENINSULA OF COLOMBIA. DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...SHOULD BE SLOW TO OCCUR. HOWEVER...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG THE COASTAL REGIONS OF COLOMBIA AND VENEZUELA DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. ELSEWHERE..TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH FRIDAY. FORECASTER BEVEN $$

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
From Noaa

1130 AM EST THU NOV 11 2004 FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO... A BROAD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED ABOUT 300 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF GUADELOUPE IS PRODUCING WIDESPREAD CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA AND PORTIONS OF THE LESSER ANTILLES. THIS SYSTEM REMAINS POORLY ORGANIZED...AND UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE ONLY MARGINALLY FAVORABLE FOR A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE TO DEVELOP DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO AS THE SYSTEM MOVES EAST-NORTHEASTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

THE AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHT ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FOR TODAY HAS BEEN CANCELED. EVEN IF A TROPICAL CYCLONE DOES NOT DEVELOP...THE SYSTEM SHOULD PRODUCE HEAVY RAINFALL...POSSIBLY CAUSING LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING AND MUD SLIDES...ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL LESSER ANTILLES OVER THE NEXT DAY OR SO. INTERESTS IN THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

A LARGE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM...LOCATED ABOUT 650 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHERNMOST AZORES ISLANDS...IS PRODUCING GALE FORCE WINDS WELL NORTH OF THE CENTER. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED NEAR THE LOW-LEVEL CENTER AND...IF THIS TREND CONTINUES...THE SYSTEM COULD GRADUALLY ACQUIRE SUBTROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS BEFORE IT MOVES NORTHWESTWARD OVER COOLER WATER.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THESE TWO SYSTEMS CAN BE FOUND IN HIGH SEAS FORECASTS ISSUED BY THE TROPICAL ANALYSIS AND FORECAST BRANCH AND THE OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER...UNDER AWIPS HEADERS HSFAT2 AND HSFAT1...AND UNDER WMO HEADERS FZNT02 KNHC AND FZNT01 KWBC. A POORLY ORGANIZED AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER...LOCATED JUST WEST OF ARUBA...IS MOVING EASTWARD AT 10 MPH.

WHILE TROPICAL CYCLONE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT EXPECTED...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE NETHERLANDS ANTILLES AND ALONG THE COASTAL REGIONS OF NORTHWESTERN VENEZUELA DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. ELSEWHERE..TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH FRIDAY. FORECASTER STEWART $$

Just to make some terms more understandable.... these definitions from the Noaa faq's: (I shortened them considerably - if you want to read more, go to http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/tcfaqHED.html)

Tropical cyclones with maximum sustained surface winds of less than 17 m/s (34 kt, 39 mph) are called "tropical depressions"

Once the tropical cyclone reaches winds of at least 17 m/s (34 kt, 39 mph) they are typically called a "tropical storm" and assigned a name.

Tropical Disturbance - A discrete tropical weather system of apparently organized convection - generally 200 to 600 km (100 to 300 nmi) in diameter - originating in the tropics or subtropics, having a nonfrontal migratory character, and maintaining its identity for 24 hours or more.

Tropical Depression - A tropical cyclone or storm in which the maximum sustained wind speed (using the U.S. 1 minute average standard) is 33 kt (38 mph, 17 m/s) or less. Depressions have a closed circulation.

Tropical Storm or Tropical Cyclone - maximum sustained surface wind speed (using the U.S. 1 minute average standard) ranges from 39 mph to 73 mph. The convection in tropical storms is usually more concentrated near the center with outer rainfall organizing into distinct bands.

Hurricane - When winds in a tropical cyclone equal or exceed 64 kt (74 mph, 34 m/s) it is called a hurricane (in the Atlantic and eastern and central Pacific Oceans). Hurricanes are further designated by categories on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Hurricanes in categories 3, 4, 5 are known as Major Hurricanes or Intense Hurricanes.