Taxi from POP airport to Caribe Tours

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Please can someone tell me what is the average price for a Taxi from POP airport to Caribe Tours.

ALSO

My wife is travelling alone and is nervous about stories of so called taxi drivers robbing their passengers, is there any taxi firm that you can name that is a guaranteed bona fide, reliable company so I can put her mind at rest.

Cheers
Paul

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Caribe Tours where? Puerto Plata, Sosua, somewhere else? If to Puerto Plata about $20-$25 US dollars.
Martin Espinal's company has a good reputation. Email espinal30@msn.com or tel.574-0062. Martin is charming, speaks English, is a family man with 2 teenage daughters. If you express your wife's concerns I'm certain he'll alert the driver to be extra courteous.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your wife has a choice of going to Sosua or Puerto Plata. The Caribe Tours bus to Santiago/Santo Domingo starts in Sosua at 20 minutes past the hour. It's first stop is Puerto Plata, where it leaves on the hour. Sosua is closer to the airport than Puerto Plata, so there would be a savings in taxi fare.

There is no reason for your wife to be afraid about taking a taxi from the airport. The list of charges to many different locations is posted by the taxi stand.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Thanks Guys

Yes its to Caribe Tours in Puerto Plata.

I'll get her to ring Martins company. Thanks very much. She's a Dominicana so its not a case of being in a foreign country, its just that when she was in Santo Domingo in August she got fed a steady diet of all the bad things that had been happenning by her family. All the deportees coming back from the states, public cars setting traps for the unwary, the increase in street violence. She came back slightly paranoid.

Thanks again

Paul

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Taxi to Sosua from POP airport

Ken said:
Your wife has a choice of going to Sosua or Puerto Plata. The Caribe Tours bus to Santiago/Santo Domingo starts in Sosua at 20 minutes past the hour. It's first stop is Puerto Plata, where it leaves on the hour. Sosua is closer to the airport than Puerto Plata, so there would be a savings in taxi fare.

There is no reason for your wife to be afraid about taking a taxi from the airport. The list of charges to many different locations is posted by the taxi stand.

Hi Ken

How much in that case is a taxi to the Caribe Tour office in Sosua ?

Paul

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Sorry Ken

Didnt read your post properly.

The prices are listed, thats great.

Paul :cross-eye

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Lambada said:
Caribe Tours where? Puerto Plata, Sosua, somewhere else? If to Puerto Plata about $20-$25 US dollars.
Martin Espinal's company has a good reputation. Email espinal30@msn.com or tel.574-0062. Martin is charming, speaks English, is a family man with 2 teenage daughters. If you express your wife's concerns I'm certain he'll alert the driver to be extra courteous.

Martin is also a very good friend of mine for almost 10 years. I too can attest that Martin is tops.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
DominicanScotty said:
Martin is also a very good friend of mine for almost 10 years. I too can attest that Martin is tops.

Thank you, Dominican Scotty. I respect the fact that this man started with very little & has got to where he has through sheer hard work. Dominican success story.

But having reread Freemo's post & realising this is an airport pickup as opposed to delivery, it occurs to me that the taxi drivers at the airport may not take too kindly to an outside firm coming in, so it may be better to use their services rather than for Mrs. Freemo to be in the middle of a turf war!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Lambada said:
Thank you, Dominican Scotty. I respect the fact that this man started with very little & has got to where he has through sheer hard work. Dominican success story.

But having reread Freemo's post & realising this is an airport pickup as opposed to delivery, it occurs to me that the taxi drivers at the airport may not take too kindly to an outside firm coming in, so it may be better to use their services rather than for Mrs. Freemo to be in the middle of a turf war!

Not true, I am picked up all the time, use who ever you want.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Lambada said:

Being that I am in this business Martin will be fine. He will drive in and drop off the lady and drive out. No problem! It is when drivers try to "hawk in" on drivers that are assigned to be there when there is a problem. This is never a problem as drivers don't "hawk the line".

I met Martin a long time ago. He is very personable and someone that I would love to do business with. Perhaps someday I might just do that!

Scotty