i am very worried after i read this

kristine2378

Sep 18, 2004
i read review on trip advisor about the paradisus and now i am worried

Punta Cana: Paradisus Punta Cana: "maggots in our food"
Date: November 9, 2004
Reviewer: epiersanti@cogeco.ca, Burlington, Ontario
Compare prices with:
What is a vacation if you become sick? Read as many reviews as possible and for those who have vacationed here who thought so highly of this resort, remember the buffet tables? The food sits out all day.
The restaraunts open at 7:00am so the food should be fresh and some foods chilled unless of course it sits out overnight? We always arrived at 6:45am to eat as the golf bus left at 7:05am. I didn't clue in until I found maggots in my prunes one morning and after this Fear Factor incident, I recalled that the fruit was never chilled. The management placed the blame on the quality controls in the U.S. during import. BOLLOCKS! The gestation of a maggot is as early as 8 hours in a warm environment. All I can say is if you have booked and paid...good luck.

should i worry

kristine2378

Sep 18, 2004
oh k i am just worried because i will be at this resort for this nye
and i do not want any bad to happen since i paid so much money

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
kristine2378 said:
oh k i am just worried because i will be at this resort for this nye
and i do not want any bad to happen since i paid so much money

Maggots are easy to spot, stay away from white rice if your eyesight isn't great, and try not to eat anything that looks like it might still be alive (moving, twitching, etc.)

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
whoever wrote that is asking for a swift kick in the *** ........... gimme a break you can get sick anywhere in the world ... I live in Canada but am from Poland I went back to Europe and got sick when i was in France visiting relatives...... some people are just plain pathetic ..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Just go and have fun. I've been going since 1988 and I've never been sick. Resorts, outside food and even food sold at the beach has never made me sick, knock on wood :cross-eye. Some people drink too much, each too much fruit they've never had and the hot sun is most likely behind any sickness while on holidays.

bakerlad1983

May 14, 2004
i am going next year and i cant wait to go
its my honeymoon and looking forward to all of it, food poisening can happen anywhere.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
In fact, you are probably safer there....

In fact, you are probably safer there if the maggot situation is right. Do you think they will not be watching this closely for a long time? You may be more at risk someplace else.

Dec 9, 2002
Maggots are good!!

Look upon the maggot thing as a good thing - at least you will see them and know not to eat that food ;) You could get ill eating something that you may not know is off

But seriously, don't worry, just be sensible about what you eat, chances are you will be fine. I've been going 2 or 3 times a year for around 7 years now, never once been sick. Most people who do get ill automatically blame it on the food, but like Anna says, chances are it's from the alcohol or sun, or both.

vinnie

Mar 19, 2003
hey wanna get really sick try la capital if you are really lucky the power will go off while ur in hospital hopefully while ur not undergoing some horrific operation and if u recover the hospital tap waters GONA GETCHA.no fear of maggots here the cockroaches have eaten them all

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Prunes at7am!!!!!!!

kristine2378 said:

Compare prices with:
What is a vacation if you become sick? Read as many reviews as possible and for those who have vacationed here who thought so highly of this resort, remember the buffet tables? The food sits out all day.
The restaraunts open at 7:00am so the food should be fresh and some foods chilled unless of course it sits out overnight? We always arrived at 6:45am to eat as the golf bus left at 7:05am. I didn't clue in until I found maggots in my prunes one morning and after this Fear Factor incident, I recalled that the fruit was never chilled. The management placed the blame on the quality controls in the U.S. during import. BOLLOCKS! The gestation of a maggot is as early as 8 hours in a warm environment. All I can say is if you have booked and paid...good luck.

should i worry

If you came all the way to D.R. to eat Prunes prior to 7am I dont think you are taking advantage of the All-inclusive breakfast . then at least try the Champers and Orange Juice which may have the same effect and give the Chef a break.....M.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly's Rules for not getting sick

You know that 42 years living in the tropics can give you a great insight on health practices. But these I learned BEFORE I ever got here:

1) Never, ever eat a fruit you have not peeled yourself

2) Eat only really hot, fresh cooked food.

3) Unless you prepared it and washed every leaf-stay away from salads.

4) Never, ever eat on the streets.

5) Drink only bottled water. Bring some purification tablets JIC you are caught out in the boonies somewhere.

6) Keep your feet dry.

Do I do this today, you ask? No I don't, at least not all the time. However, I am pretty much immune to the local biological threats...you aren't.

Common sense, unfortunately, is not so common. At a resort, have the people there prepare your fruit salad for you. While you watch. Eat a great big honkin' omelette with onions, bacon, sausage, cheese and green peppers in it. Four eggs? Sure, why not.

If you go into a town, you can generally trust the restaurants. But don't try anything really rare.

Good luck and you'll have a blast.

HB

Oh yeah, we get maggots in mangos that fall from our trees. Don't eat them.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
where exactly do we live.

Hillbilly said:
You know that 42 years living in the tropics can give you a great insight on health practices. But these I learned BEFORE I ever got here:

1) Never, ever eat a fruit you have not peeled yourself

2) Eat only really hot, fresh cooked food.

3) Unless you prepared it and washed every leaf-stay away from salads.

4) Never, ever eat on the streets.

5) Drink only bottled water. Bring some purification tablets JIC you are caught out in the boonies somewhere.

6) Keep your feet dry.

Do I do this today, you ask? No I don't, at least not all the time. However, I am pretty much immune to the local biological threats...you aren't.

Common sense, unfortunately, is not so common. At a resort, have the people there prepare your fruit salad for you. While you watch. Eat a great big honkin' omelette with onions, bacon, sausage, cheese and green peppers in it. Four eggs? Sure, why not.

If you go into a town, you can generally trust the restaurants. But don't try anything really rare.

Good luck and you'll have a blast.

HB

Oh yeah, we get maggots in mangos that fall from our trees. Don't eat them.

Love the bit about wet feet..When my brother visited the first time from England he had so many injections that I started to get worried myself. Fortunately he got sick mostly in England due to the injections before he got here and couldnt give me anything....I think most of the problems are the Rum and the Ice...M.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
kristine2378 said:

Compare prices with:

should i worry
Don't worry,

A little maggot is not gonna kill you, it is just extra protein and in many restaurants in Europe and Asia they are becoming more and more popular in the menu....In Mexico they are being eaten in tacos.

In Korea They have been eating butterflies larvaes for years as a popular country snack. They eat them boiled.