Economic Illiteracy is a DANGEROUS thing!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
After a long flight from Chile, I'm back in Quisqueya!

My my, its incredible all the rumors and negative attitudes towards the economic situation in the DR has mushroomed on DR1 during the time I was gone!

Let me explain a bit of economics here, because its obvious many people don't know enough to realize that the appreciation of the Peso is actually GOOD!

As you read the following, keep in mind that in the short run prices are considered STICKY, because they don't move as they should in ANY CAPITALISTIC ECONOMY IN THE WORLD IN ECONOMIC SHOCKS!

In the long run, prices are flexible and can respond to changes in supply and demand. In the short run, many prices are "sticky" at some predetermined level.

To see how the short run and the long run differ, consider the effects of a change in monetary policy. Suppose the Central Bank suddenly reduced the money supply by 5 percent. In the long run, a 5 percent reduction in the money supply lowers all prices (including nominal wages) by 5 percent whereas all real variables remain the same. Thus, in the long run, changes in the money supply do not cause fluctuations in output or employment.

In the short run, however, many prices do not respond to changes in monetary policy. A reduction in the money supply does not immediately cause all firms to cut the wages they pay, all stores to change the price tags on their goods, all mail-order firms to issue new catalogs, and all restaurants to print new menus. Instead, there is little immediate change in many prices; that is, many prices are sticky. The short-run price stickiness implies that the short-run impact of a change in money supply is not the same as the long-run impact.

The failure of prices to adjust quickly and completely means that, in the short run, output and employment must do some of the adjusting instead. In other words, during the time horizon over which prices are sticky, the classical dichotomy no longer holds: nominal variables can influence real variables, and the economy can deviate from the equilibrium predicted by the classical model.

To further explain how contractionary monetary policy affects the economy, take the United States in the 1870s, as an example.

Before the American civil war, the United States was on a gold standard. Paper dollars were readily convertible into gold. Under this policy, the quantity of gold determined the money supply and the price level.

In 1862 (I think it was that year), after the civil war broke out, the US treasury announced that it would no longer redeem dollars for gold. In essence, this act replaced the gold standard with a system of fiat money. Over the next few years, the government printed large quatities of paper currency (called greenbacks for their color) and used the seigniorage (printing money without backing) to finance wartime expenditure. Because of this increase in the money supply, the price level approximately doubled during the war.

When the war was over, much political debate centered on the question of whether to return to the gold standard. The Greenback party was formed with the primary goal of maintaining the system of fiat money (that is what most money is today, fiat- meaning that its legal tender just because the government says so). Eventually, however, the Greenback party lost the debate. Policymakers decided to retire the greenbacks over time in order to reinstate the gold standard at the rate of exchange between dollars and gold that had prevailed before the war. Their goal was to return the value of the dollar to its former level. (Notice a connection between 1800s USA and Current Leonel's policy - with some noticeable differences of course).

Returning to the gold standard this way required reversing the wartime rise in prices, which meant aggregate demand had to fall. (To be more precise, the growth in aggregate demand needed to fall short of the growth in the natural rate of output). As the price level fell, the economy experienced a recession from 1873 to 1879. By 1879, the price level was back to its level before the war, and the gold standard was reinstated.

Lets go back to the DR now.

A lower exchange rate and sticky prices will increase the unemployment level, temporarily. As unemployment rises, demand for the goods/services drops and the price levels will drop a bit to reflect the drop in demand. As prices drop, demand will increase because people will have more real income at hand. An increase in demand would cause output (or production) to increase to meet demand. The higher production requires more labor, and thus increases employment - reducing the unemployment rate. The newly employed (those who became unemployed before) will be hired at a pay that has already caught up to the new price levels, thus causing the average person to be better off economically.

Notice, we are seeing this effect right now. Things are going for the better, most of you guys need to learn to see things in long term perspective and you need to read an economics book prior to making false gloomy predictions about how you think a strong peso would be bad for society, when in fact the opposite is true.

And for whoever called me a "shill" let me make it clear that I DO NOT WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT, nor do I receive a cent from them either.

In this world, there is no such thing as something for nothing. In the end, everybody gets exactly what they paid for and rebounding our economy back into the trajectory of prosperity will not come for free! But in the end, the current costs will be worth it!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
that was deep. Nal0whs would you mind telling us a timeframe when do you expect all this stickyness and 'good-for-the-future' unemployment to begin working out for the people who are currently suffering?

i like posts like that one. educational and informative. nice.

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
OK so I am Illterrate!!! *spelling intended*

HI guys, and Nal0whs

Firstly Nal0whs, I would like to say that most of what you have posted here seems to be quite considered, it is obvious however that you have become somewhat more verbose since your earlier predictions of currency appreciation have come to fruition (I guess that is only natural) One thing that you said recently though demonstrated that maybe not everything is as considered as it should be, you said that one long term benefit of the current situation is that Banks will in time reduce their interest rates to such a level that businesses including those foreign ones will be able to borrow money at sensible rates. Well, I am sorry but this little prediction of yours seems to hold no weight at all, in the UK and the States you can borrow as much hard currency as you want right now for very little indeed, when I left the UK a year ago the business that I ran had a 20 million sterling flexible credit line (About 40 Million US, for those Americans who I speak to who think the Dollar has higher value than sterling!) and that cost me about 0.5 percent a month a fixed loan of such an amount would be considerably less. OK so for your prediction to come true then first the banks here would have to be competative with such rates as that, which seems quite doubtfull and secondly if they were what interest rate would they be offering on savings??? Let me tell you, such a low one that if ANYONE had even one peso saved in a bank here they would have to be considered fit for placing in an institution!! Without the high interest rates offered on savings here who would risk it? The banks would go out of business over night as all money was transfered to the States or the UK where your money is at least safe!
Conclusion - Its not gonna happen, and if it does the country will have to file for bankruptcy!

OK Secondly I have a few questions,

1. I was surprised to read about the large amount of foreign trade that exists between here an the US about 2.5 Billion in the last year, at todays rate does that mean that there will be 5 BILLION next year!!!???? or will the DR just export half as much or even less (This doesnt sound too good to me as 2.5bn is about 3k per person)

2. Please somebody tell me who sets the exchange rate and what factors are considered in this process, and can somebody really buy a large amount of US from Banco Central at its published rates?

3. Is the type of currency appreciation that we have seen here in the last few months unprecidented and if it isnt could someone give example of recent (Not the 1870's) cases and their outcome.

Thanks, and sorry for the rant

Nick

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Firstly Nal0whs, I would like to say that most of what you have posted here seems to be quite considered, it is obvious however that you have become somewhat more verbose since your earlier predictions of currency appreciation have come to fruition (I guess that is only natural) One thing that you said recently though demonstrated that maybe not everything is as considered as it should be, you said that one long term benefit of the current situation is that Banks will in time reduce their interest rates to such a level that businesses including those foreign ones will be able to borrow money at sensible rates. Well, I am sorry but this little prediction of yours seems to hold no weight at all, in the UK and the States you can borrow as much hard currency as you want right now for very little indeed, when I left the UK a year ago the business that I ran had a 20 million sterling flexible credit line (About 40 Million US, for those Americans who I speak to who think the Dollar has higher value than sterling!) and that cost me about 0.5 percent a month a fixed loan of such an amount would be considerably less. OK so for your prediction to come true then first the banks here would have to be competative with such rates as that, which seems quite doubtfull and secondly if they were what interest rate would they be offering on savings??? Let me tell you, such a low one that if ANYONE had even one peso saved in a bank here they would have to be considered fit for placing in an institution!! Without the high interest rates offered on savings here who would risk it? The banks would go out of business over night as all money was transfered to the States or the UK where your money is at least safe!
Conclusion - Its not gonna happen, and if it does the country will have to file for bankruptcy!
I still stand behind what I said about interest rates. My prediction was not to become reality over night!

Let's look at a bit of recent American economic history (since the US is the most successful economy to date, though its on shaky grounds right now).

The early 1980s saw the largest and quickest reduction in inflation in recent U.S. history. By the late 1970s inflation had reached the double-digit range; in 1979, consumer prices were rising at a rate of 11.3 percent a year (if not, very close to that figure, I might be off by a point or two). In October 1979, only two months after becoming the chairman of the Federal Reserve (The American Central Bank), Paul Volcker announced that monetary policy would aim to reduce the rate of inflation - JUST LIKE LEONEL IS TRYING TO DO RIGHT NOW. This announcement began a period of tight money that, by 1983, brought the inflation rate down to about 3 percent from double digits!

How does such a monetary tightening influences interest rates? According to the theories, the answer depends on the time horizon. In the long run Volcker's change in monetary policy would lower inflation, and this in turn would lead to lower nominal interest rates. Yet the theory of liquidity preference predicts that, in the short run when prices are sticky, anti-inflationary monetary policy would lead to falling real money balances and higher nominal interest rates.

Both conclusions are consistent with experience. Nominal interest rates did fall in the 1980s in the US as inflation fell. But comparing the year before the October 1979 announcement and the year after, real money balances (M1 divided by the CPI) fell by around 8.3 percent and the nominal interest rate (on short-term commercial loans) rose from 10.1 percent to 11.9 percent. Hence, although a monetary tightening leads to lower interest rates IN THE LONG RUN, it leads to higher nominal interest rates in THE SHORT RUN.

Good thing for the Dominican Republic, that we are a relatively small economy, though the largest in the Central America-Caribbean region. The good thing about small economies is that they swing much quickly and easier between growth and decline than bigger economies. As such, it would take less time for the DR long term predictions to become true, contrary to how long it would take for an economy much bigger than ours.

In other words, the short term in the DR is much shorter and the long term comes much quicker to the DR than other larger economies. As such, don't jump to conclusion that my predictions are not valid, because the time period of transition is half way through as we speak. What Volcker did to the US to reduce inflation and interest rates (the tighter monetary policy) is what is being done right now here, in the DR and as such, the results will mirror those experienced by the US and all other capitalistic nations that have gone through such problems.

1. I was surprised to read about the large amount of foreign trade that exists between here an the US about 2.5 Billion in the last year, at todays rate does that mean that there will be 5 BILLION next year!!!???? or will the DR just export half as much or even less (This doesnt sound too good to me as 2.5bn is about 3k per person)
Given that the DR is tied up to the US economy like a parasite, US-DR trade will most likely decrease slightly, given to the increase of cost for US goods in the DR.

This is simply a wake up call to the DR to begin diversifying its trading habits with the other 140 or so nations of the world and not just the US and to further encourage the development of our own industries if we wish to be much more in charge of our own destiny.

2. Please somebody tell me who sets the exchange rate and what factors are considered in this process, and can somebody really buy a large amount of US from Banco Central at its published rates?
The exchange rate floats against the Dollar and Euro primarily. We are not allowed to fix it in any way, otherwise the IMF will impose their iron fist upon us. Remember, the borrower becomes the slave of the creditor while the outstanding balance is in place. The DR is a virtual slave of all its creditors, as such we must obey whatever they say, even if it is good or bad for us.

Nominal Exchange Rate is not nearly as important as the Real Exchange rate. Nominal exchange rate is the relative price of the currency of two countries. The real exchange rate is the relative price of the goods of two countries. That is, the real exchange rate tells us the rate at which we can trade the goods of one country for the goods of another.

For the sake of simplicity (and because many people here are more used to the US dollar), consider a single good produced in many countries: cars. Suppose an American car costs US$10,000 and a similar Japanese car costs 2,400,000 yen. To compare the prices of the two cars, we must convert them into a common currency. If a dollar is worth 120 yen, then the American car costs 1,200,000 yen. Comparing the price of the American car and the price of the Japanese car, the American car costs one-half of what the Japanese car costs. In other words, at current prices, we can exchange two American cars for one Japanese car. That is what the real exchange rate is.

The real exchange rate = Nominal Exchange Rate x Ratio of Price Levels

The determinants of the real exchange rate are as follows:

1. The real exchange rate is related to net exports. When the real exchange rate is lower, domestic goods are less expensive relative to foreign goods, and net exports are greater.

2. The trade balance (net exports) must equal the net capital outflow, which in turn equals saving minus investment. Saving is fixed by the consumption function and fiscal policy; investment is fixed by the investment function and the world interest rate.

3. Is the type of currency appreciation that we have seen here in the last few months unprecidented and if it isnt could someone give example of recent (Not the 1870's) cases and their outcome.
First, everybody must realize that the current appreciation of the peso is nothing more than the stabilization of the currency at its natural exchange rate. During Hipolito - because investors did not had faith in Hipolito and/or his policies - a huge premium was added to the Dominican exchange rate, pushing the price of the dollar to record highs. Now that Leonel is back, just by his mere presence has begun to put more confidence in the economy and his administration, simply based on his past experiences of economic growth and maintaining economic growth. Remember, when Leonel was in power 1996-2000, the DR economy was booming among the fastest in the world, even though the other booming economies of southeast Asia and elsewhere were experiencing economic meltdowns and Argentina went ballistic afterwards. The DR should have fallen with the rest of the clan at that time, and yet it didn't. That is mostly due to Leonel's economic policies! It's no secret that as soon that Hipolito took control, his economic initiatives became clear and 6 months into his administration the country was running into trouble, though Baninter simply made it much worst and Hipolito's loss of faith in the eyes of investors by the time Baninter happened simply did not made matters any better.

As such, the other country that experienced something similar to this in recent times was Mexico. Keep in mind, Mexico is way bigger than the DR (it's the 10th largest economy in the world and Mexico City alone is the 30th largest). As such, swing in the Mexican economy took a slight longer and a slight slower pace than in the DR, but the result are pretty much the same. What really helped Mexico was the Free Trade deal with NAFTA after its currency plummeted.

Guess what, the DR is now at the edge of starting the CAFTA free trade deal at the time that its rebounding from economic calamity. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what's going to happen next, and here is a hint, its good for everybody.

However, the downside is that we won't develop our industry any further with the free trade deals and we will depend on others for our own survival and many anglo-American companies will come in with heavy subsidies backed by their governments. Other than that, its a sweet deal in many ways.

Thanks, and sorry for the rant
No problem, I'm used to rants by now.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I think you are forgetting one thing about interest rates at the bank. If your options are risking your money investing in a new business vs. sticking it in the bank and grazing yourself off the 15 or 20% returns then there is no option. Stick it in the bank and that?s exactly what many people do.

In 1st world countries you can?t get this kind of return on deposits so the incentive is there to create/start a business that if run correctly, smartly and with good luck will produce a higher return on investment and that?s one of the factors for driving a healthy economy.

Also I think (maybe wrong) that you are applying 1st world economics to what will always be a 3rd world country. Bananas, sugar, baseball caps and beaches come anywhere close to competing with the economics of regions of the world rich with natural resources and established industry where these rules do apply.

As for the Peso vs. Dollar. If you look at the clues the way I do (using my home country as an example, Argentina), yes government is enslaved to the IMF but that does not mean that manipulating the exchange rate is not possible especially because it?s a closed exchange and as long as the IMF and or other creditors are not negatively impacted then it?s of little consequence to them, after all they are being paid in Dollars so in the end the burden fall on the population.

Hippo?s admin had Dollars (lot?s of ?em) and the rate goes to 50 to 1?Very convenient for them to pay out in Pesos?Leo?s admin has Pesos so lowering the rate fits the needs today, paying external debt and what not?Maybe the real rate should be, let?s say 35 or 30 to 1, so if you take the average of the Hippo?s highs and Leo?s lows, when this all gets sorted out and with time it will, then you?ll see that the obligations to the IMF and other creditors would have been met and the ones who have been hit hardest are small business and the poor. Typical of Latin-American politics.

Could be wrong but?

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Consider me one of the dense...but

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't claim to be an economist, but I still don't see how the Peso has been able to gain over 30% on the dollar from Sept to today. When the Euro, a stronger currency than both the US and Peso, has only manged to gain 6%.

I try to look at things from a common sense perspective, and this just doesn't make sense. Tell me that the in the last three months, the DR economy is doing better. Tell me that unemployment is on the decline. Tell me that the electrical problems in DR have dramatically gotten better. Tell me something positive........If these are the things that are suppose to happen that can explain this exchange rate, then why ain't I seeing it?

If what Nal0whsl says is true about "sticky prices"....then why have they been STUCK for the last three months at the same rate when the peso has appreciated. Do the powers that be in the retail/consumer arena know something we don't know? I understand that it takes time, but being, as you said, DR has a smaller economy than most, shouldn't we have seen lower prices by now?

And I've looked at the US markets during that same time period and the US economy is doing better. Even with the war, the Dow seems to be averaging over 10,000 for the last three months. Unemployement is on a decline. They even raised the interest rates this week. A sign that things are getting better in the US.

So if things are getting better in the US...and things are getting better in DR.....then why is the exchange not holding at a constant level of around 35 to 1. I can see the Peso holding steady at this rate, but for it to appreciate to today's rate and still keeps going down.......I"M sorry...........That just don't make sense.

my two cents..... :nervous:

Last edited:

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Currency Manipulation!! Period!!

I fear that Nalowhs is focusing on the wrong data. Likewise, nikkeiswetter has his eye on the real problem:

[from nikkeswetter post].

I find analogies to movements in US currency or inflation inapplicable here. When has the US $, or the US COLA, incresased or decreased 10 - 15 - 20% in 2 weeks. Ever?? 19th century? 20th century?
The DR Peso? Went from 35 to 27 - 28 in one month!! A 25 + % increase! In one month!! What free market forces could possible explain this? National? International? Inconceivable. Balance of payments? GDP changes! Budget edeficits? Simply inconceivable.
The real issues are not how much of how closely internal DR prices follow the aprecation or depreciation of the peso.
I suggest that Nalowhs consdier addressing the following topics:
a. "Who sets the exchange rate?" with due credit to nikkieswetter. What human being or group of human beings makes this decision? Weekly? Daily? With what frequency? Hint: it's not Alan Greenspan.
b. More importantly, who benefits financially from an artificialy & non-economicly justified low exchange rate? What social class? What economic class? The poor? The agricultural sector? The government? Those with inside information who know months or weeks in advance what the exchange rate will be on Dec. 1, 2204. On Feb. 1, 2005. On July 1, 2005.
In a 'recent' USA scandal in the 1970s - Watergate - the following advice was given: "Follow the money!"
Excellent advice, for all but Richard Nixon. I suggest that expatriates & intelligent Dominicans would be well advised to ask the same questions. The anwers, which should be avialabe with some digging, will identify the source of the painful & very successful 2004 DR currency mainipulations. Hint: it isn't Hippolito.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
While I am not an economist, I am also not illiterate...

What Nals has illustrated is what is called basic textbook Keynesian economic theory. This is a newer theory that was published in 1936 to help explain the price effects observed in the Great Depression. The basic assumption points to what John Keynes says is the inherent weakness to Adam Smith's classical approach (remember the 1776 "invisible hand," no need for gov't, Republican mantra?): monetary policy is not neutral in the REAL WORLD.

Many of you have excellently argued for your respective stances. However, what I find missing from Nals post is that Keynesian's argue that the occurance of price rigidity is possible, and even expected, in a monopolistically competitive market.

What does this means in terms of the assumptions used:
* Sellers are price makers
* Sellers DO NOT behave strategically
* Entry into market is completely blocked
* Buyers are price takers

So you'll take it and like it. In the interim, get another batch of women ready to got sell/prostitute themselves and pull in/pack up a few yolas.

Thus it does go back to

nikkeswetter said:
...who sets the exchange rate and what factors are considered in this process...?

Economics in DR does need to be treated differently from the US due to the extent of leakage, corruption, and misallocation of monies.

Toronto2inDR said:
Also I think (maybe wrong) that you are applying 1st world economics to what will always be a 3rd world country. Bananas, sugar, baseball caps and beaches come anywhere close to competing with the economics of regions of the world rich with natural resources and established industry where these rules do apply.

Truer words have not been spoken:

Toronto2inDR said:
...so in the end the burden fall on the population.

....the ones who have been hit hardest are small business and the poor. Typical of Latin-American politics.

At the end of the day, Nals is right, there will be some people who will make money...just not the ones who need it. What I suggest him to do is to review/get a refresher course in Development Economics.

-Best

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Well said!!

The obvious question of why don't the prices follow the drop/increase in the exchange rates is easily answered. Businesses MUST recover the cost of goods to be sold in order to survive! Those that don't recover those costs will eventually go bankrupt!
On the other hand, in this economy, where there is virtually no competetion between vendors of goods, prices remain inflated regardless of original costs.
It's the old "make hay while the sun shines" system of capturing as much profit as possible whhile public opinion is focused on other seemingly more important issues. That, and the inherent greediness of businesses for a high profit margin.
It's to be expected that the selling price of a particular comodity will remain high until demand for that product diminishes due to price structure.
It's just supply and demand at work. We may not like it, but that's the way things are.

Texas Bill

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
more to think about

If DR's economy is largely dependent on the free-zone and tourist industries, it would suggest that a large drop in the exchange rate in such a short time period would hurt both of these industries.

Free-Zone: Higher cost for replenishing inventories in the duty free-zones will surely lead to higher unemployment and lower wages since these options are the quickest way of lowering expenses to free up more cash for raw material purchases. This in turn will lead to less cash spent outside the zones by workers greatly impacting the local economy.
Another side effect is the increase in disgruntled employees since the remaining employees will be asked to make up the gap in production created by less workers.

Tourism: With a lower exchange rate, AI hotels will have to raise rates to meet expenses that are paid in pesos. This industry depends largely on local commodities to provide it's services such as the labor, foods, sun and beaches. With an increase in rates, potential vacationers will start looking at other options to spend their time and money. And with the new increase in minimum wages voted on by the new government, this will surely lead to higher rates.

So can someone explain....how is such a "steep" decrease in the exchange rate better for the DR economy. Mind you, I'm not saying that a lower rate is not what's desired, but I think a "slower" decline than what we have seen is definately better.

my two + two more cents

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nal0whs said:
After a long flight from Chile, I'm back in Quisqueya!

My my, its incredible all the rumors and negative attitudes towards the economic situation in the DR has mushroomed on DR1 during the time I was gone!

Let me explain a bit of economics here, because its obvious many people don't know enough to realize that the appreciation of the Peso is actually GOOD!
Let me explain some economics to you. In two months the peso against the US dollar went from 48 to 26 to one. Also in the same 2 months instead of a decrease in lets just say Presidente which was 150 pesos for a 6 pack it is now 180 which is a 20% difference HIGHER.

Dominicans only lose 20% of their buying power while those that rely on foreign earned income suffer a 70-100% loss in buying power.

So show me how you know enough about these things to say it is a good thing? (shaking head)

Scott

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Escott said:
Let me explain some economics to you. In two months the peso against the US dollar went from 48 to 26 to one. Also in the same 2 months instead of a decrease in lets just say Presidente which was 150 pesos for a 6 pack it is now 180 which is a 20% difference HIGHER.

Dominicans only lose 20% of their buying power while those that rely on foreign earned income suffer a 70-100% loss in buying power.

So show me how you know enough about these things to say it is a good thing? (shaking head)

Scott
Because I never said that in the short run things were not going to be tough!

In the long run it will work out for the better. The current crunch is the price we must pay for future success. You know, things never remain constant in anything.

Quite frankly, the long run is more important than the short run.

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Still waiting for an answer

Hi Guys

Thanks Nals for the response, whilst I think that you skirted around the issue of bank interest rates and didnt offer any more flesh to put on the bones of your previous argument I accept most of what else you wrote.

But still, I am waiting for an answer as to who or whom sets the daily exchange rate as published by Banco Central and can you actually buy large amounts of dollars from these guys at their published sell rate? As far as I can see BC sets a rate daily and the casa's de cambio and commercial banks all follow that rate, so whom inside BC and how do they determine the rate of exchange?? You would think that this would be an easy enough question to answer, no?

Escott, boy you really hit the nail on the head there my friend, I was going to post something similar in response to all those bleeding heart liberals out there who are either too dense or too rich to care about guys like us with real currency living over here!! The dominican population sure has been hurt by the rise in prices in relation to the dollar but not like hard currency owners on the way down. Guys like Escott and I not only have to face higher prices but LOWER INCOMES as well. This is what is technically termed in the world of economics as a 'DOUBLE WHAMMY' !! :eek:
Oh and whilst I am on the point how much have the dominican people been affected by all of this? I dont know too many personally but the Casinos, disco's, bar's and usual hangouts where I live in POP have been full all through this 'crisis' and I havent seen many business's closing (Infact I cant think of any, but I have seen new ones opening) so where was the problem?

P.S. I am currently keeping 4000 Pesos in a safe deposit box so that when the rate is at one to one in a few months I have got the air fare out of here!!!! ;)

Nick

cork

Aug 23, 2003
mathematics not economics

DR was sitting on a bunch of US$ but not enough to avoid bankruptcy.

DR takes their US$ (let's use $10,000,000) and buys RD$ at 45-1. They are sitting on RD$450,000,000.

Then good fortune comes their way, the peso gets real strong real fast. In two months they can sell their RD$450,000,000 at 25-1 for US$18,000,000 a neat profit of US$8,000,000 in 2 months.

What if the amount of US$ leftover from Hippo were in the 100's of millions?

Also of interest is that this peso thing comes at a time when the VAT tax increases by 4% and wages by 30%. The income tax was increased and new taxes placed on businesses. You wonder why the prices don't come down? The retailer is going to wait and see what the effect of these new costs of doing business are before they react to the windfall of a strong peso.

cork

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think I made my case already.

All that is left is for us to wait and watch it all unfold. Afterall, search my posts and tell me when have I predicted something in Dominican Economics that have not come true?

I'm not talking predictions as of this week or even as of August, since the full effect of the economic transformation is still in its process, but I am talking about my economic predictions from the Spring of 2004 and prior to that.

All that is need it is a bit of patience, because time moves a bit slow and only through time will everything be seen.

By the way, the economy will end this year with a positive increase of about 1%. That means, more businesses are opening than closing, that is a sharp contrast when Hippo was around. That means more wealth is being created and thus, more jobs.

Next year the economy is slated to increase by 5%!!!!!! People, that is fast economic growth by any standards and those are predictions from the World Bank, IMF, and the CIA!

Keep in mind, Leonel has not even been ruling for a year and things are looking bright already. Hipolito had 4 years and everything looked gloomy then.

The facts don't lie.

Interesting how the average Dominican seems more relax now that the economic transformation is taking place. During Hippos time it was the average Dominican screaming in the streets and protesting for the collapse of the Peso and the Foreigners were simply saying "Oh, how sad, oh well, its good for me!"

Now, the Dominican joe feels much more at piece since his expense has gone down (Diario Libre recently showed a decline of 22% plus or minus a point or two for the Canasta Basica or Canasta Familiar), but the foreigners who survive as if they still live in the US buying imported items are now the ones crying and whinning.

People, it will all be fine and well by this time next year. In fact, by the Spring we will see the positive effects a bit more clearly than it currently is.

As I said before, all that we need to do is wait.

And remember, you are in the Dominican Republic. This is not the place or time to be whinning because whinning gets you NOWHERE!

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks Nals for the response, whilst I think that you skirted around the issue of bank interest rates and didnt offer any more flesh to put on the bones of your previous argument I accept most of what else you wrote.
I didn't skirted around the issue, its just that you need to give it more time. Things don't happen over night. Now, if by April things don't look as sweet, then ask me what went wrong, but given my previous "performance" in these predicting deals, I don't think there will be a need for such action. Lets wait and see.

But still, I am waiting for an answer as to who or whom sets the daily exchange rate as published by Banco Central and can you actually buy large amounts of dollars from these guys at their published sell rate? As far as I can see BC sets a rate daily and the casa's de cambio and commercial banks all follow that rate, so whom inside BC and how do they determine the rate of exchange?? You would think that this would be an easy enough question to answer, no?
The daily exchange rate is not set or fixed by anyone other than the market forces responding to government fiscal policy and the rules of supply and demand.

However, if you are wondering where this balance of prices for the currency takes place or who looks over these figures, you are going to have to look in the Foreign Exchange Market.

That market (more commonly known as the FX) is where all currencies of the world are traded and they hand the info. at the end of the day down to the bulk of the central banks of the world. The FX is located in NYC I believe, but I'm not too sure about its location.

Usually the info is then revised by the treasurer, but in reality the treasurer here in the DR simply looks over the info and signs (to accept and take the responsibility of the accuracy of the information), not really asking much questions or demanding more "proof" that such exchange is acccurate, simply because alot of respect is given to the Foreign Exchange market. Any arbitrgeur knows about this market, its just like the stock markets and the commodities markets, just that the FX deals with currencies.

P.S. I am currently keeping 4000 Pesos in a safe deposit box so that when the rate is at one to one in a few months I have got the air fare out of here!!!! ;)
Nick, remember its Leonel whose the president. He won't allow the peso to reach a par with the US Dollar. Only Trujillo did that and only Trujillo paid the debt! Ever wonder what was the purpose of "La Obelisca" on the Santo Domingo Malecon? Commemorating the payment of the national debt by Trujillo. The guy was an S.O.B., but he had one of the biggest sense of pride for being a Dominican and sometimes, it showed quite positively towards the republic.

I mean, what other dictator in the world paid the national debt of their country? What other dictator put the value at par with the US dollar according to market forces? What other dictator caused the greatest level of prosperity, economic growth, and wealth in the history of that given country?

Only Trujillo did such thing, though he was one heck of an S.O.B.

President Nixon once said "Trujillo may be an S.O.B., but at least he is the Americans S.O.B."

I think otherwise...

I remember in the mid to late 1980s when the Peso was around RD$6 to US$1. Aah, the memories of a strong currency!

By the way, we can stop using the word crisis. We are not in a crisis anymore, the last time I checked we are under a recovery as we speak.

Last edited:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
I see the shill is back from vacation. You are right on time once again.

You have failed to answer one question, so I'll do it for you. The exchange rate is set by five families that control the large banks and exchange houses.

Try to buy a large amount of dollars and see what happens. No one is going to sell you a large amount of dollars at these rates. What does that tell you?

If this is the real exchange rate, why not tell us all where we can buy $100,000 USD? How about $1,000,000 USD? I know there would be no problems selling that US currency for inorganic pesos.

When the peso was devaluing, the prices were raised on a daily basis. Many times stores would call to get the rate right at the moment to tell the client how much an item costs. Now it has been 3 months and the prices are the same or higher. Sticky prices or sticky hands?

The economists here are starting to wake up as this has been the topic in El Caribe and RNN. They have stated that the products here are priced as if the rate is OVER 50 to 1.

What Leonel has done, with the cooperation of the five families that control the exchange rate, is placed a 50% - 100% VAT tax across the board on EVERYTHING in the DR. This tax applies to everyone. The foreigners, tourists, dominicans. This hurts everyone here.

The five families and Leonel are staying well ahead of the curve, so it doesn't hurt them.

There are plenty of companies that are currently packing up and leaving. Many more are planning where they are going to relocate. The free zones are being hit very hard right now. Who will replace these jobs when they leave?

In the world currency exchange markets, I would suspect short orders against the peso are being bought at record levels. I don't have actual figures to back that up. Does anyone know where to find that information?

All of this will come down hard on the DR. Everyone here will have to pay. But this seems to be the dominican mind set. Get theirs and not worry about what happens to the rest.

The longer this goes on, the greater the loss will be. I'm waiting to see how much damage they are willing to inflict on their people. At the current rate, I don't think the country can afford this until the holidays.