Travel Alert - Road Conditions - La Romana Airport

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I normally would not be making a report of this type because most of the road conditions in the D.R. are subject to improvement yet I cannot let this one by La Romana Airport slip by.

There is a construction project on the road that leads to La Romana airport from La Romana/Casa de Campo/Altos de Chavon within the area of the airport. A trench is being excavated on the airport side of the road. What this is doing is constricting the remaining transit area to one-and-a-half lanes. The literal downside of this, the shoulder opposit the trench is inclined to such an extent it tends to direct you off the road into the drainage area and who knows what else. The aggravating condition to this, is opposing traffic (especially heavy trucks & buses) want to adhere to the one flat travel lane rather than concede themselves to the inclined shoulder to allow opposit traffic to pass. This leads to traffic Mexican stand-offs or vehicles passing in opposit directions with the opposing vehicle to their right, a recipe for disaster. Roadside courtesy does not exist in the D.R., unless you are broken down. The other remaining factor is the trench itself, there are no barriers of any sort to prevent one from getting a first hand view of the project.

The tourist who is renting a car and heading towards La Romana will get a quick initiation to Dominican driving culture. Even for the locals, this place should be avoided at night. No roadside lighting (except in front of the airport), beams from opposing vehicles blind you, another recipe for disaster.

I cannot arrive at a date when this project will be finished. However, when I do pass the area I will provide updates. I hope any other poster traversing by will take the opportunity to provide timely information.

Regards,
PJT