Mobile laptop wireless carrier in DR?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ben Dover... You do not need a router nearby. Yes, you can walk around with your laptop or PDA and get Internet access.

Verizon and Centennial both offer a 3G network so you can use your laptop or PDA to browse the Internet. You can either access the network via a wireless card in your laptop or using a 3G phone connected to your laptop. If you can get their cellular service you can usually get 3G service.

My guess is that Verizon would be better supported. I hear that Centennial use some of Verizons 3G network for better coverage.

Verizon info: http://www.datamovil.net.do/flashmovil_3g/index.asp
Centennial info: http://www.centennialrd.com/servicios/internet_movil.php

The DR has one of the most advanced communications networks in Latin America.
e.g. We have had DSL at DR1 (Santo Domingo) for the past 7 years.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ben Dover said:
No one is trying to discredit the DR's connectivity, but not needing a router is news to me. Here in canada it is a requirement to get service. Unless you are using a cell phone hookup or a card that emulates one for yuo laptop or pDA. In this case, ya fine, you get a glorified dial-up connection and you can walk around with it.

I'm talking apples, you oranges, unless it is very differentr here in the DR compared to Canada. Having consluted with IT people here to be sure, I cconfirmed that you cannot get hi speed here and walk around aimlessly with a laptop an no router nearby. Airports have them. Hotels have them.

That just shows you how advanced the DR is compared to Canada in regards to connectivity :)

3G: 3rd Generation Wirless Network

Yes you can rome around the DR with your laptop and get a highspeed connection. It's not DSL speeds here in the DR, but it's better than dial-up.
2 Mbps in a fixed or stationary wireless environment and upto 384 Kbps in a mobile environment. These speeds are improving with each generation.

Current Verizon coverage:
Santo Domingo 100%, Santiago, La Romana, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana y Ban?.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ben Dover said:
Obviously 3G is 3rd generation. It seems however, that for a cost effective solution in a localized area such as an appartment, the best thing is to have a router and DSL connection. We needn't argue about the commercial quality of the routers because I think we are in agreement now; that it depends on the scale.

Read the original posters question.
He never mentions apartment buildings.

"Mobile laptop wireless carrier in DR?"

Ben Dover said:
Incidentally Robert, I would like to get Network+, Security+ and CCNA certs. Are there places that I can write these exams in the DR? I assume I will have to travel to Santo Domingo. Can they be done in English?

I have no idea. But if I was you I would do it in Canada.
My experience here is they teach techs to remember, not to think.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sosua, Cabarete - many many local connections with a wireless node somewhere. I was visiting friends living close to the beach between Sosua and Cabarete and turned on my laptop... what do you know, I found 4 unprotected wireless networks.... Try it sometime if you have a technical bent - its quite fun.

I do not know of a place where you can do your technical certification tests in the DR. I would not trust such a certifying authority anyway, so, perhaps it is better to do these somewhere else.

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Let me get this straight:

I can go on vacation to Playa Dorada, turn on the laptop, and (possibly) get an internet link, without being near a "hot zone" or whatever they're called?

:eek:

Tom

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
OttawaTom said:
Let me get this straight:

I can go on vacation to Playa Dorada, turn on the laptop, and (possibly) get an internet link, without being near a "hot zone" or whatever they're called?

:eek:

Tom

You need to be either in a hot zone with a WiFi enabled laptop or have a laptop with a 3G wirless card or a 3G phone connected to your laptop. To get 3G access you will need to have subscribed to a either the Verizon or Centennial service.

As Chris, lots of unprotected networks about :)

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Clarification

As I read this thread I see there is likely confusion over two different methods of "Mobile laptop" connectivity.

There are two entirely different air-interface methods, available and supported both in North America as well as the DR. They are either "Wi-Fi," a wireless access point ("hot spot") connected to the Internet using public, unlicensed frequencies such as 802.11 b, g or a, (this all encompasses the first type) OR connectivity via a wireless carrier ("cellular" company). Wi-Fi standards permit connections between computers many times faster than virtually any Internet connection publicly available. For Internet connection use they are limited only by the throughput of the ISP they are connected to.

The second option (cellular) is licensed spectrum under which the user must subscribe to access service... like your cell phone. As mentioned, some DR carriers (cellular companies) support various methods of connectivity, either IP based, or circuit switched (dialup). This may be done in some cases via a connection from the phone to the computer (USB or serial), or a dedicated PCMCIA card. The speeds under this form are entirely network dependent, and even most modern North American wireless air interface standards (CDMA 1XRTT or GSM GPRS) allow downstream speeds of only 128 kbps or less (usually less, often much less), and is of course subject to the RF level and with CDMA, network traffic loads as well)... again, network dependent. Faster systems are being deployed, such as CDMA EVDO or GSM EDGE, but are not yet widely in use. But in case this is not yet clear, a laptop user cannot access this method without being a subscriber to a wireless carrier... often as a dedicated "data" customer. Again, the hardware methods vary.

You can't show up at Playa Dorada, power on your laptop, and use this. (Cellular) Only the hotel or recent visitors can verify if public and/or hotel guest Wi-Fi is there if you have a laptop with "wireless," 95% of the time, meaning Wi-Fi, not cellular.

Why do I explain... Good question....

I just read the well intentioned, or perhaps now, well-deleted, posts of Ben Dover and sense an eagerness to consult in matters of wireless connectivity, yet detect perhaps a lack of experience and knowledge. I don't enjoy seeing folks being given bad advice if I know it to be contrary to fact.

I am hardly an expert in these matters... more of a hobbyist ... but I suspect I may be saying here what other readers far more knowledgeable than me have been tempted to: Ben Dover, you may want to take a deep breath... do a little reading...

Internet, computing, wireless connectivity ... it all can be quite overwhelming for sure... but please don't add to people's confusion. It's just not helpful.

germish

Oct 22, 2004
Festero said:
As I read this thread I see there is likely confusion over two different methods of "Mobile laptop" connectivity.

There are two entirely different air-interface methods, available and supported both in North America as well as the DR. They are either "Wi-Fi," a wireless access point ("hot spot") connected to the Internet using public, unlicensed frequencies such as 802.11 b, g or a, (this all encompasses the first type) OR connectivity via a wireless carrier ("cellular" company). Wi-Fi standards permit connections between computers many times faster than virtually any Internet connection publicly available. For Internet connection use they are limited only by the throughput of the ISP they are connected to.

The second option (cellular) is licensed spectrum under which the user must subscribe to access service... like your cell phone. As mentioned, some DR carriers (cellular companies) support various methods of connectivity, either IP based, or circuit switched (dialup). This may be done in some cases via a connection from the phone to the computer (USB or serial), or a dedicated PCMCIA card. The speeds under this form are entirely network dependent, and even most modern North American wireless air interface standards (CDMA 1XRTT or GSM GPRS) allow downstream speeds of only 128 kbps or less (usually less, often much less), and is of course subject to the RF level and with CDMA, network traffic loads as well)... again, network dependent. Faster systems are being deployed, such as CDMA EVDO or GSM EDGE, but are not yet widely in use. But in case this is not yet clear, a laptop user cannot access this method without being a subscriber to a wireless carrier... often as a dedicated "data" customer. Again, the hardware methods vary.

You can't show up at Playa Dorada, power on your laptop, and use this. (Cellular) Only the hotel or recent visitors can verify if public and/or hotel guest Wi-Fi is there if you have a laptop with "wireless," 95% of the time, meaning Wi-Fi, not cellular.

Why do I explain... Good question....

I just read the well intentioned, or perhaps now, well-deleted, posts of Ben Dover and sense an eagerness to consult in matters of wireless connectivity, yet detect perhaps a lack of experience and knowledge. I don't enjoy seeing folks being given bad advice if I know it to be contrary to fact.

I am hardly an expert in these matters... more of a hobbyist ... but I suspect I may be saying here what other readers far more knowledgeable than me have been tempted to: Ben Dover, you may want to take a deep breath... do a little reading...

Internet, computing, wireless connectivity ... it all can be quite overwhelming for sure... but please don't add to people's confusion. It's just not helpful.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Last edited:

germish

Oct 22, 2004
Robert said:
Read the original posters question.
He never mentions apartment buildings.

"Mobile laptop wireless carrier in DR?"

You are correct. I was confused with the other thread on hi-speed internet in an appartment complex. My bad.

Robert said:
I have no idea. But if I was you I would do it in Canada.
My experience here is they teach techs to remember, not to think.

I was pretty sure it was hopeless and that Canada/US were the places to do this, but it was worth a shot. I'll check the Comptia website, but more likely will write the exams on a return visit to the frigid North.