First Visit to Santiago, La Rep. Dominicana

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Hi, y'all, this is my first posting although I feel as if I know several people already. I have been reading at this site for about five months, preparatory to my inaugural trip to La Republica Dominicana. I left Houston October 5 and planned to stay until November 8. Unfortunately, I had to curtail my trip and leave a week early when my father had a heart attack. He is on the mend now and my fervent hope is that I can return to Santiago some fine day. Never have I met more hospitable people! I don't know if I inspire pity or if they are naturally kind, but I suspect it is the latter--perhaps a little of the former!

I am a retired teacher, a survivor of 26 years in the classroom, the last 18 in that very special place called "Sixth Grade." I taught world geography and for years I had a mental list of places I yearned to see. Santiago and Santo Domingo ranked near the top, and the reality of both surpassed all expectations.

My apartment was located near the Iglesia de La Senora Altagracias and I took the "A" concho to the intersection closest to the Berlitz Institute for my classes. I made friends with several fellow passengers who invited me for coffee and I gladly accepted. I loved the countryside, too. With my teacher and a couple of other students, we visited coffee plantations and several small communities between Santiago and Luperon. I especially enjoyed a day spent in Moca and that area.

When I felt the need for more Americano cafe, I strolled down to the Hotel Aloha Sol where I could enjoy a cup aking to what I drink in Texas. I loved the corner stores where I could buy Presidente beer (better than Coors and Turbo Dog and Heineken), toilet paper, fruit and delicious candy. The first time someone offered me a taste of candy on a knife's edge on the bus to Santo Domingo, I thought he was going to assault me. I didn't notice the candy--only the knife but then I am from Texas! I spent an hour or so after my classes ended strolling through the numerous lovely parks of Santiago, sipping some heavenly fruity concoction I had bought from a cart.

I shopped, ate my fill of plantains and rice and perfectly seasoned pollo at many different restaurants, visited grammar schools, both public and private, to observe how their classes were taught.

I would like to publicly thank Hillbilly for his gracious assistance; I had sent him several e-mails since last spring when this trip began to take shape, and although my premature leavetaking preventing our meeting, I feel as if I know him and his family already. Thank you so much!!

Camp David was as spectacular as those of you who recommended it said it would be. I went twice--once in the daytime and another day for dinner. The skyline was incredible.

The monuments and museums in the Zona Colonial of Santo Domingo were fascinating. I wish all my students down through the years could have been with me. No textbook can adequately depict what those places are like.

I realize this is rather rambling and I will try with future postings to be more organized, but I must say that while I relished every aspect of my sojourn--the different foods, the misas in the catedral and smaller churches in the countryside and in my neighborhood, the spectacular terrain (and wasn't God in a good mood when he created the islands?)--the best asset of your fair land is its citizenry. I have traveled quite a bit in the states, Europe, Canada, and of course, our neighbor to the south, Mexico, but never have I been welcomed as I was in the Dom. Rep. To a person, everyone was gracious and kind, eager to help when I needed help. I should say here that I am obviously of "a certain age" and for this trip I was husbandless, BUT I had no trouble. I stumbled upon a group of young men playing dominos outside a little store one early evening and they invited me to join them. I had a blast--hadn't played much since I was little--think Ike was in the Casa Blanca and I played with my granddaddy and favorite uncles.

Those of you who can call Santiago home are quite lucky, indeed. I wish you all the best and I will add to this too-lengthy-for-one-read post when I think the majority may have recovered!!

Saludos,
Nancybelle

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Very good, Nancy. Honestly, I really liked your post and I am thirsty for more. I would love to see more of your posts relating your experience in DR. I am glad your father is recuperating well.

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
I thoroughly enjoyed..

Nancybelle, you have a delightfully quaint way of narrating your experiences which I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I look forward to reading more of your exciting adventures in Republica Dominicana.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is a Texas Lady!

She found herself a nicel little hotel over in Los Pepines, near where my boys get their ice cold Presidente on hot afternoons (an some hot mornings, too)...in her location she was outstandingly lucky. She likes beer and she "just happened" to end up in that location.

We didn't get together because I was in the middle of my semester witha a full load of classes, and a grandson to look after. My major loss. We talked on the phone and we communicated on the internet and we were a mile apart. A very very dear friend runs Berlitz here in Santiago....

Oh well NancyBelle, I do hope you were "infected" with Santiago and that you will grace out city again in the not too distant future...

HB, admiringly..:D:D

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
A great post.

I loved this post and wish more people came to experience the DR, or any other place in this small planet of ours, with open mind, heart and eyes.

Unfortunately, most people come for a very limited experience staying mostly in the AI's and the immediate vicinities without going out and experiencing, good or bad, the real DR. At least Americans are not that adventurous, as a general rule. Europeans though, will go out and try just about anything and enjoy their experiences a lot more.

Hope you return soon and have even more good experiences, nancybelle.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Spirit7 said:
Unfortunately, most people come for a very limited experience staying mostly in the AI's and the immediate vicinities without going out and experiencing, good or bad, the real DR. At least Americans are not that adventurous, as a general rule. Europeans though, will go out and try just about anything and enjoy their experiences a lot more.
Why is that?

It's obvious why Europeans would be so inclined to go off the beaten path, so to speak.

But, why are Americans in general (though not all) not too adventurous? Maybe its only Americans who grew up in the East? Remember, Nancy is from Texas, a state that was settled by the most mobile of people.

But, then again, NY was also populated by the most mobile Europeans for the most part. These were people that took chances and quickly moved around until they "hit gold", so to speak.

Have Americans simply becomed spoiled? Or are they simply reserving their energy for the time when they will need to really move around, given that nothing last forever, especially riches?

Just wondering.

BTW, great post Nancy!

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Why is that?

It's obvious why Europeans would be so inclined to go off the beaten path, so to speak.

But, why are Americans in general (though not all) not too adventurous? Maybe its only Americans who grew up in the East? Remember, Nancy is from Texas, a state that was settled by the most mobile of people.

But, then again, NY was also populated by the most mobile Europeans for the most part. These were people that took chances and quickly moved around until they "hit gold", so to speak.

Have Americans simply becomed spoiled? Or are they simply reserving their energy for the time when they will need to really move around, given that nothing last forever, especially riches?

Just wondering.

BTW, great post Nancy!

Excellent!!!