Best way to go from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana?

Ginnerz

Nov 16, 2004
I think the my title pretty much tells you all what I'm looking for. I'm going to be in Puerto Plata from January to March and wanted to attented a cousin's wedding in Punta Cana. My friends and I are willing to rent a car but want to look at all our options...such as bus, mule..you name it! :) Any takers for this one?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Ginnerz said:
I think the my title pretty much tells you all what I'm looking for. I'm going to be in Puerto Plata from January to March and wanted to attented a cousin's wedding in Punta Cana. My friends and I are willing to rent a car but want to look at all our options...such as bus, mule..you name it! :) Any takers for this one?

Hi,

driving is an option. there are no buses goint from puerto plata to punta cana direct. You can go as far as higuey. Your best shot is to fly. good luck.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Ginnerz said:

It's a simple matter of cost vs. convenience. If you have several going you would save by renting a large car or van. Keep in mind that although it doesn't look that far on the map, it is an all day drive (each way) . Your cost for 2 days rental and gas would probably be about US300. If you can do the same day round trip on the plane, leaving PP at 7:15 and returning at 6:15 its US120 each. If you drive, you would no doubt need accomodations in Punta Cana for a night, which is fine if you aren't locked into your hotel in PP. Otherwise you will be paying for 2 rooms that night, and the plane looks like a better deal.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
It's a simple matter of cost vs. convenience. If you have several going you would save by renting a large car or van. Keep in mind that although it doesn't look that far on the map, it is an all day drive (each way) . Your cost for 2 days rental and gas would probably be about US300. If you can do the same day round trip on the plane, leaving PP at 7:15 and returning at 6:15 its US120 each. If you drive, you would no doubt need accomodations in Punta Cana for a night, which is fine if you aren't locked into your hotel in PP. Otherwise you will be paying for 2 rooms that night, and the plane looks like a better deal.
Sweetdbt is correct & hit the nail on the head. I've done it by car & by bus; the car is more expensive; but if ? persons split the cost. it works out. The busese are good from POP to SD; then - ? Regardless, it's both a full & tiring day. No easy & fast way to do it, other than air. Safe journey.