What is the timeline???

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
I have a question that I am sure has been answered before. I have searched the archives and could not find a direct answer. I know that for the interview for a fiancee visa, one must take along certain documents including a passport to the embassy. I know that it is wise for the fiancee/sponsor to be present for the interview. My question is once the interview is complete, how long does it take to get a decision? If it is approved, what is the timeline from the approval to the actual departure date? Is there a delay or a lengthy process or is it something that can be wrapped up within a week? Can someone who has been through the process respond. I guess that I should say that this is for a visa to the US.

Before anyone decides to takes this off of the topic, let me start by saying that I have known my fiancee for quite a while. I am secure in my relationship so I did not need to ask the "What is your Opinion" questions. He does meet HB 3 golden rules (yeah!) and he has never once had a sick relative or a need for money. ;)

Thanks!
Tata

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
In most cases a decision will be made at the interview and the visa given the same or next day. If there is a doubt to the validity of the marriage they can either deny or put you on "administrative review" (a black hole meaning they'll get back to you after futrther investigation which could last from a few months to over a year).

From the time the Dominican citizen is granted the visa they have 6 months to enter the US from the day the visa is stamped in the passport (but needless to say they could also leave the DR immediately once the visa is issued).

Hope that helps.

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Thank You!

Jeanmarie-

Thank you for the direct and quick response. I just hate going into situations without at least some knowledge of the process. I like knowing what my next step is going to be based on whatever decisions are made.

Tata