Reggaeton!!!!!

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
Hey dont know about everyone else but one thing I loved about visiting the Dominican Republic was the music. I have now discovered Reggaeton and I think it is great!!! We bought a couple of cd's from someone while we we there and I really like Daddy Yank. But I wondered if anyone can tell me how I can get hold of any more as I am now back in England!!! I find it really hard to find any good websites about it. Anyone got any ideas any ideas will be much appreciated.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Reggeaton

abba23 said:
Hey dont know about everyone else but one thing I loved about visiting the Dominican Republic was the music. I have now discovered Reggaeton and I think it is great!!! We bought a couple of cd's from someone while we we there and I really like Daddy Yank. But I wondered if anyone can tell me how I can get hold of any more as I am now back in England!!! I find it really hard to find any good websites about it. Anyone got any ideas any ideas will be much appreciated.
You can buy them from WWW.amazon.com

Just type in Reggaeton and you will have the best reggeaton in the market

You should also look into Reggeaton from Don Omar, Luny tune, Noriega, Don Chezina, Tego Calderon,

The current hit playing in many clubs is; Oye Mi Canto.
Also Look up Vuela Vuela in Bachareggeaton...it sounds tight.

If you dont have any luck just email me and i can burn you some copies of my reggeaton collection.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
AAAAAAHHHHHHHH DADDY YANKEE !!!

someones discovered GASOLINA !!!!! Amazing song !!!! ive been home for a week and it feels longer than the 3 weeks that i just spent there !! Commin February ...

Antonia Preer

Aug 20, 2004
MrMike said:
Here's hoping reggueton migrates completely and permanently to England and doesn't come back. Feel sorry for you English people but better you than me...

I second that

prismaspeck

Aug 29, 2004
show some tolerance

I'm not a total fan of reggeton and I don't really know that much about it (I really like other types of music) but it's fun some times...so those who say that the stuff should migrate...well have a little bit of tolerance, some of you might have tasted those remarks from you're parents about the music you used to like so...let everyone enjoy whatever it is they like to listen to, so what if it is bachata, merengue reggeton,tipica,rock, pop,classical,whatever....there's enough for all tastes.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
prismaspeck said:
I'm not a total fan of reggeton and I don't really know that much about it (I really like other types of music) but it's fun some times...so those who say that the stuff should migrate...well have a little bit of tolerance, some of you might have tasted those remarks from you're parents about the music you used to like so...let everyone enjoy whatever it is they like to listen to, so what if it is bachata, merengue reggeton,tipica,rock, pop,classical,whatever....there's enough for all tastes.

Wanna trade next-door neighbors with me? My parents and I do NOT like the same kind of music, but I don't subject them or anyone else to mine when they are trying to sleep in their own homes.

If the people who listened to Reggueton weren't so rude, I might give it a chance - but since I am forced to listen to it at high decibels by inconsiderate deported drug dealers it just makes my blood boil.

prismaspeck

Aug 29, 2004
that I understand

MrMike said:
Wanna trade next-door neighbors with me? My parents and I do NOT like the same kind of music, but I don't subject them or anyone else to mine when they are trying to sleep in their own homes.

If the people who listened to Reggueton weren't so rude, I might give it a chance - but since I am forced to listen to it at high decibels by inconsiderate deported drug dealers it just makes my blood boil.

That I get, there used to be a dump of a bar on the road that blasted bachata all night long and it made me hate it for such a long time...I also hava a neighbor who listens to different types of music so loud and everybody hates him for it...but the thing is that it's not the reggueton listenes that are rude...it's just that many people are rude and they will impose their tastes on everybody else, but that's been happening in DR long before Reggueton ever existed.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
The reason for the loud music

prismaspeck said:
That I get, there used to be a dump of a bar on the road that blasted bachata all night long and it made me hate it for such a long time...I also hava a neighbor who listens to different types of music so loud and everybody hates him for it...but the thing is that it's not the reggueton listenes that are rude...it's just that many people are rude and they will impose their tastes on everybody else, but that's been happening in DR long before Reggueton ever existed.

As you can see. Many Dominicans grow up in poverty and when they can afford something they like to show it off to axiom. You can see this with wardroves, if they can afford a tommy hilfiger, nautica, diesel etc.. they will wear them everyday. With the music, having a stereo system, being able to compete with others and being branded as having the loudest system is the ultimate ectasy to the Dominicans.

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
MrMike said:

Hey I didnt realise I would start such a heated debate about Reggaeton!!!

But come on Mr Mike you can't brand all listeners of Reggaeton as rude and inconsiderate!! Those neighbours of yours may be inconsiderate but not everyone is trying to force it upon you.

Chill out a bit and give it a chance - you might end up liking it!! :)

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
MrMike said:
Wow that wasn't general or ignorant.
abba23's last comment is on point.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Stogord=Ignorancy

Stodgord,

Your are obviously as ingnorant and closed minded as those few Dominicans you socialize with. Watch your mouth and don't generalize and entire culture. Not all Dominicans are like those you mention. I can afford to buy a 100K+ plus Mercedes but I won't buy it. I like to be humble. I make good enou money, but I don't tell everyone the amount (read: HUMBLE). I know many Dominicans who have a lot of money and they don't advertise it. We are not all the same. :angry:

I can't say this enough times. Don't generalize a population. I'm pretty sure everywhere you go you will find people like that. They will live in poverty and when they acquire something they have never experienced they willl flaunt it. It's human behavior to do so. Just that some of us can control that urge. :angry:

I have seen your typical "white trash," or "Indian/Pakistani 7-11 workers," and "gangster blacks," but I DO NOT generalize them.
You know why??
Because I have seen my share of all those nationalities in other fields, including my field-Medicine. :angry:

It looks like you have to get away from your computer screen and socialize with a different population of Dominicans.
Variation in life is good. :angry:

Sorry to everyone else, but when someone trys to degrade us I become like a Lioness defending her cub. :rambo:

PS. Mr. Mike you can also partially take this for you, due to your Reggaeton(pls. take notice of the spelling) comment. ;)

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
And you can partially take a long walk off a short ...whatever.

Do you know my neighbors? No. So you are ignorant of my situation and your urge to comment based on ignorance of my situation makes you the one generalizing, since I am very familiar with my own neighbors while you have no idea what you are talking about.

Someone PM'ed me asking what kind of music I listen to, but that's just the point - no one who doesn't invade my personal space will ever know.

The kind of lack of consideration I am talking about is a matter of life and death, not just personal preference.

I have an aquaintance who is a big reggaeton fan. Haven't seen him for a few days because he has been in jail, turns out he killed a couple of people (by accident) in his reggaeton thump-mobile because not only is it not a matter of concern to him whether other people wnat to hear the offensive, vulgar lyrics, but but the same lack of concern apparently applies to pedestrians and motorists.

So reggaeton kills, and insensetive reggaeton listeners kill. I am anti-reggaeton so y'all can just deal with it.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
MrMike said:
So reggaeton kills, and insensetive reggaeton listeners kill. I am anti-reggaeton so y'all can just deal with it.
hahaha that was like the funniest thing I heard in a long time!!

L-dzzy

Nov 7, 2004
Reggaeton is definetly great music. Different variations of it - make it appealing. All over N.Y. clubs are playing it often. It's becoming mainstream. It won't be long before this music starts hitting the top of the Billboard charts (Nore's "oye mi canto" is currently 12th).

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
It's part of the Dominican culture

If you don't like it.......go back to the USA, England, Canada.....wherever.

The first thing I often hear when I get off the plane is....REGGGAETON! and I am glad to be here.

-Tim

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
I feel ya

:eek:gre:
M :ogre: :ogre: rMike said:

Here in NY there is such a thing as "Hookie Parties" and thats just a party by sex charged teenagers playing hooky from school. Those usually are from 8 in the morning till about 3 in the afternoon. and sound checks begin as early as 6 in the morning or as soon as their parents leave the house.
I love reggaeton which is said to "be played at high volume usually in a residential area" but not at 6 in the morning

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
twincactus said:
If you don't like it.......go back to the USA, England, Canada.....wherever.

The first thing I often hear when I get off the plane is....REGGGAETON! and I am glad to be here.

-Tim

What is up with you tourists that are so eager to dish out relocation advice?

Who are you to declare that rudeness, vulgarity and sexism are inextricable parts of Dominican culture?

Has it ocurred to you that most reggaeton is Puerto Rican? The Dominican government has just finnished banning the most popular "tunes" from the airwaves because they are so vulgar.

I bet you don't even speak spanish.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
ummm I'm married to a Dominicana like you

MrMike said:
What is up with you tourists that are so eager to dish out relocation advice?

Who are you to declare that rudeness, vulgarity and sexism are inextricable parts of Dominican culture?

Has it ocurred to you that most reggaeton is Puerto Rican? The Dominican government has just finnished banning the most popular "tunes" from the airwaves because they are so vulgar.

I bet you don't even speak spanish.

I'm not a tourist. Anyway I KNOW reggaeton is Puerto Rican, and so does my Dominican wife and everybody else who listens to it down there So what's the point?

I am 43 and well I guess I'm not a prude either. They said the same about my music when I was young. Banning anything by any government is not an answer. If fact, most of the time it just makes the banned item more popular because it is "taboo". Changing attitudes is what you want to do, and I have no problem with it. But don't tell me what NOT to listen to. The problem is your neighbor, NOT reggaeton. Would it be any different if they were balsting say merengue over there? I don't know you and don't intend to start a flame war, but why be so confrontational? Relax, you are on a tropical island......hehe.

My Spanish is getting better BTW.

-Tim