Car Taxes

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
Would anyone know how much will "PORT AUTHORITY" charge for sending a TOYOTA CAMRY SE 01 from the states (FL) ???

How much taxes will they charge? Is there any legal issues that could come up with this or papers other than the car title? Does it make any difference what port do you use: HAINA/SDQ/PUERTO PLATA, or is the same taxes on of the country's ports?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've also heard that for December they give some tax breaks. Thank you for your assistance everyone.

EM 23 :bandit:

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
El Maestro 23 said:
Would anyone know how much will "PORT AUTHORITY" charge for sending a TOYOTA CAMRY SE 01 from the states (FL) ???

How much taxes will they charge? Is there any legal issues that could come up with this or papers other than the car title? Does it make any difference what port do you use: HAINA/SDQ/PUERTO PLATA, or is the same taxes on of the country's ports?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've also heard that for December they give some tax breaks. Thank you for your assistance everyone.

EM 23 :bandit:

Hi,

According to the 'Red Book' at the 28th of May 2003 the following customs charges would have applied for an individual importing the vehicle :

2001 Camry 4 cyl - 133,796.15 impuestos + 18,364.29 'comision C' total 152,160.45 rd
2001 Camry 6 cyl - 160,711.63 impuestos + 21,194.61 'comision C' - total 181,906.24 rd

However please use these figures as a guideline only, the exchange rates have been all over the place since then, and the numbers are calculated on the relative 'value' of the vehicle. Be sure to get an up to date rate from customs before committing to anything.

With regard to the port, can't really offer any advice other than to try to get hold of a 'friend' ( i.e. someone well known to you or someone you trust ) to help you 'smooth' things along. We have heard any number of sad tales about vehicle importing, up to and including the vehicle being robbed from, or even stolen in it's entirety. Good counsel would be to make sure that you are very well, and reliably, insured against any possible loss from the time of despatch in US to having the vehicle free and clear in your hands here.

Good luck,

CB

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
Thanx

2001 Camry 4 cyl - 133,796.15 impuestos + 18,364.29 'comision C' total 152,160.45 rd
2001 Camry 6 cyl - 160,711.63 impuestos + 21,194.61 'comision C' - total 181,906.24 rd

Thank you for the info, very helpful. At least i have an overall idea of the prices

EM23 :bandit:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Using the listings on super-carros as a guide and subtracting 20% to compensate for the inflated prices there, it looks like you could buy a 2001 Camry in the DR for about RD500-600,000.

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
Issue

sweetdbt said:
Using the listings on super-carros as a guide and subtracting 20% to compensate for the inflated prices there, it looks like you could buy a 2001 Camry in the DR for about RD500-600,000.

Yeah i see. The thing is i have a friend in DR adn he wants an used car and for some reason he thought that buying a car here (miami) and importing it to DR would be cheaper than buying it over there. I found one for 6500 Dols but once you add from 3 to 5 k of taxes to bringing it to DR (plus the risks of damage to the car) i believe it will balance out.

But doing the math 6500 + 5000 (Max taxes + o -) = 11,500 Dols
322,000 Pesos

So i guess that's why he is doing it, he would save about 150 - 250 K Pesos.
I'll give him the info and then let him make up his own mind.

Now given this info, do you think it's best to buy and send it from the States or is it better to buy in DR know the conditions that it may be ????

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
El Maestro 23 said:
Yeah i see. The thing is i have a friend in DR adn he wants an used car and for some reason he thought that buying a car here (miami) and importing it to DR would be cheaper than buying it over there. I found one for 6500 Dols but once you add from 3 to 5 k of taxes to bringing it to DR (plus the risks of damage to the car) i believe it will balance out.

But doing the math 6500 + 5000 (Max taxes + o -) = 11,500 Dols
322,000 Pesos

So i guess that's why he is doing it, he would save about 150 - 250 K Pesos.
I'll give him the info and then let him make up his own mind.

Now given this info, do you think it's best to buy and send it from the States or is it better to buy in DR know the conditions that it may be ????

You left out one little thing. Shipping cost. I'm not sure how much this runs, but I can't imagine it's less than a couple of thousand.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
There is an aspect that is not very often mentioned: it is probably more risky to buy a used car in the DR than in the US.

People are really good here at transforming a wreck into a brand new car.. I have a taller front of my tyre business which is specialized.

Barnab?

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Grease job.

JDJones said:
Quote: I have a taller front of my tyre business which is specialized.

Barnabe, what does that mean?

Yes, what exactly does that mean...Anyway an aquantaince of mine shipped a Jeepetta from USA to Santo Domingo. Papers showed it did arrive, well the papers arrived. Thinking he knew the system he visited the Customs area. HI, I am looking for my Jeepetta quickly palming 500 pesos into the palm....Come with me...Passed onto the next person....Hi I am looking for my Jeepetta as he pressed 500 pesos into the palm...Come with me... Well you get the picture.NO Jeepetta... No money left......No Faith in the System. Buy in the D.R. after all the worst it can be is that it is stolen . but at least you get a 2002 with papers for a 1996..He now has a Toyota GEO( chevy) whilst waiting for his., Er, ER...........Cheers. M. P.S. when in Rome Do as the Romans do.

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
Means

Yes, what exactly does that mean...

TALLER means like a body shop, where they fix cars ... as for tyre business i'll need a rain check for that i dont know it means tire business if not then i'll pass on that one.

But TALLER means AUTO BODY SHOP

EM23 :bandit:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Sorry to have been unclear.

I meant people that transform an almost destroyed car in a like new one, then selling it, even as 'never got accident'.

I was just saying that it may be cheaper to buy in DR, but that you may also have problems.

El Maestro, please apologize, I learnt to speak and write English in England, and that was a long time ago.

Barnab?