Dog Obedience training in PUJ

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
My dog has been raised as a beach bum (... I know, it's all my own fault!) and although he is house trained and lives indoors, he has some behaviour issues that might be a problem when I return to PUJ.

He needs some obedience training (he's 2 yrs old). I have not had, and do not have, the time to train him and I need to know if there is an obedience training school or a trainer in the area that can do the job for me...

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks! :nervous:

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Dog training

Yan-Yan said:
My dog has been raised as a beach bum (... I know, it's all my own fault!) and although he is house trained and lives indoors, he has some behaviour issues that might be a problem when I return to PUJ.

He needs some obedience training (he's 2 yrs old). I have not had, and do not have, the time to train him and I need to know if there is an obedience training school or a trainer in the area that can do the job for me...

Yep, it's your fault. Forget a trainer, unless your dog is aggressive with people. It's not hard. Get a prong collar and a lunge lead ( long cable ) for el pooch, and start working with him 15 minutes a nite. Make it fun for both of you. If your goal is to keep him near you, then don't allow him to stray far without you correcting him via collar and leash. He will learn. And the lunge will allow you to let him move further from you but with the same corrective powers. HE always has to come back to you.Good luck.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
W.D. Wilson

Yan-Yan said:

W.D. is the Very Best Dog Trainer on the North Coast

He is in his 70's now and only doe's it as a hobby (Very Reasonable)

W.D. Wilson Internatial K-9 Instructor 961-3797

Gringo

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
bcmike, are you sure that 15 minutes a day will do?? That's all the fee time I've got!!... I guess I'll have no choice, but I've seen every dog training website and read like 1/2 dozen books and they all say that I'll need a lot of time and patience... And I don't have either!!

His problem is that I can't control him on the leash, he jumps on people, barks at strangers and totally ignores me when I call him :tired: .... And he just can't keep quiet!! He's from an active breed, but one thing is active and another is a never-ending energy supply!!

...I don't like those prong collars, they look like a torture device!

Gringo, I do know a couple of trainers in SDQ as well, I just can't send him away!

Thanks to both for your replies.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Yan-Yan said:
bcmike, are you sure that 15 minutes a day will do?? That's all the fee time I've got!!... I guess I'll have no choice, but I've seen every dog training website and read like 1/2 dozen books and they all say that I'll need a lot of time and patience... And I don't have either!!

His problem is that I can't control him on the leash, he jumps on people, barks at strangers and totally ignores me when I call him :tired: .... And he just can't keep quiet!! He's from an active breed, but one thing is active and another is a never-ending energy supply!!

...I don't like those prong collars, they look like a torture device!

Gringo, I do know a couple of trainers in SDQ as well, I just can't send him away!

Thanks to both for your replies.

Sounds like he might be related to my girl... Here's an idea for you. Search on the internet for a head collar called Gentle Leader. I made one out of thin rope for my dog (cost me 12 pesos) and we actually started to enjoy our walks. One strap goes over the muzzle and the other behind the ears (like a horse) tying under the jaw, but it allows the dog to open its mouth as much as he wants. When he pulls, it puts pressure on his muzzle, therefore convincing him to not pull. The pros also say that it exerts a similar pressure as a mother correcting her pup and reassures them, quieting them in the process. It's worked wonders for me and although she still jumps around once in a while, she's a lot easier to handle and quieter. By the way, she's a 70lb Rottie so I think it should work on almost any dog. Takes a few days for them to get used to but it's worth it!

Good luck!

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
Kate P, my boy is a 80lb chocolate lab, and believe me, he's more than once, dragged me down the road for 1/2 a mile... If you see me, you wonder who's walking who!!

Thanks for the advice on the collar... Already had a look and I'll give it a try.

If you see a crazy brown dog causing havoc in some beach in PUJ, you'll know who he is!! ;)

Thanks!

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
prong collar

IMHO, the prong collar is the best way to go, as it distributes the pressure all around the neck, not just at the pup's trachea.Never heard about the Gentle Leader, but that looks really good.The choke chain collars are the WORST. Avoid those.
15 mins is probably enuff if you work the dog and keep it positive. I did this with my male Akita (God rest him) that got to 110 lbs,and he really was a great dog in reflection. Of course, he tested us every now and then, but ,that's what big males do. Just love on him, however you train him.A few hugs ,treats, and kisses don't hurt either!

Last edited:

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I had the same problem with my big guy that was guarding my warehouse. Turns out that he was just pissed off at me for not spending time with him?soon as I relocated him to the front door at home he?s a totally different dog, listens to everything I say.

That may also have something to do with the fact that the door opens every now and then and magically chicken and bones fall from the sky for him now but who knows?