Dominican immigrant killed in spain

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Court rules no racist motive in murder of Wilson Pacheco
By Liz Fekete
29 October 2004

A security guard, who had later attempted suicide, and two other men, have been found guilty of the murder of Dominican inmigrant Wilson Pacheco in January 2003.

However, in sentencing the three men, the judge ruled out a racist motive. Pacheco, and a group of Dominican friends, had been refused entry into a nightclub and then pursued by the bouncer at the club, and two security guards from a neighbouring club. Pacheco had been severely beaten and then thrown into the Barcelona harbour where he drowned.
Denial of racial motive challenged

The denial of a racist motive was hotly disputed by the Association of Dominicans in Catalonia and by Wilson Pacheco's family. During the trial, a couple who witnessed Pacheco being beaten, told the court how one of the assailants commented, 'If this ******* Dominican monkey knows how to run, he will know how to swim, if not leave him to drown'. The couple say that, on witnessing the attack, they had approached a police car and asked officers to intervene. They had refused, saying that it was not their business, but that of the harbour police to intervene in the case of a 'Sudaca' (a derogatory term for a mixed race Latin American). A video of the incident showed that not one of the defendants did anything to help Pacheco once he was pushed into the water. One of the bouncers told the police officer that for a 'Sudaca, I don't get my mobile wet'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you all think that this has racial undertones?

susie x

Jan 17, 2004
so sad

It has made me feel so sad to read this.

England had a 'friendly' football match against Spain on Wednesday and each time one of our black players touched the ball the Spanish crowd made MONKEY noises. There is a big fuss about it over here but it is being played down by the Spanish authorities.

Many of our players black and white have said they will just walk off the pitch if they encounter that abuse again.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
It's sad to see that people are still acting like this in this century. I think racism will always be here. It's only if people act on thei racism that will change.

In other words, there will always be racists. Just that some of them don't go around tell exhibiting these feeling by doing racists acts or saying racist remarks. You never know who is racist until they do either one of these.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
It is absolutely ridiculous that these kinds of things ever went on never mind in today?s day and age. That I breath the same air and share the planet with such pea brained idiots makes me sick and that includes the police and judge in that story.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
What is also disturbing is that I'm unable to find any reports of this on Dominican newspapers... Why is that? Is it that we don't want to hurt the glossy Dominican-Spanish relations and don't want to create any tensions? I don't like this...:angry:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Yan-Yan said:
What is also disturbing is that I'm unable to find any reports of this on Dominican newspapers... Why is that? Is it that we don't want to hurt the glossy Dominican-Spanish relations and don't want to create any tensions? I don't like this...:angry:

Well, perhaps the reason is that this person may not be a Dominican at all! I remember a story just like this one, same city and same circumstances a few months ago. I saw it on TVE news. It was an Ecuadorian inmigrant, not a Dominican. Also, contrary to what the story states, the very derogotory term "sudaca" is not just applied to "mixed race Latin Americans" but to people from Latin America in general, regardless of race or mixture. In fact, this term originated in the late 70's and early eighties, before massive emigration of poor, indian/mestizo/ mulatto/ white Latin Americans to Spain. It was originally applied to Argentinians, Uruguayans and Chileans fleeing the dictatorships of that era. For the most part, these were educated, middle to upper middle class, white South Americans. Sudamericanos, from this came the term Sudaca, implying from South America. It became a derogatory term for people from the region in general. Of course, as that inmigrant population has increased, those whose physical appearance is different, may be more easily identified than others who look more average- for Spain- and may become a target of prejudice and hatred by some very sick groups of ignorant, semi-literate spaniards influenced by the skinhead mentality. Whatever is motivating this, as exemplified by the football incident, it is very troublesome and un-spanish. It could truly negative affect Spain's reputation and standing in the world and in Latin America in particular. It is ironic since it was not that long ago that Spaniards by the millions emigrated to Iberoamerica in order to escape poverty and lack of opportunity.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
juancarlos said:
Well, perhaps the reason is that this person may not be a Dominican at all! I remember a story just like this one, same city and same circumstances a few months ago. I saw it on TVE news. It was an Ecuadorian inmigrant, not a Dominican. Also, contrary to what the story states, the very derogotory term "sudaca" is not just applied to "mixed race Latin Americans" but to people from Latin America in general, regardless of race or mixture. In fact, this term originated in the late 70's and early eighties, before massive emigration of poor, indian/mestizo/ mulatto/ white Latin Americans to Spain. It was originally applied to Argentinians, Uruguayans and Chileans fleeing the dictatorships of that era. For the most part, these were educated, middle to upper middle class, white South Americans. Sudamericanos, from this came the term Sudaca, implying from South America. It became a derogatory term for people from the region in general. Of course, as that inmigrant population has increased, those whose physical appearance is different, may be more easily identified than others who look more average- for Spain- and may become a target of prejudice and hatred by some very sick groups of ignorant, semi-literate spaniards influenced by the skinhead mentality. Whatever is motivating this, as exemplified by the football incident, it is very troublesome and un-spanish. It could truly negative affect Spain's reputation and standing in the world and in Latin America in particular. It is ironic since it was not that long ago that Spaniards by the millions emigrated to Iberoamerica in order to escape poverty and lack of opportunity.

I still think that the Spaniards are some of the most racist in the world.

they are even racist against their own kind.
I will always continue to hate them and if i had it my way i would wipe them all out of the whole island of Hispaniola.

Sep 20, 2003
What I find most shocking about this incident is the attitude and actions of the Spanish police! Just standing by and refusing to help a man being beaten half to death and thrown into a harbor to drown?

Do incidents like this happen very often in Spain? Are the policemen involved in these incidents ever punished for refusing to help a crime victim?

Last edited: