What kind of bug is this?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
This is a picture of my kitchen roof last night, never seen one of these before, can anyone identify it?

bug.jpg

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Big ugly bug!! Never seen it before but maybe you could use its antennas as hooks for your next fishing trip! :nervous:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
EEEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Would have been good to have some idea of its scale, if only to feed the phobia. :eek:

beachlv

Sep 28, 2004
That's one ugly bug...

and my son wants to know if you'll save it for him, hahahaha.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MrMike said:
ok, working on it... better now?

(sheeez, took me forever to figure out how to even set up a web server to post pictures in the first place...)

Thanks! I've never seen this thing before! What kinda hybrids are you growing there? :nervous:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
beachlv said:
and my son wants to know if you'll save it for him, hahahaha.

would love to but,

An army of corporate ants has already carried the body to the bug cemetery where it will be "processed" and fed to the younger generation of ants as "soylent brown".

Rocvill214

Aug 23, 2004
looks like a beatle....

......but plz next time dont blow the picture up so much eeeeewwwwwww lol.

This reminds me of a tiem i was playing domino and a waterbug with blond spiky hair in it back was sitting and nibblin on my toe... long story short i almost died.
DR has alot of really weird bugs. :nervous:

element

Nov 19, 2004
Family: Cerambycidae (Longhorn beetle)

looks to me like it's possibly a member of the Elaphidiini tribe... any entomologists on the forum? They are nocturnal woodborers attracted by light and pose no threat to humans.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
It looks like a caribbean version of a beetle we have here in NW Ontario called the pine beetle - except when element said the long horn beetle doesn't pose any threat - our version does. They take very large bites out of humans that hurt like heck !! My husband drove a nail through one on our deck, then put an large nail (2 penny for you carpenters out there) in its mouth (yes it has a mouth with pinchers built in!) and the beetle literally threw the nail around. I swear the nail weighed 10x more than the beetle - god, was it scary !! Our version is solid black so it is not quite the same but it sure does have the long atennas like ours have, and they range in size from about an inch to 2 1/2 inches long! I would be fumigating immediately!!
Good luck,
Marlie

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Piltdown beatle

It's a piltdown beatle, a missing link between a cockroach and a beatle. Who's willing to wager a bottle of brugal that that's what it is?

Mirador

element

Nov 19, 2004
marliejaneca said:
It looks like a caribbean version of a beetle we have here in NW Ontario called the pine beetle - except when element said the long horn beetle doesn't pose any threat - our version does. They take very large bites out of humans that hurt like heck !! My husband drove a nail through one on our deck, then put an large nail (2 penny for you carpenters out there) in its mouth (yes it has a mouth with pinchers built in!) and the beetle literally threw the nail around. I swear the nail weighed 10x more than the beetle - god, was it scary !! Our version is solid black so it is not quite the same but it sure does have the long atennas like ours have, and they range in size from about an inch to 2 1/2 inches long! I would be fumigating immediately!!
Good luck,
Marlie

actually the white spotted pine sawyer, Monochamus scutellatus, is in the same family.... so is the infamous asian longhorn beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis) that is causing much concern right now in sourthern ontario. they have rather developed mandibles... used to chew into the wood... and i suppose they would be able to pinch, possibly breaking the skin (could be painful). i'm not sure if fumigating would do any good (why cause unnecessary damage to yourself)... as the bug likely crawled out of some nice tree in your yard (look for exit holes) to live out its short adult life and eventually lay eggs in another or the same tree (and the cycle repeats).

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
- You knew I'd have an answer!

Yep seen them up here in the La Mulata III Zoo. We have a lot of small "palm trees" with a thin stem that grow quite quickly and we and others use them for cover and so forth. It grows about 7 or 8 foot. Anyhow, its fruit is a lot like a date and ours have been visited by old ugly bug there (and his chums) whenever the fruit goes kinda sticky. - He's never bitten me (yet)!

Simon

- I asked my gardener "what's that Martin"? - Answer "A Bug". No peligroso
Mind you, point to the sky and ask - answer "A Bird" and so on ...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Simon,

That's similar to my Jamaica story.

We noticed three distinct kinds of geckos when we visited Port Antonio. One was brown; one was green and one sounded just like a frog.

Not being too worldly at the time we asked naively:

What is the green gecko?
Answer - green lizard.
What is the brown gecko?
Answer - brown lizard.
What is the gecko that sounds like a frog?
Answer - croaking lizard.

While on an excursion we asked about the white birds that sit on cow's backs and eat the bugs etc. from the hide.
Answer - white bird.

And finally we asked what kind of fish were caught in the local small lakes.
Answer - pond fish.

We gave up knowing that the locals were so content in their ways that they didn't care that there might be a proper name for these creatures - they knew what they were talking about.

Jamaicans and Dominicans - some of the simplest and nicest people in the world - we could learn much.

Gregg

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
you are right, element!

I guess fumigating wasn't the right answer!! When I lived in the DR, I washed the floors,counter tops, anything I could with Clorox EVERY day so that unwanted bugs did not appear - it seemed to work, only had one cockroach in 2 years and it was hiding in an unused plastic butter dish with a lid on it - go figure!
We have 2 variations of these beetles I was talking about, one a "spruce bug", one a "pine beetle" - as you can tell I do not know the scientific names!! The spruce bugs do not bite and are a mottled gray in colour and do get the same size whereas the pine beetles are jet black and DO bite. At least I can say, quite happily I might add, that we do not have the Earwig here in NW Ontario like you folks in Southern Ontario have - thank god!! Those bugs make me shiver!
Back to related topic, so how does one get rid of this bug in their house? By the sounds of it, that would be invaluable info for those who have this problem. Do you think that the clorox solution would work, or would you have to resort to a chemically based insect killer. When one enters your home, does it mean a mass invasion likely or just a one time event?
Just curious!
Marlie

edh1vail

Aug 23, 2004
MrMike said:
This is a picture of my kitchen roof last night, never seen one of these before, can anyone identify it?

bug.jpg

I saw one of those today. It's called an UGLY BUG : :nervous: