Travel from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas

kevino

Nov 19, 2004
My family has decided to spend Christmas in Las Terrenas, however, they are flying into Punta Cana. I've lived in Santo Domingo for two years and feel as if I know the country fairly well but am not sure about the easiest way to get them from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas. I will not be with them and they speak minimal Spanish. I presume a Taxi will be the easiest. Any ideas as to the route it could take, price, and time for the trip? Any alternatives, keeping in mind they are my non-Spanish speaking parents! would be appreciated.

Thanks

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Last time I checked the trip would take you from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo (1- 1.5 hours) from there to Puerto Plata (3 hours) and from Puerto Plata to just outside Samana, in Sanchez (2.5 hours), the last leg of the trip you hook up with one of the pickup truck leaves every half hour for Las Terrenas across the mountains.

I think taxi would be very expensive from Punta Cana as it?s a trip around the country even though on the map it?s just northeast about 60 miles?I don?t think there are any good roads that connect.

If there is a better way then I?d love to hear it as I took the trip from Puerto Plata to La Romana about a year ago by bus and public car and it was 8 hours but lots of fun.

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Plan 2...

taxi or guagua via Higuey...to Miches... to Sabana de la Mar...then, passenger ferry over bay to Samana...

Travel time 4.5-5 hr. mas o menos

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
taxi to Las Terrenas

I am in LT and am English speaking - I would have offered you my cell phone number but I think it just got stolen today along with my head lamp and maglight from my hotel room! They gave me a safe in my room but I didn't think to put my lights and cell phone in it! Ah well - I can cancel the contract Anyway - we do have a cab here that goes everywhere - not the tourist one on the street but the Dominican husband of a girl I met who works in a gallery. We could despatch him - and I could go with him as my Spanish is passable and I would love to see the country. Send me a private message if this is an idea that appeals to you. Thanks - Elizabeth

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I'll check with him on the rates

I'll just check with him on the rates to Punta Cana and post them here, along with his cell phone number that way it will be on record for anyone who wants to contact him in the future. I'm giving a fiesta at my new place on the 21st so wouldn't be available on either side of that day - or on it. Thanks - e.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Punta Cana to Las Terrenas

kevino said:
My family has decided to spend Christmas in Las Terrenas, however, they are flying into Punta Cana. I've lived in Santo Domingo for two years and feel as if I know the country fairly well but am not sure about the easiest way to get them from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas. I will not be with them and they speak minimal Spanish. I presume a Taxi will be the easiest. Any ideas as to the route it could take, price, and time for the trip? Any alternatives, keeping in mind they are my non-Spanish speaking parents! would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is a small firm in L-T that does flights ( private ) directly to Portillo from Punta Cana, depending on the number of family members,,, it might be in your interest. small planes, not real cheap, but it?s the quickest. you might be able to find the number at www.lt-7.com

Trust this helps in some way

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Getting There

If you'll go to the 2nd page of the Transportation section of www.SamanaOnline.com you'll find more thorough instructions regarding the best three ways to get from Punta Cana to the Samana peninsula and its towns;
west through Santo Domingo, north to the ferry across Samana Bay and by air charter.

swake

Oct 27, 2002

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Fkights to El Portillo

T$225 must be for the helicopter. It usually just takes people up and flys around in a big circle for an hour. Also does medivac trips. There are some little passenger planes at Portillo. I drove by there on the back of a motochonco yesterday. One plane even has six windows so I reckon it takes up to 12 passengers. I'll wend my way through the streets of town. Maybe they just didn't pay for an ad in LT-7 which only really serves the French community - it appears. There are lots of Italians and Dutch here as well.

elizabeth

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Last year at this time, a 4-passenger plus pilot single-engine, Cessna 206 was about $240usd from PC to Samana (or el Portillo) via Century Air with Aerodomca about the same, about $60usd per person, 4 person minimum. The Cessna 310 twin with seating for 6 passengers is higher and the chopper is a whole lot more. And with fuel prices up expect prices to be higher this year.