MDs - economics in the DR?? Current Strike??

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I'm interested in the current strike, or threatened strike, by MDs in the DR; I have rarely seen an MD in a picket line, in the USA at least. Are these MDs all Gov't employees? Exclusively Gov't employees, ie w/o any private practices. In private practie what might a typical general practitioner age 45 earn? In the Capital? In Santiago? In Puerto Plata? A successful surgeon? Same series of questions.
I've dealt with several MDs in the DR; the typical work schdedule appears to be 10:00 AM to noon; 2:00 PM to @ 3:30. Is this true of all MDs? Most MDs? I was told that medical school is very cheap in the DR; but, in exchange for a very inexpensive education, all graduating MD's must "volunteer" to minister to the poor in rural areas for free for 2, 3 years. True? Knowledgeable responsiese invited. Thank you.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Well I can tell you

-Are these MDs all Gov't employees? Yes those who are going to strike are.
-In private practie what might a typical general practitioner age 45 earn? It would depend on the medical center where they are established. In well-known medical centers, physicians usually make a lot of money (They are high middle class) usually formed in the USA or Europe.
-but, in exchange for a very inexpensive education, all graduating MD's must "volunteer" to minister to the poor in rural areas for free for 2, 3 years. True? It is not totally for free, and the period they have to serve is one year.
:glasses:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
MD salary

What are these MDs that are gov't employees earning?
Or what is the beginners salary for just graduated dominican MDs?
Bartolomeo