Small boat docking North Shore

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Who can tell me where there's sheltered docking for small boats (20 to 40 foot) on the North Coast of the RD? I was in Luperon several years ago and found a marina of sorts there. Presumably PP still has space for us little guys. Sosua seemed to be just an anchorage, and it can get pretty rough at that. But maybe there's a harbour tucked away somewhere there.

Old Hippy responded on the LP site that: "Hard to believe, but Luperon is about it... security problems at PP." He suggested That I come here. neat site. As an occasional visitor to the DR since 1985 (six trips); I like what I see on DR1. Another day at the office wasted.

Any further info on docking? It's for a fairly long-range idea.

wbr

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Luperon only option on North Coast, other than Samana. Basically anchoring in both, but a marina is in the works for Luperon.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Anchorage at L_T?

I have at least two friends who spent quite a bit of time anchored off of Las Terrenas a few years ago. There is one power boat on a mooring off shore - she's about 32 feet and withstood the last northeast storm very well. Of course, that is a testamony to the mooring. There is no dock but a great beach right in town. Pull your dinghy right up into the fisherman's village and tie up at one of the fancy European resturants and eat lunch - no one will touch your boat if you hire one of the little kids for $50 rd to guard it.

Oh - there's a reef - did I mention that? There's got to be reef cause the waves are breaking but I don't know at what depth so you had better be sure your gage is working and have someone on the bow. Don't approach if you don't have visibility. ( I suppose we can also get that power boat to pilot you in - it must be the dive boat for the AI resort)- but you are a sailor, right? So you have no money, right? ( I am a sailor, as well).

A little outside of town- east of Punto Poppy is a small cove but I don't have any nautical charts and it looks like there is a reef and I don't know the depths. I do know that my friends really didn't like Luperon - were ripped off and treated with no respect by the police. But Adored Las Terrenas. It doesn't have much shelter but I assume that the storms will have passed by the end of this month. At least, that is what they are supposed to do.

Also - if you check the charts there is another lovely looking cove to the east of here. Before the point turn to Las Galeras. If you don't have charts, you can order them from The Armchair Sailor in Newport, Rhode Island - should be on the Net.

Fair Winds -
Elizabeth

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
To save a trip out to Luperon myself on Monday...can anyone confirm if there are any docks to tie off (Puerto Blanco) or is it anchor only? The old man just called me from George Town in Great Exuma to say that's he's just days away and he's not happy about the options so far.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Lovely looking cove is a deathtrap

The lovely looking cove about 10 miles east of Las Terrenas is playa Del Vallee and it is also about 4 miles west of the northeastern most tip of the DR, Cabo Cabron. Be very careful anchoring there at it is a lee shore during our winter months, November to March, when the trades blow from the north east. And during the northers that blow like stink for several days during these months, Del Vallee is a deathtrap! It is not advised to anchor there at all but in settled, summer weather. More information regarding this part of the peninsula may be found on www.samanaonline.com in the Attractions section.

Ken is absolutely correct when he points out that Luperon (and the harbors in Cofresi- it's called Ocean World, I think? - and Puerto Plata) are the ONLY relatively safe harbors on the north coast. And anchoring behind the reefs along the beaches such as those off Las Terrenas, is also very risky and not recommended during the winter months. If you've ever tried coming through a hole in the reef with breakers all around you, you KNOW what I mean! Again, the ENTIRE north coast is a dangerous lee shore during the winter months with very few places to ride out rough weather. Bruce Van Zant points this out repeatedly in his cruising bible for this area, "A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" (I'm not sure of the exact title). A yachtsman should plan his trip so that he makes the 110 miles from Luperon to Cabo Cabron and around to Samana Bay (another 15 miles) nonstop. You can also pull into Las Galeras (if you have local knowledge) or playa Rincon for the night but you are far better off to continue on to Samana and if you want to visit Rincon, Las Galeras or Las Terrenas, anchor in Samana harbor and take the gua gua back across the peninsula.

Capt. Andy B

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are cruising and want to rest for a few hours, the places mentioned along the north coast may be ok in the summer. But as Andy B points out, you are anchoring off a lee shore and at considerable risk in the winter. Most sailors I have cruised with prefer an overnight to spending the night in a risky anchorage close to the beach. If you drag, there won't be time to keep your boat off the beach.

If you are talking about more than a few hours rest, then think Luperon and Samana. Luperon, Puerto Plata and Samana are the only ports of entry on the north coast. Cruising in Dominican waters is very different than elsewhere in the Caribbean. You are limited to ports of entry and can't cruise between harbors without clearing out of one and clearing into another.

Also keep at mind that when anchored for the night in some lonely anchorage that you are in danger of being highjacked by people wanting to go to Puerto Rico. The boat that recently sank with lives lost was a stolen sailboat.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Samana and the Whales?

Thanks for all the information. I am trying to figure out where on the coast to settle and I love to be where there is an inflow and outflux of sailboats. Can you tell me what it is like in the Bay of Samana during the winter Whale mating season? It must be beautiful but dangerous?

Thanks

Elizabeth

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
mountainannie said:
Thanks for all the information. I am trying to figure out where on the coast to settle and I love to be where there is an inflow and outflux of sailboats. Can you tell me what it is like in the Bay of Samana during the winter Whale mating season? It must be beautiful but dangerous?

Thanks

Elizabeth

PM me via my DR1 box or via my Samana Online site contact links regarding living in this part of the Samana peninsula.

Andy B

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mountainannie said:

Elizabeth, the boats are anchored in the harbor. No whales there. As far as the whales are concerned, yachts, etc., not permitted around the whales. It is a big bay and there is a good sailing breeze, especially in afternoon, so it is always possible you may see whales. Just don't go too close, and especially don't get between a mother and her calf.

Remember, whether in Samana and Luperon, if you want to go out for a day sail you must clear out with the Port Commandant. Not the same as clearing out when leaving, but you must clear out. If you leave the harbor without clearing out, they will send a boat after you. Among other things, they want to be sure the boat hasn't been hijacked by Puerto Rican bound Dominicans.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Toronto2inDR said:
To save a trip out to Luperon myself on Monday...can anyone confirm if there are any docks to tie off (Puerto Blanco) or is it anchor only? The old man just called me from George Town in Great Exuma to say that's he's just days away and he's not happy about the options so far.

There are docks in Luperon but nothing that I would tie my boat to - that is, if you can find space. Is your dad on a sailboat or on a powerboat? The route south from Georgetown can be heavy sailing. The Gentlemen?s Guide to Passages South indeed gives really good sailing instructions about specifically this passage and how to approach it. We did the trip from Georgetown to Conception to Rum Cay. Then a long passage past Samana and the Acklins and Crooked Islands to Mayugana from where we staged for the Turks and Caicos.

Remind your dad that in these waters you want to be in harbor quite early in the day, as down the coast, you have the wind and the waves on the nose later in the day. Depending on which front he rides down, he may even have a Easterly or North Easterly if he heads to Mayugana and takes it down from there.

The Luperon harbor is fine for anchoring although it is a muddy bottom. The locals anchored in the harbor will tell you how to anchor there to be safe.

Also heed Ken's advice.