I'm trying to be adventurous.... please help!

Anj

Nov 21, 2004

Hello! I've been to the Dominician Republic 4 times. I speak fairly good Spanish and am fluent in French and English as well. Each time I go to a resort, I usually take one of the "in house" tour packages to Peurto Plata or Sosua for the day to buy jewlery, coffee or things I just can't buy in the resort store. I really like the resorts, but I LOVE getting into the cities to talk with locals, shop at local stores, eat at Dominican food and take in the DOminican culture. Each time I take one of these "in house tours" they cost about 100$ US. Granted, that's travel, lunch, bus, everything included. This time, I'm determined to do things MY way! I want to take a taxi from my resort (Bahia Principale San Juan) TO Puerto Plata. I want to chose my own place for lunch, visit the Amber museum (again), shop at some local jewelery stores and have lunch. I don't think this is really too hard, but I"m a bit scared! I don't have a map of Puerto Plata, and also, I don't know anything about the taxi services and how much they should/will cost. I have learned the art of bartering, but if the taxi is coming to a resort, should I expect an inflated cost? I want to make my OWN day tour.... I just want to get in a taxi and go to Peurto Plata without having to use the "in house" tour companies. The last one was through Barcelo Viajes, it was wonderful but SO expensive. Am I making a mistake here? Should I just be a good Canadian and stay on my resort unless I"m willing to travel with a tour package? I would rather spend my money on local items such as jewelry and cusine than pay a touring company $100 US (EACH I might add...) to take my husband and I shopping for a day. I love the DOminican people, I just want to spend a day in Peurto Plata.. is that so hard? I would welcome ANY and ALL comments from people who think I'm crazy, or.... people who have ventured off their resorts in the past. I'll welcome horror stories and success stories alike. Please send any and all comments to ms.michaud@teacher.com

I fly out Dec 17, 2004. Cheers, and thanks all. Sorry for the long posting!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I sent you and e mail

Anj said:

Hello! I've been to the Dominician Republic 4 times. I speak fairly good Spanish and am fluent in French and English as well. Each time I go to a resort, I usually take one of the "in house" tour packages to Peurto Plata or Sosua for the day to buy jewlery, coffee or things I just can't buy in the resort store. I really like the resorts, but I LOVE getting into the cities to talk with locals, shop at local stores, eat at Dominican food and take in the DOminican culture. Each time I take one of these "in house tours" they cost about 100$ US. Granted, that's travel, lunch, bus, everything included. This time, I'm determined to do things MY way! I want to take a taxi from my resort (Bahia Principale San Juan) TO Puerto Plata. I want to chose my own place for lunch, visit the Amber museum (again), shop at some local jewelery stores and have lunch. I don't think this is really too hard, but I"m a bit scared! I don't have a map of Puerto Plata, and also, I don't know anything about the taxi services and how much they should/will cost. I have learned the art of bartering, but if the taxi is coming to a resort, should I expect an inflated cost? I want to make my OWN day tour.... I just want to get in a taxi and go to Peurto Plata without having to use the "in house" tour companies. The last one was through Barcelo Viajes, it was wonderful but SO expensive. Am I making a mistake here? Should I just be a good Canadian and stay on my resort unless I"m willing to travel with a tour package? I would rather spend my money on local items such as jewelry and cusine than pay a touring company $100 US (EACH I might add...) to take my husband and I shopping for a day. I love the DOminican people, I just want to spend a day in Peurto Plata.. is that so hard? I would welcome ANY and ALL comments from people who think I'm crazy, or.... people who have ventured off their resorts in the past. I'll welcome horror stories and success stories alike. Please send any and all comments to ms.michaud@teacher.com

I fly out Dec 17, 2004. Cheers, and thanks all. Sorry for the long posting!

Contact me at my e mail I sent you or at scottiewad@msn.com if the America Online firewalls prevents you from sending it though. I own three vans with drivers and can help you out.

Scottie

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Anj, just get in a taxi and go. No big deal. Taxi's are plentiful everywhere. Stop in Cabarete on the way through and wander around for a couple hours or all day. Catch another taxi, or better yet, if you want to experience true Dominican culture, flag down a gua-gua. It will take you from Cabarete to Sosua for about 20 pesos. Get out in Sosua and again, wonder around, maybe prearrange a lunch meeting with another DR1er. There are lots of them living or vacationing in both Cabarete and Sosua and they are always up to meet a new visitor. They can also be a great source of info. Then, catch another ride to POP. The best adventures seem to happen when they are not over planned. Just do it and have fun. You will be amazed at how much better you vacation is.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Camden Tom said:
Anj, just get in a taxi and go. No big deal. Taxi's are plentiful everywhere. Stop in Cabarete on the way through and wander around for a couple hours or all day. Catch another taxi, or better yet, if you want to experience true Dominican culture, flag down a gua-gua. It will take you from Cabarete to Sosua for about 20 pesos. Get out in Sosua and again, wonder around, maybe prearrange a lunch meeting with another DR1er. There are lots of them living or vacationing in both Cabarete and Sosua and they are always up to meet a new visitor. They can also be a great source of info. Then, catch another ride to POP. The best adventures seem to happen when they are not over planned. Just do it and have fun. You will be amazed at how much better you vacation is.
I agree... the gua-gua can be so much fun! (always an adventure). And it will only cost you 10 pesos to POP. Just ask someone where to get onto one-as they run on the main road. Since you speak enough spanish, you shouldn't have any problems finding your way around. And as already mentioned, I am SURE there a bunch of DR1ers who would enjoy meeting up with you both for lunch. Get out there, explore, and have a blast!!!! :)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
more for tourists?

Are you likely to be charged more to use a gua-gua if you are a tourist and can't speak any spanish? If so, how much more?

Thanks

Angel_04 said:
I agree... the gua-gua can be so much fun! (always an adventure). And it will only cost you 10 pesos to POP. Just ask someone where to get onto one-as they run on the main road. Since you speak enough spanish, you shouldn't have any problems finding your way around. And as already mentioned, I am SURE there a bunch of DR1ers who would enjoy meeting up with you both for lunch. Get out there, explore, and have a blast!!!! :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
With the greatest of respect, Angel 04, the gua-gua from Rio San Juan to Puerto Plata will cost considerably in excess of 10 pesos!! Fuel went up a while back! It is about 11/2 hour journey so my guess would be around 60 pesos (only a guess, mind). You could also think about Caribe Tours busses.

daydream,
yes, it is possible or even probable. So you circumvent by asking a waiter or someone in the hotel how much they would pay for the same journey, before you make the journey. Then you'll know what ballpark figure to negotiate.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
daydream said:
Are you likely to be charged more to use a gua-gua if you are a tourist and can't speak any spanish? If so, how much more?

Thanks

No. Just ask someone other than the driver how much it is and pay that. It is not a lot anyway Santo Domingo to Boca Chica is around 45 pesos now I think, $1.50 or so, and that is about 40 km. I can't imagine a 100 peso fare anywhere.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
ricktoronto said:
No. Just ask someone other than the driver how much it is and pay that. It is not a lot anyway Santo Domingo to Boca Chica is around 45 pesos now I think, $1.50 or so, and that is about 40 km. I can't imagine a 100 peso fare anywhere.

My mistake ricktoronto.. I thought she was coming from somewhere else... so, you're absolutely right. I suppose your estimate of around 60 pesos sounds reasonable. In any case, YES, do ask someone how much it SHOULD cost you before you get onto that gua-gua. Have a fantastic time! :)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks for your reply

I know it is not a lot - I was just interested to know by how much they might try and get away with charging the ave tourist who knows no better.

I was quoted 500 pesos for a taxi to Cabarette from Puerto Plata compared to 150 pesos for a local......that's quite a difference! :classic:

ricktoronto said:

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Lambada said:
With the greatest of respect, Angel 04, the gua-gua from Rio San Juan to Puerto Plata will cost considerably in excess of 10 pesos!! Fuel went up a while back! It is about 11/2 hour journey so my guess would be around 60 pesos (only a guess, mind). You could also think about Caribe Tours busses.

[ricktoronto, please excuse me... I responded to the wrong post]

Correction, my mistake Lambada. :) I thought she was coming from somewhere else... so, you're absolutely right. I suppose your estimate of around 60 pesos sounds reasonable. In any case, YES, do ask someone how much it SHOULD cost you before you get onto that gua-gua. Have a fantastic time!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Angel_04 said:

Yes, a gua-gua is fun, it really is! Everyone that has lived in the patria knows all about the gua-gua. However, have you ever seen what happens to a gua-gua that is stuffed with 20 plus people looks like when it gets into an accident??? Hmmmm...I bet you never thought about that one did ya??? It is a slaughter house my friend! The Dominicans must use the gua-gua because this is all they can afford. Cheapo tourists and ex-pats that cram into these gua-guas are often met with looks of wonder from Dominicans. I know this because many years ago when needed to get from one place to another right away I would rarely use one. Spend a few more pesos and use at least a public car.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
Yes, a gua-gua is fun, it really is! Everyone that has lived in the patria knows all about the gua-gua. However, have you ever seen what happens to a gua-gua that is stuffed with 20 plus people looks like when it gets into an accident??? Hmmmm...I bet you never thought about that one did ya??? It is a slaughter house my friend! The Dominicans must use the gua-gua because this is all they can afford. Cheapo tourists and ex-pats that cram into these gua-guas are often met with looks of wonder from Dominicans. I know this because many years ago when needed to get from one place to another right away I would rarely use one. Spend a few more pesos and use at least a public car.

You have a good point DomincanScotty. The gua-gua does tend to get jammed packed with people! I've personally only ever used it for short 10 minute rides... since I thought Anj was coming from somewhere else I recommended the gua-gua. But, she is coming from MUCH further..and yes, I do agree that perhaps using an alternative method of transport would be safer. :)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I pay 200 pesos per hour flat rate for Playa Dorada taxis.
Most initially scoff and none are interested for 1 hour but for 3 or more hours it is no problem.
I'll buy them a couple of beers and sometimes a bite to eat and they all want me to call them manana.

I've paid as little as $20US for the whole night but this included quite a few cervezas and I bought him a pizza to take home to his family.
This same guy drove me and my guide around one afternoon for 500P and I also bought him and his family lunch as well as some take out.

Come to think of it, I would probably save money by just paying the outrageous listed gringo prices but I prefer to get a deal and then freely choose to be generous.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Angel_04 said:
You have a good point DomincanScotty. The gua-gua does tend to get jammed packed with people! I've personally only ever used it for short 10 minute rides... since I thought Anj was coming from somewhere else I recommended the gua-gua. But, she is coming from MUCH further..and yes, I do agree that perhaps using an alternative method of transport would be safer. :)

Thanks! Yes, my gosh, I have seen some of these gua-guas all smashed up, smashed windshields, bad brakes, insane drivers, machachos riding on the back bumper and on the roof flying down the street without a worry in the world. These are the gua-guas you DON"T want to be riding in but don't have a choice once you are jammed into one.

Scottie