Battery Rechargers?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Has anyone seen the little wall plug in battery rechargers for AA and AAAs for sale in the DR? If so, where? Do you know if anyone is importing them? This would be a MAJOR environmental improvement and very cost effective for the Dominican people. There is a hardware store in Las Terrenas that is interested in stocking them if anyone knows a wholesale source. We can get DHL delivery here.

Thanks -

Elizabeth

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Battery Rechargers

Along with the recharger there would have to be available rechargeable Alkaline batteries. These are not always available. They have over the past year become prevalent in Canada but until you can get the rechargeable batteries (they are packaged saying rechargeable) the rechargers won't help. I personally have not seen the rechargeable alkaline batteries there but maybe in Santiago or Santo Domingo.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
You can find them in hardware stores here in Santo Domingo: Ferreteria Americana, Hache..etc...and saw them at Radio Shack also, I even think they have them in Plaza Lama! ;)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I had a little bit of experience......

with alky battery re-chargers in the past. They proved to be almost worthless in the long run. not only do the re-chargable alky batteries cost twice asmuch as the reular ones, they really don't take a full charge that can be noticed. In other words, they die twice as fast from the re-charge as they did originally. The ones from Radio Shack are junk. And I don't think any of the others are any better. The state of the art is still in that area known as experimental. Don't waste your money. You'll be dissapointed.

Texas Bill

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Nimh

Texas Bill said:
with alky battery re-chargers in the past. They proved to be almost worthless in the long run. not only do the re-chargable alky batteries cost twice asmuch as the reular ones, they really don't take a full charge that can be noticed. In other words, they die twice as fast from the re-charge as they did originally. The ones from Radio Shack are junk. And I don't think any of the others are any better. The state of the art is still in that area known as experimental. Don't waste your money. You'll be dissapointed.

Texas Bill

The only really practical systems for rechargable batteries are NIMH. The initial cost is high, but they can be recharged hundreds of times, and unlike the old NiCad batteries, each charge lasts as long or longer than alkyline. A charger with 4 AA batteries costs 20 to 25 in the states, and you'll virtually never need to buy another battery. The only "down side" is a limited shelf life of a charged battery. They lose about 1 to 2% of their charge daily just sitting there, so you wouldn't want them for a flashlight, for instance. They are fantastic for digital cameras, walkmen, etc.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So we're talking 3 months and they are dead?

So you have to put the date on the calendar, right? And go around the house changing the batteries? Not so hard to remember. My issue here is that the lights are what I called the "Third World Specials" Bare bulb, center room style. It's only a rental - and for a year - so I don't want to go with the full show here - I've already hired the top Haitian painter in town to paint the place for what is as much as full month's rent....So if I can just get by on a penlight stash for a year or so, I''ll be fine.

Thanks for the info, I bought mine just before I left the States last month - it was @ 20 and came with 4 batteries - 2 AA and 4 AAA and I have another packet as well. But I think that they would be a smash hit with the visiting tourists - little light weight handheld flashlights and rechargers for the Dominicans would save money. The local population here appears quite affluent and bright - Middle class by American Standards. In NYC Dominicans have the reputation of being the brightest of all the Latinos that come there. And all the Latinos come there.
Beisboll is both our sports --

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
mountainannie said:
So you have to put the date on the calendar, right? And go around the house changing the batteries? Not so hard to remember. My issue here is that the lights are what I called the "Third World Specials" Bare bulb, center room style. It's only a rental - and for a year - so I don't want to go with the full show here - I've already hired the top Haitian painter in town to paint the place for what is as much as full month's rent....So if I can just get by on a penlight stash for a year or so, I''ll be fine.

Thanks for the info, I bought mine just before I left the States last month - it was @ 20 and came with 4 batteries - 2 AA and 4 AAA and I have another packet as well. But I think that they would be a smash hit with the visiting tourists - little light weight handheld flashlights and rechargers for the Dominicans would save money. The local population here appears quite affluent and bright - Middle class by American Standards. In NYC Dominicans have the reputation of being the brightest of all the Latinos that come there. And all the Latinos come there.
Beisboll is both our sports --

The NIMH batteries would just need to be recharged after sitting a couple of months or so, but they would still be good. That's why alkylines may be better for something like a flashlight, which may sit around for a long time without being used since their shelf life is about 2 years or so. come to think of it though, with the power outages there the flashlight probably gets used more often, and NIMH might be good.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Please PM me if interested

mountainannie,

I have the connections in the states and also the means to ship and export them if you have someone who is genuinely interested.There are several types available. Please PM me and I will give you my e-mail address. I am an electronics reseller and have been doing this for a long time. I have shipped all over the world including the DR. The cost looks good even with the shipping if the price you quoted holds for the guy. Yes, they come with either 2 or 4 batteries and plug right into the wall. That way when the power comes back on like it does every day you can just have them in the charger and they will top off.

I'm not here to debate whether they will work or not, just that I can do what you were originally asking if you are interested. Same with any other electronics /computer items although with the shipping sometimes I am not competitive.

-Tim

zannetti

May 17, 2006
Batteryspace.com Universal Charger with Converter and Batteries

My Needs

The reason I needed to purchase a universal charger and rechargeable batteries was because we recently had our first child. I quickly found out that the majority of the toys that amuse her are battery powered toys; swings, musical toys, and bouncer. The other fun fact is that each toy she likes uses a different kind of battery size. I was spending $10 per week on cheap dollar store batteries.

Purchase and Benefits

I recently purchased the Family Power Kit with the BC1HU Universal Charger and 18 Various Batteries from batteryspace.com. I spent a good amount of time researching which charger system and batteries to purchase. I found that some site would offer the same charge, but lower rated batteries for the same or higher price.

So as soon as I purchased this family power kit I sent an email to three other fathers that will be having kids in the next 3 months to at least warn them.

Another important reason I used batteryspace.com was because they had very helpful links that explained the difference between the charging systems and the types of rechargeable batteries. I spend a few hours on the site reading about the different technologies and what would best solve my situation. I could not find this kind of help on any other web site.

The shipping of the product was also great. Batteryspace.com had the product in stock and it was shipped almost immediately. I even remember receiving an email within a few hours with my tracking number. Maybe I submitted my order just before a cut off period, but the shipping turn around time was outstanding.

The universal charger and batteries have been working great for us so far. Of course I would like to know exactly how many charges each cell get over the lifetime, but with a kid running around I don?t have that luxury right now. The best part has been the fact that we can rotate the batteries in the charging system. When one set runs out of power we can just throw them in the charger and next morning they are ready to be used again. Trust me when I say the money was well spent. Having a crying kid due to a toy not working is much more expensive than a few dollars. The investment in the charger and batteries in my mind paid for it self within the first month.

Area of Improvements

One improvement they could make with their combo selections would either to offer more combo options. I would have liked to purchase a combo with more size D batteries. Another option would be to allow users on batteryspace.com to build their own combo packages to meet the specific needs and give the user a set discount.

It would be great if they also offered different various capacity levels of batteries. They have the high capacity batteries, but I know I would like to purchase some back up batteries that would be a lower capacity and obviously then a cheaper price.

I have to admit that my experience with batteryspace.com and the family power kit has been excellent. I am extremely satisfied and will continue to recommend this company and product.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
battery chargers

zannetti said:
My Needs

The reason I needed to purchase a universal charger and rechargeable batteries was because we recently had our first child. I quickly found out that the majority of the toys that amuse her are battery powered toys; swings, musical toys, and bouncer. The other fun fact is that each toy she likes uses a different kind of battery size. I was spending $10 per week on cheap dollar store batteries.

Purchase and Benefits

I recently purchased the Family Power Kit with the BC1HU Universal Charger and 18 Various Batteries from batteryspace.com. I spent a good amount of time researching which charger system and batteries to purchase. I found that some site would offer the same charge, but lower rated batteries for the same or higher price.

So as soon as I purchased this family power kit I sent an email to three other fathers that will be having kids in the next 3 months to at least warn them.

Another important reason I used batteryspace.com was because they had very helpful links that explained the difference between the charging systems and the types of rechargeable batteries. I spend a few hours on the site reading about the different technologies and what would best solve my situation. I could not find this kind of help on any other web site.

The shipping of the product was also great. Batteryspace.com had the product in stock and it was shipped almost immediately. I even remember receiving an email within a few hours with my tracking number. Maybe I submitted my order just before a cut off period, but the shipping turn around time was outstanding.

The universal charger and batteries have been working great for us so far. Of course I would like to know exactly how many charges each cell get over the lifetime, but with a kid running around I don?t have that luxury right now. The best part has been the fact that we can rotate the batteries in the charging system. When one set runs out of power we can just throw them in the charger and next morning they are ready to be used again. Trust me when I say the money was well spent. Having a crying kid due to a toy not working is much more expensive than a few dollars. The investment in the charger and batteries in my mind paid for it self within the first month.

Area of Improvements

One improvement they could make with their combo selections would either to offer more combo options. I would have liked to purchase a combo with more size D batteries. Another option would be to allow users on batteryspace.com to build their own combo packages to meet the specific needs and give the user a set discount.

It would be great if they also offered different various capacity levels of batteries. They have the high capacity batteries, but I know I would like to purchase some back up batteries that would be a lower capacity and obviously then a cheaper price.

I have to admit that my experience with batteryspace.com and the family power kit has been excellent. I am extremely satisfied and will continue to recommend this company and product.

you can buy battery chargers here in dr all over the olace...Pricesmart....la sirena,plaza lama......for 700 to 1500 pesos,,,