Thanks dr1.com! But.. I need more help!

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
As it turns out, the 3 OTHER times that I've been to DR have been a much better time to be adventurous. Usually I stay in Cofresi (at the EMI resorts). This time I thought I"d be different and stay at the BAHIA PRINCIPE which is INCOVENIENTLY located 90 minutes from Puerto Plata! I would love a poll.... help me ... lol....

Who says.... (option 1) I flag down any form of local transportation and endure 90 mins of driving to get to Puerto Plata and BE adventurous (this is the first time I"ve left the resort by myself).

Who says.... (option 2) Crazy Canadian.... plant your butt on the beach, take a pre-arranged tour save yourself the 90 minute heart attack and stay at the resort.

I"m really at a toss up! I was geared up for a great adventure, before I got my hands on some great maps that you all suggested to me. NOw I realize that my resort is near the village of Rio San Juan which is really far from Puerto Plata LOL.....

If I do decide to take a guagua or taxi/van local transportation.... how early do they usually run and until how late? Because it's a 90 minute trip, I have to leave time to return to the resort. That last thing I'd want is to be trapped in Puerto Plata 90 mins from my resort (rotfl....) The main reason I want to get back to Puerto Plata is because of the wonderful jewlery stores I was in last time. Didn't have enough with me then to buy stuff, but do now! Are there any jewlery stores in San Juan? Also... how do the drivers know where to take me back too? Do they know where all the resorts are? If I tell them Bahia Principe, will they know where that is? There has to be hundreds of resorts.... I figure there's a possibity I end up at the wrong resort lol...

A big hug and thanks to all that have helped me in my search for crazy DR adventure. If I live through this, I'll take some great photos and bring everyone near Toronto, Ontario back some rum (lol.. sorry I"m close to TOronto!!!)

So.... which option do I chose?

:D :eek:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, I'd say option 1............but if you have to ask, I'm wondering if you have sufficient confidence to do it. I think that may be the only problem........journey etc will not be a problem, although may be a bit squashed in places. Any vehicle can have an accident, your chances are no higher or lower in a gua-gua versus a tour bus versus a taxi.
Gua-guas run from 7am (some earlier) until 6.00 ish. To make sure you get one, leave PP to go back to Rio San Juan by 5.00. Yes if you're in a taxi the driver should know the resort & if not he can ask. There are not hundreds of hotels in Rio San Juan.......not yet, anyway.
Really, anj, it is no big deal. You will not exactly be venturing where no foreigner has ever been. Now if you want a REAL adventure, come with me to Fortaleza if I'm visiting someone there (Puerto Plata prison). Actually, on second thoughts........ ;)
I'll repeat what I said earlier.......if self confidence is a bit of a problem, then you are going to be giving off vibes to that effect. That wouldn't be good news. I'm also wondering why you are asking again, having had quite a lot of helpful suggestions previously? People here can only advise, they can't make the decision for you. If it is the latter you are looking for, then stay on the beach! ;) And the best of luck, whatever you decide!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My first thought is why go to Puerto Plata. This is not a place that I would head for unless I needed something specific. Go the other way and check out Cabrera which is a much nicer place with great people.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
All depends on what your looking for?

Cabrera might be a nice place with nice people, but that's it.
It's not a tourist destination and you will get bored within 15 mins.
Go in the other direction, you will have a lot more fun and I'm sure a more interesting experience. Something to talk about when you get back home :)

So... get on the bus and head towards Puerto Plata and stop off on the way and spend some money.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Anj, you mentioned in an earlier post that you pay as much as $100 apiece for day tours. For a lot less $, you can hire a professional bilinguel driver and a first rate vehicle for the whole day. Go where ever you want, they will wait for you. You will be doing yourself a great disservice if you just plant your butt in the sand and stay put. The best part of the DR are the Dominicans.

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
Camden Tom said:
Anj, you mentioned in an earlier post that you pay as much as $100 apiece for day tours. For a lot less $, you can hire a professional bilinguel driver and a first rate vehicle for the whole day. Go where ever you want, they will wait for you. You will be doing yourself a great disservice if you just plant your butt in the sand and stay put. The best part of the DR are the Dominicans.

*** Tom - I did get in contact with a private driver recommended by another dr1-er but he quoted me a price of $125 US for one way, and I don't know if that was both of us or just per person! Also, he was not agreeing to wait for us and such, just take us where we needed to go and come back and get us when we call him. I want to get off the resort, but I was shocked at this price. I think the guagua is going to be our best bet.. even if it means sitting in a packed bus with chickens and broken windows LOL..... for $125 US a Canadian sure can get a lot of stuff... a lot more than a van ride :lick: I think I'll take my chances, thanks for your advice!

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
Robert said:
All depends on what your looking for?

Cabrera might be a nice place with nice people, but that's it.
It's not a tourist destination and you will get bored within 15 mins.
Go in the other direction, you will have a lot more fun and I'm sure a more interesting experience. Something to talk about when you get back home :)

So... get on the bus and head towards Puerto Plata and stop off on the way and spend some money.

*** Does Cabrera have a jewelery store and a supermarket where I could get some ear rings, some coffee and vanilla? That's basically what I'm after... maybe I don't have to go as far as Puerto Plata? Cabrera looks a lot closer to San Juan than Peurto Plata does! Also, does Cabrera have a local restaurant? I don't care if the city is small, I live in a tiny city.. I"m just after a few specific things.. mostly the ear rings, I figured I'd have to go into town to go to a jewelry store. I can't wear any fake gold because I'm allergic.... so I wanted to get some real gold with amber stones, possibly a ring to match. Tell me more about Cabrera......