Working & Childcare - how does this work in DR?

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
Hey all!

As I am still deciding whether moving to the DR is the right thing for me to do with my 5 yr old son - I still need some advice!!

How does it work with working, school and child care. While I was in DR I was told that school takes place at different times in the day so as to accomodate a working parent - or working child.

In England it is taken for granted that you work a regular 9-5 job. your child goes to school 9-3 and then they either go to an after school club or you get a child minder. (Obviously im being very general this is not the case for everyone, I dont want anyone to start critiscing me for this!!)

So if anyone could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanx!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
childcare

Depending on what type of work you intend to do here, you most likely can afford a housekeeper / nanny. IT seems to be what most people do. It is very affordable here.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Kids go to school in the morning, from 8am till 12pm. In the afternoon you have the option to put them in activities; art, music, sport, etc... (in other schools) or leave them at home with a nanny ( I pay my nanny RD$4000/month). The schools open in the afternoon are for older kids or universities. ;) During summer vacation some schools will offer a summer camp from 8am till 5pm.