belgium family moving to sosua

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
This is just a tread to intruduce this family.
My name is sabrina and together with my parents and son i am moving to sosua next october.
We are a family that fell in love with the dr on several visits.We were the kind of people who didn't stay in their resorts but wanted to see how real life is in this wonderfull country.We love the easy go lucky way of the dominicans.Although most of them doen't have a easy life they are people who never forget to enjoy life.We met some wonderfull people and talked about the way of live in this country.We wanted to live there right awy but had enough brains to realise that the dr is a totally different world to busy,running belgium.
So we decised to do alot of research about the dr.On the internet,reading books,talking to people who did it before us.More than a year we spend on talking and thinking about immigrating to the dr.As we know jobs are difficult to find and don't pay enough we started thinking about starting our own buisiness.We brainstormed for along time and starting doing an investigation wether or not there is any need for a brandnew excursion in the sosua area.
We started to get in contact with hotels and touroperators.Looked for the things we need to start our buisiness.We looked for a laywer that came recommended and started up our resedency and buisiness papers.Next july we will be in sosua for a month to look for a villa we can rent longterm because we would never buy a house without knowing more about the live overthere.
We are welaware that we are the foreigners and are "new" to these peoples country.We know that in the dr "manyana" is the word if you need something. ha ha!
We thaught along time before we decised to take the plunge.We are a hardworking family that adapt fast to a new lifestyle.
We are not people who do something without thinking hard and long about it.
But efcourse we know to expect the unexpected and we know we are gonna have a hard start.But we love the country and people and want to be a part of it!
This is our story,hope it's not to long!
bey bey

sabrina

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Good luck Sabrina!

Good luck Sabrina and family and let me say that only people that do things like you are living life to its fullest. Staying in the same place with a routine your entire life must be so boring. I am Dominican and have been fortunate to have lived in the USA for a long time and also in Europe and these experiences have so enriched my life and now I am enjoying my native country but with quite a bunch of experiences lived and memories aplenty to enrich my days to come.
Keep us informed on your progress.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Hi Sabrina,
I know that you would do fine in your business venture because you have the most important support which is that of your family.

Just do realize that not every Dominican that you will encounter is a nice guy and there will always be some of these bad apples trying to scam you.
Avoid any suggested business ventures by these bad apples.

Good luck, MR_DR

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Mislarimar

Just wanted to wish you and your family the best. There are many here who will do their best to give you great advice.

Good Luck,

JD

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
Hey guys,

It just just final jippie!
We will be arriving in july 2005 forever and will be starting up a brandnew excursion.
We really hope to make many new friends in the sosua ( and all over the DR) and start a brandnew life !

and yes,we know it won't be easy but we are willing to give it more than 100 procent and don't come unprepared!
Wish us luck!

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
mislarimar said:
thanks alot everyone!
by the way,it's freezing in belgium,the roads are all white and icy!
i don't think i will be missing that in the dr!
ha ha

Hm...

A winter morning with that cool crispness in the air and the trees powdered with snow that looks like icing sugar. Rose bushes asleep waiting for spring, with icicles on the branches, reflecting the first rays of the morning sun. So beautiful!t

You won't miss that?

Belgium has some of the finest beer in the world and the food is a delicious blend of the best of French cuisine and Belgian tradition.

You won't miss that?

With the central location in Europe, you can easily go on weekends to more places that I have the energy to name here. When I lived in Sweden, I would fly to London, just to see an art exhibition. Even more easy if living in Belgium.

You won't miss that?

wim

Jan 10, 2002
I'm also from Belgium and also I'm going to live in the DR soon . Al the stuff that voyager is seeing I don't miss a thing of that . My wife is dominican so the food is for me passed 3 years dominican , I don't like the snow and cold wheater , and the beer Presidente is also very good wen it is very cold .

So , you see for al the problems ( that you think that are problems ) are solucions .

Happy live in the DR

Greetings , Wim .

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Welcome to the island Sabrina and family! I agree with whats said before, over and over again.. Go slow, make your own road and your own decisions. Not every Dominican or even "gringo" has the answers for your work or needs in your new chapter of life. Check everything twice, make your own "checks" for your business - slow, day by day.. You will get many suggestions, ideas, meet people who "know it all" etc. etc. And yes, there are many people who knows alot, who has alots of experience from living here, from running their businesses here and so on. Listen to those people, take their advises, but dont start paying for advises, nor in money or in getting into trouble.
When you start a business here, other from your lawyer, many people will want to offer services of various kinds for various kind of money!
Doublecheck with this board, there are many, many great people here who can give you information on everything from living, schools, businesses etc etc. No question is too big or too small!

And true, as written before me, you have the most valuable treasure with you, your family!
Let us know how you are doing and hope to see you here on the island!

Ps. How old is your son? Mine is 14.. If around that, let em meet, my son would be happy to take your son out for a basketball game or something!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
wim said:
I'm also from Belgium and also I'm going to live in the DR soon . Al the stuff that voyager is seeing I don't miss a thing of that . My wife is dominican so the food is for me passed 3 years dominican , I don't like the snow and cold wheater , and the beer Presidente is also very good wen it is very cold .

So , you see for al the problems ( that you think that are problems ) are solucions .

Happy live in the DR

Greetings , Wim .

Are you sure you're called Wim and not Johan sounds like me
From Belgium
Married to a Dominican
3 years Dominican Food
I prefere the rum
And monday i know when i'll be going (befor summer or after)

Greetings

Johan

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Voyager said:
Hm...

A winter morning with that cool crispness in the air and the trees powdered with snow that looks like icing sugar. Rose bushes asleep waiting for spring, with icicles on the branches, reflecting the first rays of the morning sun. So beautiful!t

You won't miss that?

Belgium has some of the finest beer in the world and the food is a delicious blend of the best of French cuisine and Belgian tradition.

You won't miss that?

With the central location in Europe, you can easily go on weekends to more places that I have the energy to name here. When I lived in Sweden, I would fly to London, just to see an art exhibition. Even more easy if living in Belgium.

You won't miss that?
She probably wont miss all that because she is probably tired of all that.
I am very sure she has done her share of traveling in those areas.

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
The countdown!

My name is Sabrina Snyers and i am from Belgium.

We are the people arriving the second week of Juli 2005 and starting up the "adventure buggy tour" in september.
We "did our homework" very carefully and took our time because we want to offer a quality-tour and not just be the " next excursion" coming to Sosua.
We want to put our backs into it and offer a quality tour,set up into detail.
We did extensive research on weither our tour would be welcomed there and get customers efcourse.
We are arriving begin of july but would like to open in September because we want every little detail to be in perfekt order.And we believe those 2 months are needed to get "used" to our new life.
We have also heard and learned much from the "horror-stories" regarding people relocating to the Dr.And you wouldn't believe how many people have contacted us trying to "get into our wallets".
But we are dedicated to make our tour a succes with hard work.
I went to university here and studied marketing and sales but i believe i learned best just "doing it".
My past busuiness here was succesfull and i loved it but i really fell in love with the DR,mostly the wonderfull scenery and people.
I believe that when you are really willing to work you do have a chance to make a life for ourselves over there.
Here in belgium i use to breed and show very special breeds of expensive showcats and organised shows and meetings.And i have worked in tourisme in other parts of the world and found out that working in that area ( tourisme) is what i want the most,and love the most.I also have been a teacher to kids and that really teaches one patience ha ha!
I really hope to meet many of the posters here when we are in sosua because i am sure we can learn alot from all of you !
Just a little over 2 weeks now and counting!
wish us luck people!
And i would like to send a special thank you to the people on this board who shared their experiences ( the good and the bad) with us.
And a very special thanks to "planner" and "carina" from this forum as they were always ready to help me with any questions!
Thanks girls!

With high regards,

family snyers-belien

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Good to hear about your project again.

mislarimar said:
The countdown!...My name is Sabrina Snyers and i am from Belgium...We are the people arriving the second week of Juli 2005 and starting up the "adventure buggy tour" in september.
family snyers-belien

Looking forward to your opening up your business and give us more details once you get started. Would love to go patronize it and utilize your services
on occasion. Best of Luck!

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Chris said:
Moet nie my vergeet nie! Afrikaans is ook nog 'n kind van Nederlands/Vlaams! :classic:

Sorry for my short sight
Yes true, afrikaans is also a kind of Dutch

Arjan

But back to the topic

WELCOME to the Dominican Republic !!!!

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
I'm from Belgium too, I lived in the DR for three years, and I never missed the belgian wether, chocolate, beer,...

I had even more problems when I came back to Belgium, I miss the dominican things: the weather, pinapples, mangoes, aguacates, beer, beach, sun and offcourse the friendly people!!

Sorry to the Belgians who read this, but they are not as half as friendly as the dominicans...

All the best for Sabrina and her family who move to Sosua, also all the best to Johan and Wim who are planning to move to the DR!!!

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
..each has its particular charm...

As a Dominican who has visited Belgium on a couple of occasions, let me say that even if Belgians are not as outgoing or friendly as Dominicans, and I hate these generalizations because it really depends on the individuals,
Belgians have their own particular charm that Dominicans do not.

You may not have beaches, palm trees or tropical fruits, but you have excellent first world food (the best meal I have ever had was at Vivaldi's(?) in Brugges), the Grand Place, the Atomium and mini-Europe, Ghent, Brugges and Antwerp to name a few. You can drive to France, Luxembourg, Germany and the Netherlands with ease, to say nothing of the rest of Europe; you can take a ferry to Great Britain and you can wear sweaters, play in the snow and watch the leaves change into beautiful colors, fall and grow new again in the spring.

I'll gladly trade places with a Belgian or any other European!