Born in D.R, but U.S citizen, need help

nugirlnyc

Nov 1, 2004
Hello, I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with some information. I was born in the Dominican Republic and became a U.S citizen by default (I was under the age of 18) because of my mother becoming a U.S. citizen. I never received a "Cedula" because I left D.R when I was two and only returned during the summer times and now I go for my two week vacations. I was wondering if I am still a Dominican Citizen and if I decide to move to D.R in the coming months will I be able to get my "Cedula" and if so does anyone know the process I need to take, how long it takes and how much money it will cost me? Love to hear your feedback.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
should be no problem

nugirlnyc said:
Hello, I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with some information. I was born in the Dominican Republic and became a U.S citizen by default (I was under the age of 18) because of my mother becoming a U.S. citizen. I never received a "Cedula" because I left D.R when I was two and only returned during the summer times and now I go for my two week vacations. I was wondering if I am still a Dominican Citizen and if I decide to move to D.R in the coming months will I be able to get my "Cedula" and if so does anyone know the process I need to take, how long it takes and how much money it will cost me? Love to hear your feedback.

nugirlnyc,

I'm sure the DR1 lawyer-in-residence will give you more specifics re .the bureucratic route to take, but I do know this much: you can reclaim your Dominican citizenship if you can produce your birth certificate, since it is your birthright and not something you lose just because you didn't get your c?dula before. Good luck and do get proper legal advice before you make your decision.
;)
- Tordok

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
First step is to request your birth certificate. You needed a birth certificate to get your US passport.

From what I know, you need to request an original birth certificate of hte new version -- the one you would have is the old kind -- and have it legalized in the office (located in the Cedula building near the Alliance Francaise in the Centro de los Heroes, that is if you were born in Santo Domingo). Once you have that original you can request the cedula at that same office.

I understand there is no charge for this service.

Someone who has done this process recently, can correct me.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Everyone has been correct.
Yes, you are still a Domincan citizen.
Yes, you can get a cedula.
Get a legalize birth certificate. Go to (I think) where you vote and get the Cedula. I did it last year.
I don't remember where we went (my bro.-in-law) took me.
It will be a long wait. they will give it to you there on the same date.
Anyone knows more feel free to correct me.