Remembering Las Hermanas Mirabal

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Thursday November 25 is the anniversary of their death. It's also international day for no more violence against women(which is a big problem in DR).

I think they contribte many things to what is the DR today.
What are your thought on this? Do they really deserve all the credit they are given or no? How about making an international date in their honor, what do you think? What do you know about them, other than what we read on them in the books?

Pls post your thoughts. This should be a great read.

Great site: http://el-bohio.com/mirabal/
Feel free to add more sites

Last edited:

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I thought there was a push to change the name of the Avenida George Washington (El Malecon) and re name the street Avenida Mirabal. It would make much sense in my view, although we should thank the US marines for invading our island, and we are very grateful to George Washington for all his fine work, and contributions to the Dominican way of life.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Good Posting!

- This is refreshing to see!
- We're talking about positive things done by Dominicans for a change.
- How about a discussion of Maximo Gomez contribution to Cuba's independence.
- Can you find a Canadian having the heroic credentials of the Mirabal sisters or that of Generealisimo Maximo Gomez?

- Well. I think that our focus of discussion can go beyond sankies. whores and the falling us dollar.
:eek:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A political crime

Thursday November 25 is the anniversary of their death. It's also international day for no more violence against women(which is a big problem in DR).

In mho, its a great disservice to lump Patria, Minerva, and Mar?a Teresa Mirabal with victims of violence against women, as if they died at the hands of wife-beating husbands. Their heroism goes way beyond any gender classification.

Mirador

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mirador said:
In mho, its a great disservice to lump Patria, Minerva, and Mar?a Teresa Mirabal with victims of violence against women, as if they died at the hands of wife-beating husbands. Their heroism goes way beyond any gender classification.

Mirador

Yes, this has always puzzled me too.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Mirador, I agree 100% with you. Although I understand that domestic violence is an extreme problem in the DR, they did not die because of the usual reasons or in their husband's hands.

I agree that they should name some sort of monument of street in their honor and yes, a day to acknowledge the need to control the violence will be well appreciated.

How about some awareness against machete carrying cave men from el Campo?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
they did it in PP!

Talldrink said:
Mirador, I agree 100% with you. Although I understand that domestic violence is an extreme problem in the DR, they did not die because of the usual reasons or in their husband's hands.

I agree that they should name some sort of monument of street in their honor and yes, a day to acknowledge the need to control the violence will be well appreciated.

How about some awareness against machete carrying cave men from el Campo?

Avenida de las Hermanas Mirabal runs from the carratera to the east end of the malecon.