Need to buy a car in D.R Please help

nugirlnyc

Nov 1, 2004
Hello Everyone! I need some help from you guys (that's right, once again). I am planning on buying a car in D.R. but the only website I can find with some prices is super-carros.com, and it's ridiculouse the prices on there, you guys seem to think that they are much less than that, but how much less? Is there such a thing as leasing a car in D.R? How easy is it to finance a car in D.R without having to put much down? Where can I go to get a good deal? I dont want anything new but I was thinking about a 2001-2002 year. And that doesn't cost more than 8k (dollars that is). I dont think that it will be easy but I'm sure you guys have information that I dont have that could make it easier than what it seems. Took me at least 5 days to speak to someone in Valores to find out that the shipping was more than what the car is worth (unbelievable), it's too much of a headache to buy in the states anyway.

Please help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's see: 8 x 3 = 24

That means you have about RD$240 K to spend. Ha!

You might find a 10 year old pickup truck for that money. But you will find absolutely nothing in the 2001-2002 model years. Unless, that is, you are here and going through the classifieds everyday and have a friend that can help you check out the vehicles.

Sorry to rain on the parade...

HB :D:D

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
nugirlnyc,

First of all, you probably should forget about financing in the DR. Unless cars are different from everything else, the interest rates are ridiculous.

With only RD240,000 to spend, unless you have help and get lucky like HB said, you will either need to settle for a less "reputable" brand like a Daewoo, or consider something a bit older. There are 2003 model Daewoos on super-carros in your price range, so you should actually be able to find one for less. Personally, I'd feel safer with an older model Toyota or Honda. If you want something like an SUV, you're talking a lot more money.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
It is not so hard, but it will take some work

If you have 240,000 to spend, you can find an older model (i.e. late 1980s) SUV. There are plenty about. Expect to have to supervise a number of repairs that wouldn?t be necessary if the car had been maintained or operated properly (e,g, radiator, brakes, interior). Notice that you need to supervise the repairs, not just pay for them. Mechanics don?t have the same level of training or work ethic that you generally find in Europe or North America. You also need to expect the normal wear and tear type repairs (bearings, front end, exhaust, cylinders).

The good news is parts for Japanese models are no more expensive than what you are used to and some parts cost less than you might expect. Also, labor costs are dead cheap.

It boils down to a question of convenience. If you have the time and patience, you can get reliable and safe transportation in the price range you mentioned. If you don?t have that time and patience, you will do better to save your money until you can afford something in a higher price range.

You also need some knowledge of auto maintenance and repairs or you will be victimized by unscrupulous mechanics. In my opinion, the risks are lowest in the upper and lower extremes of the auto market. In the middle, there is too much room for scams involving salvaged cars welded together, shiny paint jobs on wrecks, and assorted other mischief aimed at separating the unsuspectding from their money.

Use supercarros.com and the print classifieds as market benchmarks. Take advantage of any trusted relationships you might have, and best of luck!

sweetdbt said:
nugirlnyc,

First of all, you probably should forget about financing in the DR. Unless cars are different from everything else, the interest rates are ridiculous.

With only RD240,000 to spend, unless you have help and get lucky like HB said, you will either need to settle for a less "reputable" brand like a Daewoo, or consider something a bit older. There are 2003 model Daewoos on super-carros in your price range, so you should actually be able to find one for less. Personally, I'd feel safer with an older model Toyota or Honda. If you want something like an SUV, you're talking a lot more money.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Really True What Prices Are...

What Hillbilly is telling you is right on the money. You will not find a 2001-2002 in the price range you desire. And yes, those prices are crazy but they are a fact. I bought my vehicle for 11,200...a year ago. They now want 17,000 for the same thing. That is a 1999.

I am amazed when I go back to USA and see prices on used vehicles. You can get a great vehicle for 3000 - 5000 usd in usa. But not here.

I suppose you are making a move here for good. You are certain you will not return to USA. Either way it is probably best that you come here and accept that you may be without a vehicle for a little while. Take public transportation. It is no disgrace. When you have enough money to get a very reliable, sound vehicle then make the purchase. Don't take the word of your new friends here. Do the hard work. Research vehicles. Decide on a few models you would like to have. Then start shopping with only those in mind...because you researched and know them. Focus only on them. Don't take the first one that looks like a good deal. Another one will come along. Know how to look a vehicle over for items like body damage that has been worked over to hide the fact that the vehicle was wrecked. Look the documents over very carefully. Ask to sit down and spend some time with the documents. Check the owners ID against the documents. Does name and number match perfectly. Know how to check various locations on vehicle for vehicle ID number. Do I sound paranoid?..hehe...I am. I drove my vehicle three times before I made an offer. Don't take the sellers attorneys word that the documents are in order. The sellers attorney for my vehicle made five mistakes on the paperwork. If I had not been careful and had an attorney look it over for me...I could have run into all kinds of problems.

The process is probably much easier for a dominican speaking fluent spanish. I don't speak fluent spanish. I am very cautious. But I think when you are talking 10K or more you have to be very cautuous.

Best of Luck.

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
I know your resources probably wont stretch but i think we all have to face the same learning curve here. Most of the used cars more then a couple of years old are total junk for unbelievable mount of money. It seems if it is capable of moving 100 yards its worth $5000 and else-where we wouldnt pay more then 100 bucks for it.

Im sure there are others in the same situation as you looking for a qaulity used car. I hope Robert don't mind too much on this little plug but i leaving DR after 3 years of fun and adding my bit to these forums but need a little "re-structuring " and heading for Spain. Need to be a bit closer to my UK homeland.

Im out of here by mid January and have a Hyundai Santa Fe SUV 2003 model, 2.4 block for good MPG, Auto, wine red, 18 months old in excellent condition. Just 11,000 Km and still has 6 months manufacture warranty left. Its been a brilliant car i cant fault it and will buy another a soon a i get to Spain. 100% legit i paid cash for it new no finance and have the docs in my name. $18,500 US cash will secure just PM me. Im in Juan Dolio if you want to pop down and take it for a test drive.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Bolt said:
I know your resources probably wont stretch but i think we all have to face the same learning curve here. Most of the used cars more then a couple of years old are total junk for unbelievable mount of money. It seems if it is capable of moving 100 yards its worth $5000 and else-where we wouldnt pay more then 100 bucks for it.

Im sure there are others in the same situation as you looking for a qaulity used car. I hope Robert don't mind too much on this little plug but i leaving DR after 3 years of fun and adding my bit to these forums but need a little "re-structuring " and heading for Spain. Need to be a bit closer to my UK homeland.

Im out of here by mid January and have a Hyundai Santa Fe SUV 2003 model, 2.4 block for good MPG, Auto, wine red, 18 months old in excellent condition. Just 11,000 Km and still has 6 months manufacture warranty left. Its been a brilliant car i cant fault it and will buy another a soon a i get to Spain. 100% legit i paid cash for it new no finance and have the docs in my name. $18,500 US cash will secure just PM me. Im in Juan Dolio if you want to pop down and take it for a test drive.

That is a good reliable SUV and the price is right. Too bad that I did not want to go thrue the used car route and bought a 0 km brand new Nissan Primera (almost loaded) for 20K at el Yaque in Santiago. No question that the way to go in the DR is the SUV way.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
tomgallo said:
That is a good reliable SUV and the price is right. Too bad that I did not want to go thrue the used car route and bought a 0 km brand new Nissan Primera (almost loaded) for 20K at el Yaque in Santiago. No question that the way to go in the DR is the SUV way.

Why? Why SUVs and not another type of vehicle? Is this type more suited to the DR terrain, streets? More protection when driving, perhaps? Do other cars break down quicker? Why is the SUV "the way to go in the DR"?

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
juancarlos said:
Why? Why SUVs and not another type of vehicle? Is this type more suited to the DR terrain, streets? More protection when driving, perhaps? Do other cars break down quicker? Why is the SUV "the way to go in the DR"?

Bad roads will make them offroads compared to North America. SUV's more
suitable for Offroads travel.

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
Well when you have driven a regular car here for more then a week you will soon know why. SUV's have much higher ground clearance to absorb the huge fast appearing potholes and for still getting around during heavy rainfalls. Everytime it rains here there is no drainage system thus the roads become rivers. Without some vehicle height your doomed!

Also during roadworks they think nothing of diverting traffic accross 3 miles of concrete rubble when they fix up the highways. What are you going to do in a small car? You cant turn around its one way so you have to go with the traffic. If your lucky you might make it through without ripping off the exhaust or getting a burst tyre on your little 13 inch wheels.

Owning an SUV does not mean one has to go looking for cross country mud tracks to test it out but they often come to you when you are not expecting it.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
nugirlnyc said:
Hello Everyone! I need some help from you guys (that's right, once again). I am planning on buying a car in D.R. but the only website I can find with some prices is super-carros.com, and it's ridiculouse the prices on there, you guys seem to think that they are much less than that, but how much less? Is there such a thing as leasing a car in D.R? How easy is it to finance a car in D.R without having to put much down? Where can I go to get a good deal? I dont want anything new but I was thinking about a 2001-2002 year. And that doesn't cost more than 8k (dollars that is). I dont think that it will be easy but I'm sure you guys have information that I dont have that could make it easier than what it seems. Took me at least 5 days to speak to someone in Valores to find out that the shipping was more than what the car is worth (unbelievable), it's too much of a headache to buy in the states anyway.

Please help.
You might want to heed these folks advise (well, maybe some of 'em ;) ). One suggestion is to check with the ports (customs) lots of people ship vehicles, but have no money to pay the necessary duties due to the government.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Bolt said:
Well when you have driven a regular car here for more then a week you will soon know why. SUV's have much higher ground clearance to absorb the huge fast appearing potholes and for still getting around during heavy rainfalls. Everytime it rains here there is no drainage system thus the roads become rivers. Without some vehicle height your doomed!

Also during roadworks they think nothing of diverting traffic accross 3 miles of concrete rubble when they fix up the highways. What are you going to do in a small car? You cant turn around its one way so you have to go with the traffic. If your lucky you might make it through without ripping off the exhaust or getting a burst tyre on your little 13 inch wheels.

Owning an SUV does not mean one has to go looking for cross country mud tracks to test it out but they often come to you when you are not expecting it.

Tomgallo wrote:
Bad roads will make them offroads compared to North America. SUV's more
suitable for Offroads travel.

Thank you both for your explanations. Since I don't live in the DR nor have I ever visited there, I wanted to know the practical advantage of owning an SUV in DR. No wonder there are so many of them there!