finally got a red light ticket

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
History was made today. I, finally, got my well deserved ticket today in santiago. I crossed a red light, not knowing a serious Amet police was waiting on me. He was upset that I broke the law while he was watching me up close. My crime was, i never saw him. So he was obviously upset at my audacity to commit a traffic offense in his presence. To my misfortune, I didn't know this particular police. He wouldn't listen to my BS and didn't care whom I knew in his department. After taking away my license, the smart *** tells me "well, since you know my boss, then call him to get your license back....I am sure he will help you".
So for the first time in 7 yrs of driving like crazy dominicans, I finally earned my ticket. Thanks god it happened today, I just didn't know what else to do to provoke them to give me the ticket. At first I was happy to have finally done it but then I became a bit sad. Driving in santiago is no fun anymore. So much damn Amet police around, I feel like back in NYC. It seems, no more driving around with loud stereo blasting, without seatbelt and talking on cel. Now I must be more careful crossing red lights, these guys are everywhere. Where is the fun in driving carefree in DR? I am moving back to civilization.
Hahahaha, don't take it all too seriously. I will get my license back tomorrow, without even going to the court.
its this country wonderful?
AZB

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
will now your insurance go up? if traffic tickets don't affect your insurance rate you're lucky. i know here in canada with a ticket like that insurance rate would skyrocket.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
How do you get your lic. back with out going to court. And should one carry a photocopy of your lic instead of the real thing.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
jerryme said:
So its funny you drive thru red lights and probably cause accidents?

If you stop at a red light you are more liable to cause a multi car collision behind you. The other drivers will not be expecting you to stop unless there is traffic blocking your path.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Bob K said:
How do you get your lic. back with out going to court. And should one carry a photocopy of your lic instead of the real thing.

If you know someone high up with the police, they will get your license back for you.

It is easiest to simply tell the cop that another AMET agent took your license just a short while ago.

Legally the AMET agents can not issue you a fine (only a ticket but without a fine on the ticket), can not take your license, and can not take you vehicle.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Like I always say, get to know powerful dominicans and your life would be very easy in DR. When I get stopped by police, I let them do what ever. I usually sweet talk myself out of any situation. Then if things get ugly, I let them give me a ticket or whatever. then I make a call and things get done with an appology. I will have my license in my hands tomorrow.
No, I don't cross red lights if there is on-coming traffic. I break red light if the street is empty and no police around, just like the rest of the public. No harm done.
Now the trick to making real friends with powerful domincians is to learn to talk and think like them. I mean talk and act like a dominican. use the same vocabulary as they use. be funny and invite them to your gatherings. When I meet a powerful domincian ex: coronal, general or some politician, I act afraid of them. I look up to them and give them utmost respect. They love to see a foreigner looking up to them as someone important. They know you are smart, intelligent and respectful but when they see a foreigner act and think like a domincian, they really get a kick out of it. When I meet an important dominican friend, I hug them, shake their hand and shake their friend's hand. I invite them to my house (I know they won't come, but my invitation is enough for them). If they would come to my house, its their house, I treat them just like I treat my foreign friends. You give them a little, they will give you the world. Dominicans are very generous people. I am not talking about the domincians in POP, sosua or cabarete> Most are all trash, I mean the real dominicans who live in Cibao (santiago, moca, la vega etc etc). They are the real proud dominicans. they are the ones who will help you and not rip you off.
Just read the threads written by north coast foreigners; how they got ripped off by dominicans. These folks don't know any powerful proud dominicans. Their lives are always tough in DR, no matter how many years they live here. These foreigners are cold blooded and they trust no one. When they do mix with dominicans, they mix with trash.
Get to know real dominicans and see how easy your life becomes in DR.
AZB

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Its a crazy but wonderful world

I know that while Mr. "Green Cop" with his cowboy hat was yelling at you about 25 other drivers flew right through that very same light!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Chris said:
No, it is spelled maroon - you need to watch more tv ;)

Bugs bunny Jerryme. Can't fault you too much for not watch the cartoon channel. I don't either, (except occasionally with a dominicana) but those are "old school" cartoons. They were/are actually funny!

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
The best true dominicans are found in the Cibao. In Santo Domingo, people tend to be a bit more aggresive, and sometimes can have a "bad" attitude.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Handing out tickets for red lights here....

is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. Half the time the red light is not functional. People jump lights here all the time. I know of no traffic law that is followed by the majority.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Try stopping at a "red light" in Santiago

You will end up being beeped at, cussed at and probably smashed in the rear by a taxi that doesn't have brakes. Screw AMET....what's he going to do? Highjack a car and chase you??? Nobody will stop for him!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
DominicanScotty said:
You will end up being beeped at, cussed at and probably smashed in the rear by a taxi that doesn't have brakes. Screw AMET....what's he going to do? Highjack a car and chase you??? Nobody will stop for him!

He will get on his little radio (if anybody bought batteries that week) and tell the guy on the next corner to stop you.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
MrMike said:
He will get on his little radio (if anybody bought batteries that week) and tell the guy on the next corner to stop you.

That and 2 pesos will get him one of those thimble sized cups of coffee.