Septic tank info

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Any info or links on how septic feilds work and or what they are called would be very helpful.
I asked on my last trip and I have the general idea but with somewhat of a language barrier,it left me a little confused.

Thanks for the help in advance.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Besides the usual stuff you can find on the web concerning septic tanks....

In our area we are all on top of a rock called Calichi, or soft limestone as a geologist friend tells me. Beneath this layer there is another layer of highly porous rock called "filtrante". It is a honey comb layer of crystlized limestone (i think) and it looks pretty neat.

In our area a septic system is vertical. I hole is dug down to the filtrante layer (12 to 20 feet). The top 4 or five feet is made into a standard septic tank. The overflow tube goes down through the bottom of the tank where the remander of the hole is filled with large rocks. The water then enters the filtrante layer and leaves the hole.

Now you know why we dont drink well water around here. On the same topic, in our area, the water table is 300 to 500 feet down.

P.S.
If a dominican can correct my spelling I would appreciate it.

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
Almost all the septic tank designs are vertical here in DR. Im sure it wouldnt be allowed anywhere else in the world which require a field of finger tubes to scatter the tank waste and allow several months to reach the water table to break down the waste products. In some areas the water table is down just 35ft. Basically the septic tank overflow here just exits down the bore hole direct to the water table. It certainly has not had time to break down the bacteria and thus your neigbours sh$t could be flowing right past your house water pump pickup tube.... Think about this next time you brush your teeth:)