Dominicans giving gifts to visitors

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
On our vacations in D.R. we have noticed that Dominicans sometimes give gifts to visitors who visit them in their home. When you leave they take ornaments (adornos) from their home and give to the visitors. This has happened to us a couple of times. Is this a usual custom in D.R. and how should you respond to it?

Could someone explain what this means?

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
I cannot but i will tell you when we were in LT we needed a babysitter for a couple off mornings, we used one of the ladies that worked as a cleaner in the hotel as recommended. W e asked how much we should give her and got well whayever you like kinnda answer , we paid what we felt was fair doesn't matter what it was . She took her son out of school these 2 mornings and we opened our fridge to her told her to feed the boys and herself what ever they wanted.
The day we left her husband came with a presant for my wife which will always mean alot to her wasn't a big thing but she still looks at it amazed she recieved it . This person did what she was paid to do we still find this a very humballing act by a very fine family.

We will be back in Feb with gifts of our own.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
one of my fondest memories while traveling was 4 years ago...and i was snorkeling on my own and i met a really nice guy. He spoke no english and i got by on my bad spanish...he took me to a couple of his favorite diving spots and gave me some of his precious catch of the day. IT was a great experience. It was one of the first times that i got out of the sankie realm and started meeting the real people of the D.R. and discovered how giving people can be.

This was not a man of means...but nor was he a sank....but we just totaly bonded and spent most of the day together...talking about race issues...family...etc. Someone else would have tried to sell me what he proudly gave me that day....and i keep all those shells & coral etc proudly on my mantel....and i think fondley of my friend Daniel.

Ok...i wasnt gonna meantion this part....but i have to....it is just too cool. right before i met him I was sitting in this little lagoon...sorta contimplating how i hadnt met anyone interesting on this trip....then out of nowhere...this stunning man...came out of the woods stark nekid with his snorkle and bag of shells in one hand...and his shorts in the otra....and then we did the whole snorkeling adventure and the rest of the story. It was really something magical.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
A chicken with the legs tied and a big can full of eggs, those are some gifts I've received visiting people in the campos. Sure it was hard to explain that I really can't take the chicken (I don't eat meat) without offending anyone. I've also gotten meat, milk, plantains, fruits, cassava and assorted food. :)

When I visit my parents I come loaded with all kind of seafood from their always-loaded fridge. My parents were born in a campo, if you hadn't guessed.