Need some advice quick

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
See, there?s this waitress in Boca Chica...no, not what you?re thinking.

On my first night here I was feeling a little depressed, thinking I?d made a huge mistake by coming down here with no Spanish (no comprende, no comprende, etc.) I went to a restaurant and being on my own, brought my Spanish phrase book to browse while I ate. The waitress, Marisa, showed an interest in the book and somehow we struck up a conversation facillitated by it, she speaking almost no English. I?ve gone back each evening since and our conversations have continued. Now I?m leaving and tonight is the last time I?ll see her.

Please understand. There?s been no sex, no romance, only that she befriended me when I needed a friend. I?d like to something to show her my appreciation. The question is, should I buy her a gift (jewelry I suppose), or give her cash which I suspect she could use much more. Would cash (with a card) be insulting? I don?t want to offend her. Please reply ASAP, there are only a few hours remmaining. Will check back later. Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jewelry is too personal. Fragrance, guys never get the right one. Buy her a basket of toiletries. They are already made up and you don't need to think too hard. Chocolates are a good present to give from what I've read. It's hard to find good chocolates in DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Eat your dinner

And leave a huge tip and thank her for her "amistad"

Muchas Gracias Marisa! Tu me has ayudado mucho!

Money talks Victor, Bull **** walks.

HB :D:D

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Thank you, Anna. My shopping opportunities are limited, but I?ll do what I can. I won?t risk insulting her with cash but I will leave an overly generous tip.

AZB and Larry; thanks for the "help" guys.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
These days, I actually don't think you would insult her with cash, people are having a hard time, as you may have noticed. But if it feels better to you to do it via the tip, go ahead. And buy her a 'thank you' card also, & maybe a bunch of nice flowers? Although you can't really hide them, walking in! For choice, I'd say put money inside the thank you card with her name on it. Just in case there is more than one waitress & they have to pool tips.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nothing wrong!

Listen, there's nothing wrong with you giving her a bouquet of flowers with a card. Tell her that she is NOT to open the card until you have left, put some money on the card and write to her that it was not a charity but a tip for her friendliness and services at the restaurant. No matter what, she needs the money more than anything else.

Trust me, when/if you go back, she will remember you.

BTW, nothing wrong with asking for her phone number too!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
miguel said:
Listen, there's nothing wrong with you giving her a bouquet of flowers with a card. Tell her that she is NOT to open the card until you have left, put some money on the card and write to her that it was not a charity but a tip for her friendliness and services at the restaurant. No matter what, she needs the money more than anything else.

Trust me, when/if you go back, she will remember you.

BTW, nothing wrong with asking for her phone number too!
Flowers???? Flowers???? she needs no stinking flowers, just give her a hefty tip and a thankyou. She can use the money you will spend on flowers. If you must give her something, give her chocolates instead of flowers. Girls always enjoy expensive chocolates over flowers.
AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why Do You Feel The Need To Give Her ANYTHING????

Other than a nice "tip" for good service?She was friendly,great!Do you "pay" people who are friendly to you where you live? It is condescending to do it here,if you don't do it there!You just make her into nothing more than a charity case.How would you feel if someone you met in the course of your job,treated them as a "friend",and they gave you $10.00 as they left your office?? The whole idea is rediculous,and widespread amoung tourists everywhere!CCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Criss Colon said:
Other than a nice "tip" for good service?She was friendly,great!Do you "pay" people who are friendly to you where you live? It is condescending to do it here,if you don't do it there!You just make her into nothing more than a charity case.How would you feel if someone you met in the course of your job,treated them as a "friend",and they gave you $10.00 as they left your office?? The whole idea is rediculous,and widespread amoung tourists everywhere!CCCCCCCCCCC
Now why didn't I think of it like that?
I agree with CC 100%.
AZB