chicken fight

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
On a recent trip to sabaneta at the local chicken fight, I could not help but notice the use of a wall clock to time the fights. I do not know exactly what rules they follow in the DR, but would be interested in finding out if any readers know. Also there was no drag pit, very peculiar.

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
Pib said:
You mean cock fight, right?

Chicken don't fight. They're too chicken. :nervous:
yeah, cock fights ... in Ohio (and other states) they have a drag pit where they take the worn down cocks and let 'em fight it out. From what I noticed, the rules were different in the DR.

Last edited:

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Buck69 said:
On a recent trip to sabaneta at the local chicken fight, I could not help but notice the use of a wall clock to time the fights. I do not know exactly what rules they follow in the DR, but would be interested in finding out if any readers know. Also there was no drag pit, very peculiar.

Where are coming from? Mars?

The wall clock belongs to the loco lawyer who is keeping a time sheet
to bill the party who is suing for wrongfull death.

Is the ozone layer depleted in your country? Or is this another teenager
stupid movie-question?

Sep 20, 2003
Tomgallo, perhaps I'm the only one who notices this, but who on earth put the huge chip on your shoulder?

Is there any aspect of living in the DR that does not enrage you?

Last edited:

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
joel pacheco said:
Tomgallo, perhaps I'm the only one who notices this, but who on earth put the huge chip on your shoulder?

Is there any aspect of living in the DR that does not enrage you?

1st, I do not live in the DR.
2nd, If you read my postings; I am only enraged with the ones bashing the Dominicans and Dominican culture. They do enrage me. :bandit:
No one put a chip on my shoulder because I am free of the "superiority" or "inferiority" complex by staying very competitive in my profession and business vs the ones born in my adoptive country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cockfights

While cockfights are deemed to be barbarous by many outside the culture, you must remember that they are a substitute for war.

The alternatives are not pleasant.

that clock on the wall is to time the fights, although in the more upper class "coliseos" there are electronic timers and digital weighing tables.

This is the only activity that is more widely spread than baseball..

HB:D:D

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Escott said:
I am still getting over being invited to leave the country if I didn't like things here...

This sentence has being (TM) in Canada and USA. That is what everyone tells an immigrant; specially a visible minority.

Mephs

Sep 11, 2003
Here's an answer

The fights last 15 minutes. Most times than not I've seen the judge with a stopwatch (sometimes two, more on that later) to do the official timing. The clock on the wall might be used for timing the bets prior to the fight, since according to the rules the judge may only give up to 2 minutes before the fight starts to place bets.

Here are the rules I know:

1) The judge may cancel the fight and call it no contest if any of the following conditions occur:
  • a rooster seems scared or refuses to fight when tested prior to the fight start
  • a rooster flees during the first minute of the fight
  • a rooster looses both spurs during the first minute of the fight
2) A bird will loose the fight if any of the following occur:
  • the rooster dies
  • the rooster flees and refuses to fight
  • the rooster is not standing on its two legs for more than a minute
If a rooster flees, the judge will grab both birds and set them back down at the center of the pit. He will repeat this until the bird runs away for the third time, and at that time he will stop the fight. For the minute count, I've usually seen the judge use a second stopwatch and not use the wall clock.

3) A fight will be called a draw if any of the following occur:
  • both roosters are not standing on their two legs or stop fighting for over a minute (usually happens when both birds are blinded)
  • the fight goes on for 15 minutes without a winner

Hope this helps!

Carlos