Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Am I the only one

Who is scared to fly around here...other then me? I'm leaving next Friday and the anxiety is killing me. I've been dreading the flight for the past two weeks, and gravol's don't do it for me anymore.

Please share some positive feedback.....cause I sure need it
    gracias!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not sure if it helps but....

Quote Originally Posted by cbello
    Who is scared to fly around here...other then me? I'm leaving next Friday and the anxiety is killing me. I've been dreading the flight for the past two weeks, and gravol's don't do it for me anymore.

gracias!
    I can repeat to you what I'm sure you've heard many times. Commercial airlines are the safest form of travel you can take. Your chances are much greater of being killed or injured in your car between now and your trip! Just think of what (or who?) is waiting for you on your arrival.

What's a gravol?

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

What cbello is experiencing is a phobia, and no amount of rationalization will help. Phobias are irrational fears, and fear of phobia is called aviatophobia. All phobias are classified as psychological disorders. Personally, I had a bad bout of flying phobia a few years ago, and nstead of seeking professional help I automedicated myself before entering the airplane to control anxiety. One day, quite spontaneously, I realized that the phobia was gone, and from then on, I don't have to medicate myself before flying and actually, now I quite enjoy flying.

Mirador

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdbt
    What's a gravol?
    Gravol is the brand name of an OTC (Over The Counter) motion sickness medicine which has a nice side effect of making an anxious traveller quite drowsy.

Gregg

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy
    Gravol is the brand name of an OTC (Over The Counter) motion sickness medicine which has a nice side effect of making an anxious traveller quite drowsy.

Gregg
    One of those, one scotch and no more fear!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

gracias!
    Sorry the gravols aren't helping anymore. There do seem to be several online sites that deal specifically with helping people deal with their fear of flying. You might try one or two of them to see if they have anything to offer you in way of relief.

I can pass along something that I heard last week from a MD on tv who advises his patients with serious fear of flying issues to avoid alcohol prior to flight. Apparently, instead of relaxing the person, the alcohol tends to exacerbate their feelings of dread thereby making their flight that much worse.

On a lighter note, compared to the list of phobias found at: http://www.phobialist.com, the fear of flying seems to be one of the more reasonable "irrational" fears (if such a thing can be said at all, ).

good luck to you in your travels.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You are not alone !!!

Hello CBello !
    As a nervous flyer myself, I suggest you a interesting site about this common phobia. It's so normal to be affraid about something you don't know about. Before my departure in december, i am gonna print these pages (site) and I am going to read this on board.

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/airfacts.htm
    _________

I am also a regular reader of some forums about the fear of flying and I see that I am not alone. You can reach one of this forum at >
    http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/vi...6ba4eaeb3021f3

Anyway we are all gonna die on day... Were only human afterall !!!
    Enjoy your flight !!!!

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/airfacts.htmhttp://www.airdisaster.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=18a34024dea195f15f6ba4eaeb3021f3

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

If you suffer from phobia then why not get a real scare when flying. here is what you do: when the plane takes off at rolling speed, just peek out the window and see the earth being left below, far far away. This way the trip will be totally unforgetful.
    One person's fear is another person's joyride. i love flying planes, its half the fun of the trip. On my next long trip, i will be on 11 different planes, hopping from one place to another in one month alone. If they add a few more stops, i would love it even more. take-offs and landings are the most fun. the ride becomes totally boring when you are at cruising altitude. I even love airplane food, i wish they had a restaurant which served airplane style food in tiny little dishes. This 8th of december, i will be flying in the new Boeing 777 to london. Just can't wait to see this plane from inside and experience the flying.
    I love airplanes, for that reason alone, i would fly anywhere, even if they send me to iraq.
    AZB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

gracias!
    Why do you allow yourself to suffer from this ridiculous phobia? The only way to cure it is to just get on the damn plane and go. Face down your fears. If the plane crashes then it crashes. We all have to die sometime. You have a better chance being struck by lightning.

Larry

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB
    just peek out the window and see the earth being left below, far far away....One person's fear is another person's joyride. i love flying planes..... I even love airplane food, i wish they had a restaurant which served airplane style food in tiny little dishes. AZB
    the one thing that bothers me most about flying is when i can't get a window seat. and then have to sit next to the bone head who requested it who pulls the shade down and sleeps the whole 4 hour trip to RD. me, i will have my nose to the window the whole trip, day or night, watching the earth below me or patiently waiting for the clouds to disappear.

the food i always pass on, but i love those tiny little bottles of rum they serve.

mob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast