Special needs

travelbest

Nov 8, 2004
I have a very high functioning 17yr old. He is dx'd HF in the autisim spectrum disorder feild. We are coming down for Christmas and I am wonder how strict the staff is about serving minors booze?

Please don't be nasty as I am only looking for information on how much freedom I can allow him without hurting him.

He is a good kid and has managed to mainstream himself in school, he's heavily involved in acting, drama and comedy(tho a very weird sense of humor)

Any helpful info would be welcome.
Thanks
Shelly

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
travelbest said:
I have a very high functioning 17yr old. He is dx'd HF in the autisim spectrum disorder feild. We are coming down for Christmas and I am wonder how strict the staff is about serving minors booze?

Please don't be nasty as I am only looking for information on how much freedom I can allow him without hurting him.

He is a good kid and has managed to mainstream himself in school, he's heavily involved in acting, drama and comedy(tho a very weird sense of humor)

Thanks
Shelly

Wow, I AM surprised at Badpieces comment as I would have thought the bar staff would have given in to your son's requests. I bow to his greater experience of being in the hotels however as I only visit as an occassional guest! Have a word with the bar staff if you have any worries about the possibilties of excess & I am sure you will find them most cooperative.

Might be a good idea to introduce him to the Activities staff (I believe they are called "Animation Staff" these days) where he might get involved in some of their shows!! Good luck & have a great (stress free) holiday!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Don't, however, let him go away from the hotel with Animation Staff unless you are present. They might not fully comprehend the nature of autism. I am sure they would not be unkind, but it could be risky.......girls, booze, you name it!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
What travelbest left out

is that her son, at 17, is 6'4' and IMHO if he asks to be served - he will be!!

Gregg

(It was posted with that info on another board).

P.S. - Shelly - No "nastiness" intended but you should have included this small piece of info here also.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Methinks that

Talking to the staff and getting his attention focused towards the Amimation Team might be the better road.

If you want to keep the lad (Lad? at 6'4" he will be recruited by all the local basquetball teams!!) booze free, you need to talk to the management and staff. They will accomodate you.

HB :D:D

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
travelbest said:

Thanks
Shelly

There are many good points are made already to your inquiry. I know exactly how you feel worried about your son, as I have an autistic niece, who is only 9 , but stronger and taller than me at 40 something:)))

In any case, the first suggestion would be , as a travel agent that dealt with this situation before for otheres, is to let the staff know and even though he is old enough and tall , please make sure that you introduce him to everyone and also make sure, that he does have the children's bracelet one, that was a very good point. I would not let him really wonder off, as Dominicans are not very well aware what autism is. No offence, but not even many North Americans are aware of it, as I have gotten many times looks from people, like can't you just make her behave???

I do feel for you and I know it is a hard decision and may be the AI wasn't the best idea, but since you are already going, just take some measures once you get there and may be a small tip to the regular staff at the bar and restaurant discretly ( even though , they say it's not allowed) will help out greatly .

Best of luck and have a great time!