Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry I hope this is just an isolated incidence :(

I hope these stupid robbers realize they are jeopardizing the bread-and-butter of DR's economy. Crimes like this will only give ammunition for AI owners to warn their guests not to leave the resorts.

-----------------------------
    Asaltan autobús repleto de turistas
    Tres sujetos penetraron al vehículo y cargaron con las pertenencias de los pasajeros
    Por Petra Saviñon / elcaribecdn.com
    Viernes 26 de noviembre del 2004 actualizado a las 10:44 PM

http://elcaribe.com.do/articulo_mult...A15&Seccion=63

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus, public acknowedgement of reimbursing of money to tourists, will also make robbers think.......oh, they get it back, we can do it again.......that's if they thought about those niceties in the first place. Maybe it is ladrones way of recouping all that previous government stole from them?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Crimes are a function of economic standing. In my metropolis (Boston), crimes generally went down during the roaring 90's, but started to increase after the 2001 recession.
    On another note, it disappoints me when the educated people of this forum fail to see that the Fernandez administration is delivering body blows to the lower and middle Dominican classes. Must you wait until it is too late to realize this?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the current admin doing that is directly affecting the middle and lower classes?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really serious. Tourism is a very sensible industry and it has taken the DR many many years to clean up its image.

Nobody (not even an AI hotel owner) will benefit from news of this kind... By the way, AI hotels benefit from guests leaving the property.

This is bad news to anybody in the tourist industry and my hope is that they catch these thieves and set a strong example with hard punishment.

I hope as well that it's an isolated incident.

YY
    Last edited by Yan-Yan; 11-27-2004 at 01:13 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mondongo
    Crimes are a function of economic standing. In my metropolis (Boston), crimes generally went down during the roaring 90's, but started to increase after the 2001 recession.
    On another note, it disappoints me when the educated people of this forum fail to see that the Fernandez administration is delivering body blows to the lower and middle Dominican classes. Must you wait until it is too late to realize this?

how much is the pph paying you? you're always bad-mouthing the new administration and twisting threads from original subject matter to your rant. give it a break. they've been in office 4 months. certainly not worse than it was a year ago and most certainly there is money and jobs starting to trickle down with the return of investement - but that's not for this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default There was a lot of debate whether to

Publish this news or not on DR1. The basic argument was thatDR1 had a responsibility to give out all of the news-good and bad- and that it would be much worse for the readers to hear about this in the Washington Post or the New York Post, or the Chicago Tribune.

I was extremely upset with this news and even moreso because I have not seen or heard of any really intense action on the part of the Police or the Armed Forces.

If these people had UZIs, the armed forces should go after them. And kill them.

Without a rapid and totally transparant resolution to this crime we definately run the risk of losing out to other destinations. Jamaica lost a bundle when violence became associated with tourism. Are we next?

I sent editorial comments to every editor I know and I hope that you readers do to. Solve this case or else!

HB ((

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly
    Publish this news or not on DR1. The basic argument was thatDR1 had a responsibility to give out all of the news-good and bad- and that it would be much worse for the readers to hear about this in the Washington Post or the New York Post, or the Chicago Tribune.HB ((
    There is no way that publication of something like this can be at issue. I really do hope that there is some strong action - I can only think of the bad publicity in other places, Jamaica and remember a few years ago when travellers in Florida in rental cars were ripped off. Possibly the tour operators will also take some action.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened?

Is there an english version?

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Gunmen besiege busload of tourists
    Two hooded gunmen boarded a bus carrying US tourists along the highway that leads to Villa Elisa in Puerto Plata last Tuesday, reports the Listin Diario. The masked men unhanded the travelers of their money, jewelry, cameras and other valuables, making off with thousands of pesos worth of cash and goods.
    After forcing the driver to stop the vehicle, the two climbed aboard the bus brandishing Uzi weapons which they pointed at the tourists. According to the owner of El Paraiso Tours, Gunter Manni, once the thieves had robbed all the passengers, they got off the bus and fled into the nearby mountains. The German entrepreneur informed that the tourists were making their way back from Cayo Arena to their hotels aboard a Prieto Tours vehicle when they fell victim to the bandits, whose whereabouts and identities remain unknown. Manni also blamed this type of crime on a lack of safety measures in the Punta Rucia area, especially given the large number of vacationers who wish to visit the remote North Coast scenic attraction. Manni revealed the details of the incident at a reception held by the German embassy Tuesday night at the Iberostar Costa Dora Hotel, a function that was attended by German Ambassador Karl Kohler.
    Manni stated that this was the first time in the six years of his company's operation that tourists had been assailed in the region. He demanded that the Ministry of Tourism and the National Police assign Politur agents to the area to avoid any similar incidents.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast