Free Entry During December

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Does anyone know if Customs at the Airports are waiving inport taxes on TV's et during the Xmas season?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you are Dominican there is a $1000 waiver annually for Christmas. Tourists, no, you still have to smuggle, bribe or pay taxes. The specific dates, amounts, and the eligibility (not sure if it is Dominican citizen residents or also non-residents but Dominican citizens) are printed on the customs form they give you on the plane (not the tourist card).

Hawk7877

Oct 11, 2004
Import tax on TVs...hmm, is there one on Microwaves

Where is there a listing of what a "Tourist" can take into the DR without imposing any kind of custom fees?

Hawk

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hawk7877 said:
Where is there a listing of what a "Tourist" can take into the DR without imposing any kind of custom fees?

Hawk

I have never seen or heard of one. This is not like going through USA or European customs that has easily calculated and well defined duties.

All depends on how the customs officer is feeling and what you can haggle your way out of.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
ricktoronto said:
If you are Dominican there is a $1000 waiver annually for Christmas. Tourists, no, you still have to smuggle, bribe or pay taxes. The specific dates, amounts, and the eligibility (not sure if it is Dominican citizen residents or also non-residents but Dominican citizens) are printed on the customs form they give you on the plane (not the tourist card).

This was increased to US$1,500 this year.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Hawk7877 said:

Hawk

Like any country they generally say a portable PC, camera, personal effects and a small amount of liquor, cigarettes are allowed in with tourists, and anything obviously not to be used for tourist purposes, like a microwave or TV is not likely to pass muster with customs, especially in the original box, etc.

This is where the baksheesh tends to come in - how much of a gift to the customs guy) is worth paying to avoid the payment of the actual duty and taxes on stuff? A typical tourist with typical luggage probably isn't even going to be looked at - though if you let them they X-ray your luggage so a TV might be obvious in a suitcase, and thus comes the haggling.

I haven't been since Labor Day ( and until the peso stabilizes and costs come down, I am not likely to either) but I would bring down clothing and cosmetics and small gifts and while I don't usually submit to customs inspections at all, if I did I think the contents would not look too suspicious.

One Xmas trip I put small chocolates on the top of the suitcase (Dolores' idea IIRC) and when the lid was opened I said they were Canadian specialty chocolates (cost=99 cents a box) and "Feliz Navidad" , take one, it's Christmas etc. That's as far as the inspection went, handshakes all around and out I went.

One trip the green jacketed guy just took my carry-on and hefted it up and down, judged it too light , I guess to have anything bribe-worthy, and waved me on. While I had some PC parts for someone in the rollaboard suitcase.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Conchman said:
The waiver has been increased to $1,500.00

As Dolores pointed out. Not for tourists though, and I am still unsure if it is retruning residents or any Dominican citizens or both.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In the past, the exemption has applied to Dominicans who live abroad that have not traveled to the DR in the past six months. The Customs agent are broad about who is Dominican. Even if the person has a US passport and "does not look Dominican", the person will be considered Dominican if can speak Spanish and explains that the gift is for a relative.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
DR1 Answer Today

Today's DR1 article referenced the $1500 exemption. Glad to see the extra $500.

ricktoronto said:
As Dolores pointed out. Not for tourists though, and I am still unsure if it is retruning residents or any Dominican citizens or both.

Drpeppers

Dec 5, 2004
Christmas, customs, and boxes???

What date does waiver for Christmas begin? What about computers and microwave in original boxes. Planning to go December 12 and have these things for gifts. BTW...my wife is Dominican...will this qualify as a waiver??? Thanks for any response...Dr P