Generator for household in Santiago MTS

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Hello,
This is my first time to enter this site. If a person has a house in the mtns above Santiago and needs electricity regularly for a house and refrigerator, what type of generator with solar panels would they need? Should they have someone buy in the US and send?
Teacher ;)

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
PM MRMIKE and inverter? How can I contact him?

Thank you and How do I contact PM MRMIKE
Teacher

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Teacher said:
Thank you and How do I contact PM MRMIKE
Teacher

PM stands for private message, a feature of this board. use the search feature to find posts by MrMike, then click on his username to get a list of options which will include sending a PM.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you need solar power

I presume you do not have electricity?

If you have electricity, call Mike at 581 8431, ask for Mike...He'll take care of you at the best price in the local market.

If you want to go with Dominican Technology, send a PM to AZB and ask him about his Dominican-made power inverter...

There, you have two options...

HB :D:D

Oh yea, if you don't have electricity at all and need solar power, click on my name and send me an email or a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Thank you so much for the information. I believe they do have electricity but only for a small portion of the day. Can you run inverters using solar power? Sorry I am sounding so ignorant of all of this. Trying to find our more for a family member there.
Teacher :

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course

Power inverters can change any source of electricity into 110 v. current for household use: Solar cells, wind generators,, or infrequent electricity from the grid can be stored in batteries for use.

This is what most of us here have learned to live with. Not many have solar cells, but most have either a generator on standby or get enough electricity to charge their batteries. You can do a search on this, on this site and you will find mountains of answers..

HB :D

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Thank you for the info Hillbilly. So power inverters: are they large? Expensive? So, Do I understand that you take the electricity they may have in their house for say 3 hours a day and then build up batteries that are in the inverter and then plug into the inverter? Just trying to picture this having always had electricity here 24/7 in Missouri? Would power inverter keep a refrigerator running?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Teacher said:
Thank you for the info Hillbilly. So power inverters: are they large? Expensive? So, Do I understand that you take the electricity they may have in their house for say 3 hours a day and then build up batteries that are in the inverter and then plug into the inverter? Just trying to picture this having always had electricity here 24/7 in Missouri? Would power inverter keep a refrigerator running?

You have th basic concept. The batteries are seperate, and are generally standard lead-acid car batteries. The inverter itself is fairly compact. Inverter systems are the least expensive way to maintain electric service during outages. However, if you were only getting 3 hours of power a day, you would not be able to run off the batteries the other 21 hours. I believe the electricity situation is a bit better than that now, at least in most locations. If your system has adequate capacity, you could run the fridge.

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Thank You. You said the inverters are compact. So are the number of batteries determined by the size of the inverter? Are there "best" reliable types of inverters? Would you have a general idea about a price?
Any idea about how much regular electricity would be needed to run the inverter the other hours of the day? They are 45 minutes up the mtn from Santiago so Electricity must be very limited so I hear.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Teacher said:
Thank You. You said the inverters are compact. So are the number of batteries determined by the size of the inverter? Are there "best" reliable types of inverters? Would you have a general idea about a price?
Any idea about how much regular electricity would be needed to run the inverter the other hours of the day? They are 45 minutes up the mtn from Santiago so Electricity must be very limited so I hear.

For inverters and battery banks it is best to go to someone like MrMike and let him work out for you the size of invertor needed, and the number of batteries needed in terms of what you would like to power up.

In fact, not 'somelike like MrMike', just go to Mike and let him work it out for you. You won't get better in the DR. Mike is the "best reliable type" ;)