Hotel Availability in Sosua/Cabarete in Dec

Majost

Nov 12, 2004
Hi. I'm planning on Arriving in Sosua or Cabarete on Saturday the 11th, and was wondering if I need to book a hostel/guesthouse/casa de huespedes now, or if there will be rooms available in December. I've read that typically Sosua has empty rooms (hence the lower rates).

I'm typically not one to plan ahead, so even asking this question is way out of character. :D

Previously, I've never had any trouble finding a bed to sleep on in the DR, but since I'm planning on a high tourist area in high season, I thought it might be different. Any reads?

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The 11th of December is not high season.

A taxi driver told me yesterday that it is slow in Sosua. He doesn't expect much of an improvement until about Christmas.

Hi Matt

Glad to see we're not the only ones who don't plan ahead. As you have gone to the trouble of posting though, we just thought we'd mention that we launched or free info site recently that we have been working on (My sister and I are Dominicans and it has been our way of doing our bit for DR the last few months).

I don't know if you have been to Sosua or Cabarete but we do include some info on our site (though we've still much to add), take a look if you get a moment, we like both Sosua and Cabarete and glad to hear you're on your way there, it's at:

"www.visiting-the-dominican-republic.com" on this page:-

http://www.visiting-the-dominican-republic.com/dominican-republic-beaches.html

The resorts info is linked at the bottom of the page. We reckon, as you are no doubt aware, that Sosua is a nice 'general/family' resort and hope that trade picks up for them. Cabarete, of course, is the windsurf/kiteboard - ing Capital of DR (Caribbean?) (...and a great drag strip for moto cycle speed freaks.)

If you do decide to 'plan ahead' a bit more than usual, do drop us a line, we have a couple of useful sources for accommodation info. But if you decide to take pot-luck we agree that there seems to be availability at the moment.

Have a good trip Matt,

Kind regards

Ruth