Padrino

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I think you have to give them expensive gifts at their birthday for the rest of their lives and pay for the Christening.

Mongoose

Jan 30, 2004
Madrina

Hi I became godmother to a young boy who was abandoned at the charity i was working for, I was expected to attend two classes of about an hour eachwith the priest. I am not expected to give expensive gifts but do give presents for his birthday and christmas. He also attends a special needs school and i help to buy some of the items with his god father on the list that he needs to enrol each september.

Other than the expectations put on godparents in any country i dont see any real difference, obviously religion here is often considered more important however due to my god sons conitive problems i do not really have to stress this importance to him, i took him to mass once a week and just generally help love and care for him. It was a great honour to be asked so just be proud that you were chosen and enjoy it the ceremony is not really any different unfortunately because of the home he came from and the view of 'crazy' people ie.people with disabilities in our area we were not allowed to have him baptised in the ceremony with the other children because of the suposed scene it would have caused but had it seperately either way it was a lovely day.

Enjoy and congratulations

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Thank You

I appreciate your responses. I was told that in the past more was required of a godparent en la Republica Dominicana. Closer to what you said Jane but that the tradition is not taken as seriously as it once was.

God bless you,

JD

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
No big Deal

I have been a Padrino for a year and a half. No classes, nothing. It seems to be the same as the U.S. Merely a formality for catholic people. The christening was done at my friend's home. I have only purchased the 1st year birthday cake.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
I was asked to present my "certificado de bautismo"... Meaning that I had to be baptized catholic to be a godmother in the catholic church...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There are some classess and the need of presenting proof of being Catholic in the first place.

In the old days the bond between parents and godparents was considered more sacred than that between siblings. A child had to treat godparents with as much respect - if not more - than he did his own parents. Also godparents were supposed to take the child under their wing should the parents die.

The tradition was to choose either someone that was very close to the parents, someone highly respected in their community, or someone rich (and probably respected too). That would give the child a headstart later in life should they need recommendations, or even a job (that's how Trujillo ended up being the godfather of countless kids here).

Obviously things have changed. Right now it's a bit more than a formality and gifts, no necessarily luxurious, are expected at Christmas.