Better news for Brits

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Sterling has kept it's tail in the air and has waltzed through the 1.90 to the dollar wall. My guess is that without some spectacular news from either side of "the pond" it is likely to stay there for a while yet.

This means that Brits with sterling are roughly 10% better off than they would be if the dollar was still trading at 1.75'ish. - It's cold comfort but it makes me feel quite a lot better!

- Trouble is of course "What goes up must come down"

Told you Scott ;) ;)

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Stop crowing Simon

..... So now all those US$200K houses are suddenly only worth 105K in sterling? That will entice the bucket and spade brigade and the lager louts down here after their holiday house hunting sprees!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Simon & Nicky said:
Sterling has kept it's tail in the air and has waltzed through the 1.90 to the dollar wall. My guess is that without some spectacular news from either side of "the pond" it is likely to stay there for a while yet.

This means that Brits with sterling are roughly 10% better off than they would be if the dollar was still trading at 1.75'ish. - It's cold comfort but it makes me feel quite a lot better!

- Trouble is of course "What goes up must come down"

Told you Scott ;) ;)
But has it risen against the Peso in the last 2.5 months? The US is still shoving it down the French and Germans in my opinion and this means nothing to the US economy and may even be positive.

Congrats to the British for not going with the Euro!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Escott said:
But has it risen against the Peso in the last 2.5 months? The US is still shoving it down the French and Germans in my opinion and this means nothing to the US economy and may even be positive.

Last time I checked (yesterday in fact)the euro wasn't doing too badly either!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
You are talking about to the US dollar which I believe is becoming cheaper to all of Europe on purpose. Sterling is doing better than the Euro.

You gotta love the Americans... the currency is not devaluing against other major currencies, it's 'becoming cheaper on purpose'. Talk about a spin! I'll stop now... no Dominican content... ;)

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Escott said:

What good will it do it for the rest of us mortals? The Brits are well known to be cheapskates, very tight with their money. A recent survey ranked the brits as the worst spenders. We may see the Brits spending a bit more (0.5%) when the pound reaches 10 to 1USD.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Oooooh Errrr!

I'll keep my bucket and spade hidden for the time being then - I Never thought of that Peter! Good point.

What's this about us being tight? - Obviously never met a Scotsman.

Simon

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chris said:
You gotta love the Americans... the currency is not devaluing against other major currencies, it's 'becoming cheaper on purpose'. Talk about a spin! I'll stop now... no Dominican content... ;)
You are probably the only one that hasn't read 10 articles about this on the internet. You need to get out more often or maybe just read the news.

This has NOTHING to do with the DR Peso getting stronger against ALL major currencies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
You are probably the only one that hasn't read 10 articles about this on the internet. You need to get out more often or maybe just read the news.

This has NOTHING to do with the DR Peso getting stronger against ALL major currencies.

Oh, I really do know about this. Strong Dominican content is that my other business in Pisano pays Sterling for our products and we receive dollars. So, getting out more won't help (sorry about not getting to the Thanksgiving thing...), reading the news makes me a little more morose as we're having to take a little dip in profitability - but, I still think it's only the Americans that can spin it like you did... ;) Anyway, it is not so bad. I had a little forward cover for the next shipment or two. Here's to hoping that whoever is 'making it cheaper on purpose' will change their minds soon. I like the dollar to be high against other major currencies... (Sorry to all the Brits who are making out like bandits... talk about a physchological barrier!) The Peso, well I think Leonel has done some magic and it will possibly go just above 30 in the new year and stay there for a while. Why? I don't understand it... it must be magic! Don't go to the bank on my peso predictions - I've been wrong twice in the past year.