Mamjuana Recipe

victoria6368

Nov 30, 2004
Hi I just got back from a 6 day 5 night stay in Juan Dolo, It was wonderful and both my boyfriend and I loved it. I had Mamjuana for the first time and loved it. I purchased a bottle that is already to be used. But I would love for some one to give me the recipe, I know I need to add rum, red wine, and honey but I want to know how much of each.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
victoria6368 said:
Hi I just got back from a 6 day 5 night stay in Juan Dolo, It was wonderful and both my boyfriend and I loved it. I had Mamjuana for the first time and loved it. I purchased a bottle that is already to be used. But I would love for some one to give me the recipe, I know I need to add rum, red wine, and honey but I want to know how much of each.

http://dominicancooking.com will answer your question.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
victoria6368 said:

IT IS MAMAJUANA?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Who knows where it went?

Pib said:
http://dominicancooking.com/archives/articles/15.htm

There's a search button at the top of all pages. I think I should convince Jane to write a more extensive follow up. ;)
Here it is again.
MAMAJUANA

1) The reason that mamajuana tastes bitter the first time you make it is because the wood, leaves and spices inside are too new.(green)

2) Generally, one would put cheap gin in the bottle for approx. 6 weeks to get the bitter out, then pour it out and make your first mix. Often times, the first batch is a bit bitter anyhow, and you should consider getting it out of the bottle into another bottle so as to stop the process. The second batch will be smoother, and so on. As time goes on, the longer you leave it in the bottle, the smoother it gets. I have run into some stubborn bottles that took as much as 3 months to "cure".

3) The mix.... Approx. 90% dark rhum, 8% honey, 2% cheap red wine and some people add a couple of secret ingredients. (small box of raisins is good)

4) There is no set rule about how sweet you make it. The best thing to do is make up 3/4 of the bottle, shake well, and adjust it to taste. It will taste more or less the same when fermented-aged as when you first make it. The difference is that it will be a whole heck of a lot smoother.

5) The bottles seem to last forever, and just get better and better. I don't think there is any limit as to how long they last. As time goes on, you will find that the mix ages very quickly. My bottles age the mix overnight.

Enjoy, Marco.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
Here it is again.
MAMAJUANA

1) The reason that mamajuana tastes bitter the first time you make it is because the wood, leaves and spices inside are too new.(green)

2) Generally, one would put cheap gin in the bottle for approx. 6 weeks to get the bitter out, then pour it out and make your first mix. Often times, the first batch is a bit bitter anyhow, and you should consider getting it out of the bottle into another bottle so as to stop the process. The second batch will be smoother, and so on. As time goes on, the longer you leave it in the bottle, the smoother it gets. I have run into some stubborn bottles that took as much as 3 months to "cure".

3) The mix.... Approx. 90% dark rhum, 8% honey, 2% cheap red wine and some people add a couple of secret ingredients. (small box of raisins is good)

4) There is no set rule about how sweet you make it. The best thing to do is make up 3/4 of the bottle, shake well, and adjust it to taste. It will taste more or less the same when fermented-aged as when you first make it. The difference is that it will be a whole heck of a lot smoother.

5) The bottles seem to last forever, and just get better and better. I don't think there is any limit as to how long they last. As time goes on, you will find that the mix ages very quickly. My bottles age the mix overnight.

Enjoy, Marco.
Haha, age the mix overnight? Thats a riot. You "should" age it for minimum of 3 months. Longer is better.

I would share my recipe with you all but I would have to kill you after and you probably wouldnt like that.

I have about 10 bottles that are 3-4 months old still in the closet. I don't use raisins

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Escott said:
Haha, age the mix overnight? Thats a riot. You "should" age it for minimum of 3 months. Longer is better.

I would share my recipe with you all but I would have to kill you after and you probably wouldnt like that.

I have about 10 bottles that are 3-4 months old still in the closet. I don't use raisins

hmmm..interesting thread....how long can i use my bottle of MJ (with all the wood etc) ? the stuff that i have has been sitting for quite a long time....i suppose i can dilute it? but then can i use it again?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Fast aging.

Escott said:

Sorry dude, but if you have really old bottles like we have, it DOES age and smooth out overnight.
Left for 3 months, it would be smoother, as long as your bottles are well used and it doesn't go bitter on you, as the newer fresher bottles usually do.
The whole concept of aging in wooden casks is amplified and speeded up, by way of the proportion of liquid to wood, in a mamajuana bottle.
The area of contact of the liquid in a large oak cask, for instance, is far less than in a mamajuana bottle, thus it ages faster.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
Sorry dude, but if you have really old bottles like we have, it DOES age and smooth out overnight.
Left for 3 months, it would be smoother, as long as your bottles are well used and it doesn't go bitter on you, as the newer fresher bottles usually do.
The whole concept of aging in wooden casks is amplified and speeded up, by way of the proportion of liquid to wood, in a mamajuana bottle.
The area of contact of the liquid in a large oak cask, for instance, is far less than in a mamajuana bottle, thus it ages faster.
Anytime you ferment alchohol the more time you take the better it is. I know your bottle is better than mine and probably bigger than mine, Siempre, however your stuff would taste better with age also. That is just the way it is. 45 year old Scotch is better than 12 year old Scotch even if you use the same barrel.

Regards