Best mobile coverage in Sosua?

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
What's the best company to go for a mobile plan?
I heard Orange is good and Verizon, not that bad.
Centenial just does not seem to work

thks
supa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Orange or Verizon. Orange is cheaper. In the building I live in, I must go on the balcony to use my Orange phone. A neighbor with Verizon can call from inside his apartment.

But I'm happy with the price and service of Orange.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
I've heard that some people have a poor signal with Orange inside their home. Mine is normally low inside, but consistantly works fine. Orange is cheaper and is GSM which I prefer.

I've heard Verizon has better service out of the cities, this might be nice if you travel a lot within the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thebes said:
I've heard Verizon has better service out of the cities, this might be nice if you travel a lot within the DR.

Depends on where you go. My travels are generally outside of the Sosua/Cabarete area are generally to Santiago, Santo Domingo and Samana. I get good service with Orange in these areas.

Both Orange and Verizon have maps on the websites showing coverage areas in the DR. I'll try to find them and post the links if somebody doesn't do it first.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My experience

I have traveled a lot with 2 people who have Centenial which is a joke but for some reason is cheaper to call overseas.

I have Verizon and Orange. Verizon works way better than Orange and like Ken I wasn't able to use the Orange inside but only on my balcony. Sucked to be running out of the house to make or receive calls.

Verizon #1
Orange #2
Centenial # 492

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hehehe... Centennial is pretty poor in and around Sosua/Cabarete.
I only use it, as it annoys the life out of Scott when it beeps looking for a signal. Kind of strange, as Centennial use Verizon towers and some of their infrastructure.

I hear Orange and Verizon are killing each other trying to install more antenna locations. This is because a new "large" player is expected to enter the market in 2005. I have no idea who it is, but I'm trying to find out.