Traveling with Cat

nugirlnyc

Nov 1, 2004
Hello you guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any information about flying with a cat to Santo Domingo? I already spoke to AA and they were helpful when it came to what I need to pay for his ticket and what kind of carrrier he will need, but they had no information on what will happen once I arrive in D.R. Please help!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"Customs will confiscate and then eat him."

:nervous: Major LOL! Sorry nugirlnyc, but good one richtoronto. Now can anybody help with this info?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
ricktoronto said:
Customs will confiscate and then eat him.

Rick, this is the first time I have ever read anything funny by you. Usually you are just an obnoxious ***.

PS, I am sorry Rick but did I spell everything right?

Larry

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
nugirlnyc said:
Hello you guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any information about flying with a cat to Santo Domingo? I already spoke to AA and they were helpful when it came to what I need to pay for his ticket and what kind of carrrier he will need, but they had no information on what will happen once I arrive in D.R. Please help!

I believe someone here already asked that question and if I am not mistaken,
I think your cat will be held in 30 days quarantine and given the necessary shots if you can?t produce proper shot records.

So, make sure you avoid making any plans with your kitten within 30-40 days after arriving. And don't worry about your cat because even tourists kittens get more attention there than Dominican kids.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
You need to have a certificate of rabies vacination which was performed at least 30 days prior to arriving in the dr. You need to have a recent certificate of good health from a vet, I forget how old it can be but want to say 14 days. There is no quarantine.

You should ideally have the paperwork legalized at your closest Dominican consulate in the US. I don't know that this is a requirement but I've read it when I researched bringing my cat down.

BTW, If you carry the cat in a softsided carrier as your carry on and if it looks like a typical piece of carryon luggage, there is a good chance you will walk right on by everyone. This happens at POP at least.

Your should have no troubles, American Air will want to see your paperwork before the kitty gets on board. What they need for the cat to fly is adaquate to get the cat into the DR as well. Any troubles (DR, not AA!) are probably an attempt to shake down a bribe, which should be small. No one will eat your cat (sigh...).

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
I contacted the Health Department (Salud P?blica - Departamento de Sanidad Animal) at the airport (AILA) in order to get information about bringing my dog.

They were very informative and helpful.

Call them directly at the airport 809-549-1302. If you can, speak with Dr. Alfredo, he's one of the animal inspectors.

I was requested a recent good health certificate from the vet and the dog's shot cards, showing all the shots he's got, when did he get them and when he needs a booster.

Hope that helps.

YY

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Larry said:
Rick, this is the first time I have ever read anything funny by you. Usually you are just an obnoxious ***.

PS, I am sorry Rick but did I spell everything right?

Larry

You OTOH, are the prince among princes.

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
Cats are generally...

Unsafe in the DR. After the cat is in your home, you must be careful of the Hatians because they practice voodoo. Since the DR is a richer country, the Hatians tend to migrate toward that area. One important thing to note is that cats are the primary aminal sacrifised during voodoo rituals. This is why you do not see many cats like you would say in Enon Valley. The ones you do see are watched over closely and will sleep usually in the owners home. stray cats are powerless to the fishes and what not the Hatians use for bait to use these poor creatures on voodoo practices.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
My boss brought my cat from Miami to Santo Domingo for me 2 months ago. You do need the paperwork mentioned from a vet in the states showing the cat is in good health and has the shots required. AA charged a small fee for carrying the cat. Once my boss arrived here he had no problems. The customs agent simply looked at the paperwork and sent him on his way, no fees.

My cat goes out around the neighborhood and hasn't had any problems. The groundskeepers here are Haitians and don't seem interested in her. It is true that you don't see many cats here in the streets, but I'm not sure that it is vodoo. I always like the oriental food theory better.

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
ustelephone said:
My boss brought my cat from Miami to Santo Domingo for me 2 months ago. You do need the paperwork mentioned from a vet in the states showing the cat is in good health and has the shots required. AA charged a small fee for carrying the cat. Once my boss arrived here he had no problems. The customs agent simply looked at the paperwork and sent him on his way, no fees.

My cat goes out around the neighborhood and hasn't had any problems. The groundskeepers here are Haitians and don't seem interested in her. It is true that you don't see many cats here in the streets, but I'm not sure that it is vodoo. I always like the oriental food theory better.
They tell me rabbit and cat are identical with the only noticable difference being rabbits have round bones where cat bones are flatter.

Rabbit and chicken are very similar. I would discribe rabbit as being a little stronger in flavor than chicken but both are very mild meats.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Buck69 said:
Rabbit and chicken are very similar. I would discribe rabbit as being a little stronger in flavor than chicken but both are very mild meats.
i wouldn't say rabbit & chicken are at all similar. One is a red meat & the other is a white meat, excaept for some parts.

back on to the op, ive seen people travel w/cats, dogs & never have been hastled at all while travelling int'l, but better make sure you're safe, never know who's going to check

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A couple of things

1) Once you have the paperwork, you will not have a problem if you land at POP or STI. I had no problems at AILA either.

Just make sure you have the paper work and perhaps a few rabies shot medals jingling on his/her/its collar.

2) Dominican saying: "te vendieron gato por liebre" = They sold you cat for hare! = You been had, dude!

3) cats are close to vermin in the popular thinking, so keep him-her-it as close as possible. And Haitians do eat them.

I used to have cats and dogs in the States, as did my sister, but not here. One of my friends had a cat get rabies here and bite his daughter. Not a pretty sight.

HB :D:D Meow!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
ustelephone said:

I would watch out if I were you.
With Plantains going up to $10 pesos each, it doesn't leave much money for chicken... A nice grilled fat and juicy kitten would go nicely with plantains...

Hey, I am only kidding. I am a cat lover myself.

nugirlnyc

Nov 1, 2004
Shame on you

Some of you guys are unbelievable, I guess you must not have anything better to do. I thought this site was to help people and for information on topics concerning this beautiful country. But I guess some of you have turned it into a leisurely game.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear,"GIRL"<I Know Just What You Mean!

I am a "Moderator" on one of the other Forums here,and I get that complaint all the time!!!
Unless you are moving here to live,I really do suggest that you leave you cat with a friend!
Although people here DO eat cats,some know that they are eating them,those at the Chinese Restaurants may not,the real problem will be if he gets away! There are about 50 dogs per block in the DR! All mean,and ALWAYS hungry!
You will be worried the whole time you are here about your cat!
Your cat will be uncomfortable too!
It will be more fun for both of you if he stays home!
It is Christmas Season here,and the "National Dish",is Pastelon de Gato"!!!!