The Post Office

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Now please don't say "I told you so" I know, I know, I know but Nicky heard on the grapevine that the post service was now quite reliable so she tested it with a parcel full of dog snacks from the UK and the parcel promptly arrived no problemo. By the way we send parcels "care of" our EPS address although we do have our own PO Box. I must point out that this service still uses the Dominican Republic postal service and not EPS.

I get letters - oh boy, do I get letters! From the Inland Revenue and Barclaycard with amazing speed - bills, bills, bills, every bloody day BUT: Send a greetings card and it either never arrives or arrives opened and re-sealed. Hmmmmm!

Anyhow, Nicky asked a friend in America to pick up some stuff in Walgreens - it was posted in September. Then I ordered a DVD recorder from the UK - that was ordered in October. Then Nick's friend in Cyprus forwarded a parcel containing Christmas cards. Then some Christmas gifts were sent from Scotland (also in October), and finally some festive pastry cutters were sent in early November. That's five different packages from all around the world.

How many do you think we received? - Go on, take a guess!

None

That's right none. The thieving bastards have stolen the lot.

In the UK it is my understanding that if you interfere with the mail you might as well have taken a pot-shot at the Queen! If you get caught they're gonna lock you up and throw away the key. Would it not be a good idea to do the same in the DR? One simple law, one guy made a scapegoat and then, maybe, they'll start to realise that the parcel is not for them - it actually belongs to the bloke who's name is written on the front of it!

Right, I'm done moaning.

- Promise ;)

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Sure, enforce the laws. Same thing with customs ripoffs, crooked police and judges, politicians,yada yada. It's such a simple idea - be a nation of laws instead of a culture of corruption. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that day to come. - D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
You sent electronics through the regular mail? And packages? Wow! Do you also like skydiving, hiking in the Himalayas, handling serpents and driving here at night? If now you are quite the risk-taker. ;)

I have received valuables throught the mail, NONE of which I asked to be sent by the regular mail. They just arrived unexpectedly.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I have a friend who works with Diplomats, so she often has to go to the immigration to pick up parcels. The other day she was amazed to see what was going on ?behind the curtain?. Every single box was opened by the immigration personal and they would take everything that pleased them, right in front of her. They were all walking around with new baseball hats, new shoes, shirts and with their mouths full of chocolates. She got upset and asked who was the owner of the boxes and was told to pick up her stuff and leave. This is sick and the worst; we can?t do anything about it! :cry:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
May I suggest an act of mostly harmless revenge?

Get your friends to buy a box of chocolates and lace them with a powerful laxative, which they should then gift wrap and send via the post.

Alternatively they could get some body lotions treated with a non-toxic dye that turns the user's skin a nasty colour like hulk-green.

I'm twisted, I know.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Chirimoya said:

Get your friends to buy a box of chocolates and lace them with a powerful laxative, which they should then gift wrap and send via the post.

Alternatively they could get some body lotions treated with a non-toxic dye that turns the user's skin a nasty colour like hulk-green.

I'm twisted, I know.

Great ideas!! And we could put some of that "itchy powder" inside de baseball caps!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Chirimoya said:

I'm twisted, I know.

Bravo!! Please do it!!!!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:

I'm twisted, I know.

LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Chirimoya said:

I'm twisted, I know.

You are twisted, remind me not to cross you ever!! LOL

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I never thought of chiri that way. It's always the nice ones. :laugh:

But on the other hand they'd never touch another chocolate again. :laugh:

Nov 5, 2004
Chirimoya said:

I'm twisted, I know.

I think thoes are all WONDERFUL ideas! :D

If they work maybe we will be able to save the money from using the more expensive couriers and delivery services, and start using the regular post system again!!!!

d life

Oct 11, 2004
Dont give up

Dont ive up your packages are still on the way. I had somthing sent from the DR to the US and it just arrived 3 weeks ago. I know that the US Postal service is very effective so the problem must be on the DR end. It took a total of 4 months to get to the US. I
t was a card that I sent to a brother of mine. But since I did not know his address I mailed it to my house expecting that it will be hand delivered to him. The card arrived after I had gotten home and made 3 more trips to the DR.
SO relax it is still one th way and as a general rule I do not send vaulables or anything that is time sensitive through the mail. Except it is by FEDEX, UPS or EPS.

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Chirimoya said:

I'm twisted, I know.

Too funny :).....Just think how they would answer if asked "What did you learn today?"

Tracy

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:

I'm twisted, I know.
I have to say that this is one of the most twisted, digusting, mean suggestions that I have seen on DR1.

You are my kind of person.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Grrrrr!

I was going to say "Don't give up just yet" too. I've had parcels arrive after five months, admittedly lacking some of the contents, I'm sure. This especially grieved me when a friend who visited earlier in the year sent a big box of clothes, which the kids and teachers at his school in England had donated, for a family I am friendly with out here. Those kids have nothing and I could have killed the thieving .............. who felt it was their right to steal anything that took their fancy. I'm sure the needs of the kids they were intended for were far greater.....

There, that's my moan over, too!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Linda Stapleton said:
I was going to say "Don't give up just yet" too. I've had parcels arrive after five months, admittedly lacking some of the contents, I'm sure. This especially grieved me when a friend who visited earlier in the year sent a big box of clothes, which the kids and teachers at his school in England had donated, for a family I am friendly with out here. Those kids have nothing and I could have killed the thieving .............. who felt it was their right to steal anything that took their fancy. I'm sure the needs of the kids they were intended for were far greater.....

There, that's my moan over, too!

Is this postal service a branch of the government that's paid for by taxes? If that is the case, why would anyone need apologize for being furious? Has the new administration said one word about reforming thie postal service? It is equally as disgraceful and unforgivable as any other form of government corruption. Que pais! - D

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Cutoms swap and share

Does this quaint custom of the customs officials, of sampling all the goods that come in here (I am sure only for our own protection - I mean, what if we were eating those "special" chocolates) also apply to packages shipped with private carriers? Sounds, somehow like it might. My mail forwarding service in FL says that DHL delivers up here to the Samana Peninsula. (Although I think you have to pay for the dispatcher's eldest kid's college with the fee).

Any experience with DHL, FED EX, UPS?

thanks -

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
linamia said:
You are twisted, remind me not to cross you ever!! LOL

You're safe as long as I don't have your address.

Pib said:
I have to say that this is one of the most twisted, digusting, mean suggestions that I have seen on DR1.

That's saying something. Where do I collect my award?

:bandit: