What paperwork to bring?

Nov 5, 2004
I am now for sure going to visit my fiancee for xmas and new years!!!:D YEAH!!! Got my flight booked officially now!

We are getting married in February(for any of you who are not familar with this situation), and after thought, and some good advice from you DR1-ers...I have decided I will just go ahead and apply for PRV after the wedding, instead of trying the VV route. So since we will be applying for the PRV...I need advicec on how to make this as quick and painless as possible..lol!

Since I am going in December..before the wedding, is there anything I should bring to DR to have my fiancee fill out or get done now? Or do we have to wait untill after the wedding to get everything filled out? Would it be helpful for him to do the medical exam in December so I can have the results ready and with me when we apply for PRV in February? Or the police check? Would we just go to the local station in his town and ask for this?

And sorry, but I am not 100% sure on this..do we have to actually turn this application into Haiti then?? Because if I can have everything ready..then maybe we can turn it in in person before I leave DR after the wedding?

Basically...what can I do now ahead of time that will speed up everything in February?

Thanks for ALL your help! :) As always it is greatly appreciated.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Do you have your application kit???

If so, read it and read it again! It does make sense after a few times. It lists all the paperwork you must have completed, look at your document checklist - this is a very vital part of your application kit. One thing missing on it and they return it back and keep your monies except for the sponsorship fees and the right of landing fee.
It would be highly advisable to take your paperwork down with you and fill it all in, as you have forms that both of you have to sign. The medical report could be done, but keep in mind that if the process takes more than 6 months, they can make your fiance go for another medical. Don't forget to get his pictures done, they have to be a certain size, not just a standard passport photo, and there is a different size altogether for the medical portion of the application. Be very careful in your reading of all of this, things can be missed very easily.
You should have all the necessary info with you so that there is no stone left unturned once you mail everything in to CIC. They have the right to refuse an application over something as simple as not using a black pen (which is the only accepted form of ink). This will not be a cakewalk, believe me. Trina was a very lucky woman to have everything completed so fast, not sure if the pregnancy moved things along, or what. Most likely because she is very astute and knowledgable and would have made complete sure that everything was in order. Listen to her advice.
I know that they have changed alot of their immigration practises and policies since 2000, and have also revised their application kits to accommodate the changes, so it is best to rely on your individual application kit that you recieve. You can also download the kit from their website, the only thing you will need sent to you is the official receipt with which you take to a charted bank to pay your fees. One extra point I should make is that when you call the call centre, the number Anna provided, you will only get general answers to your questions, and only how they percieve your question. You can call back 3 different times and get three different answers just in how you word your question. Believe me, it has happened to me on many occasions. I also contacted my local MP, and he told that as well.
I have been involved with the sponsorship process for 3 years now, my c/l spouse being American who has been working here for 4 years on work visas. We are finally in the last stages, but yes, 3 years. A person with a clean record, navy service in the US, owned his own business here in Canada for two years, financially stable (supports me most of the time LOL), speaks English and it has taken this long!!
Also, remember the sponsorship thing cannot be taken lightly, you will be held responsible for this man for 3 years, and if he has to go on Unemployment Insurance, or get any aid from federal,provincial or municipal assistance program, you are in default, all monies have to be paid back and you will not be able to sponsor again. So, when he does arrive here, you must make sure that until he can find a job, you will have to financially support him, no two ways about it. That should be a factor when you are deciding where to live.
Good luck, and like Trina said - Patience is a virtue, rushing this along will only cause you disappointment in the long run. I reiterate - make sure all of your t's are crossed and i's are dotted.
Best of luck to you,
Marlie

Last edited:

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You have to submit the sponsorship application forms and the PR application forms together, along with the receipt for at least your $550 application fee (plus $975 now or later) , and they have to be sent to the case processing centre in Mississauga. Do not deliver them to Haiti as your sponsorship gets approved in Canada first, then the PR stuff is forwarded to Haiti by CIC. It is a good idea for him go for his medical but closer to the date that you plan to submit your application as the medicals are only valid for one year. He will have to go to Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo for this and then will have to attach a special form to the application that gets filled out at the clinic. He will also need the police clearance certificate completed, he can get this from his local police if he has lived there for the time specified in the guide. He will need originals of his birth certificate (long form) and your wedding certificate. He will also need to obtain a Dominican passport if he doesn't have one already, and submit a copy his cedula. Any documents in Spanish have to be translated. By the way, if he tells people he needs these items ie. birth certificate for his visa application, he will most likely end up paying a "fee" for them.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
marliejaneca said:
This will not be a cakewalk, believe me. Trina was a very lucky woman to have everything completed so fast, not sure if the pregnancy moved things along, or what. Most likely because she is very astute and knowledgable and would have made complete sure that everything was in order. Listen to her advice.
Marlie

What's that saying again? More luck than brains?!!! ;) Literally, it's a game of luck when playing with the Embassy. I know of 2 women that lived in the DR for a number of years with their spouses. Their applications each took 2-3 years to complete! You would think it would be much easier for them, because they lived with their husbands for a substantial amount of time. I made a friend at the Embassy, in fact, I still send her an e-mail once or twice a year - you never know when you may need that friend in the Embassy! (yes, I will stoop to that level) She was excellent, and helped me out a lot. Again, a matter of luck on my part. Turns out, I know of someone else on the Board whose case was processed by this same lady, and this person had nothing but grief from the same Embassy worker. I tried to communicate with her in French, even though my French literacy goes back to High School, which was about 2-3 years ago ;) . Anyways, I wrote a letter and sent it along with the paperwork, describing how we met, and a little bit about ourselves. I think personalizing it went a long way.

To add to the advice above, make certified copies of everything, absolutely everything. Keep a copy of everything you send to Haiti, and send the package Registered Mail. This way, you can have proof that it was delivered when they tell you that they lost everything and you have copies when you need to re-submit!

Last edited:

Laurel1

Oct 24, 2004
So how much is the fees...I thought that it was 975 plus 75 processing...But it is 550 plus 975...Can someone tell me...Also before sending the application to Mississauga, do I have to put the medical and police report in that pkg too...

I have been travelling to the DR since I was 11yrs old and that would have been in 1988...WOW things have changed...

I have been with my husdand for 2yrs now and we just got married in Sept...We have a little "negocio" near the POP airport...Once he gets his PRV we may sell it...

So any info would be helpful...

Thanks...

Laurel :)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
The application that goes to Mississauga is only a qualifier for you to sponsor him. Don't include anything more than they ask you for in the Guide found on the website www.cic.gc.ca . I believe it's a $550 sponsorship fee (non-refundable), plus the $975 for the Residence Visa. All these questions are answered on the website, don't take what I say as Gospel, because it's been 4 years since I went through this. I don't want to be giving out wrongful info, because things may have changed, and I don't remember everything so clearly. Best thing to do is check it out for yourself, read, read, read, and be very prepared. It's the only thing you can do to help your application along the way.

Good luck!

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Important to note that all documents in Spanish MUST be officially translated into English or French and have the "official seal" by the translator. Since you are getting married in DR this will include your Marriage Certificate and all other documents necessary for your spouse's application that are in Spanish.

The Police Certificate is only valid for 30 days. You may submit one with your application but Haiti may ask you to submit another one when they are ready to issuse the PRV.

The document that you can prepare in December with your financee is the Spousal Questionnare Form and other basic information on the application itself and fill in the other details (your wedding date etc) after you are actually married.

Do the medical after you are married or just before so you can take it with you back to Canada and mail it in to Mississauga.

There is a studio in POP that does Passport photos and photos for the Medical and they adhere to the standards that CIC requires. It is called Jimenz(sp?) Studios. OR you can get the photos for the Medical done across the street from Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo.