firworks

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
it's near christmas and new year......the two big times that fireworks are sold, bought and let off.

phantom, jupiter (?) and others start selling off inventories (for cash to most, or on consignment to those lucky enough to get it). anybody who would like to start making a bit of cash can (....get an 'optional' permit and...) sell them on any street corner.

when times are desperate (as with last christmas), you'll see many, many street vendors appearing.
you can make a hefty load of cash if you get a good spot to sell - but the better it is, the more policemen you need to protect the surrounding area - as with last year, there'll be a lot of banditos robbing any 'unprotected' carpas.

close family do have an excellent point of sale and phantom are pushing to open it already (fireworks on consignment) - it won't be open until the 18th. anyway the days to really make money are the 24th and 31st.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
tuxedodan said:
Does anyone know why there are fireworks for the last few days in santo dominigo?

You haven?t seen anything yet! Get ready for a big bang!!! The fireworks will go on till January 10, and gets really loud on the 24th and the 31st. The worst is when they try to make it as loud as possible putting the fireworks inside metal garbage cans! Grrrrrrrr! I hate it! :tired:

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Xmas, etc.

On Wednesday night, the president, family and officials were at the National Palace turning on the Xmas lights (all over the gardens, walls and even the rotunda) outside and the Xmas tree in the lobby. At the end of the festivities there was a big fireworks display.

Last night there was a huge, beautiful one right on top of my building across from Bellas Artes where there was a stage outside and some sort of celebration. A few minutes later I heard more a bit farther away and I assume it was the Auto Feria Popular which opened at the main office parking lot at Maximo Gomez and John Kennedy.

It has become more and more frequent in Santo Domingo to add fireworks at the end of just about any fairly important activity; something that bodes well for the fireworks entrepeneurs.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Three in the Morning

JDJones said:
My apartment building has one of those stairwells in between the apartments.

Some of my stupid neighbors like to throw really big ones in that stairwell, then run like hell for cover. You got any idea how loud a cherry bomb sounds in an enclosed environment like that?

Of course, it would be different if I were the one throwing them!

JD

You could always buy some yourself, set the alarm for about 4am and see how they sound :classic: then.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
bienamor said:
You could always buy some yourself, set the alarm for about 4am and see how they sound :classic: then.

There must be something in the water that's turned us all into evil and vindictive schemers. ;)