Breed specific dogs for DR?

Soulbruda

Dec 2, 2004
Hi all,
Are there any breed specific laws for dogs in DR. Here in the US there are many against Rotties and Pits.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No Problem

Many here have dogs that are Rotties and Pits, Including myself.
They make great guard dogs at night......Bite first ask questions latter!

We keep ours chained up during the day as these dogs are on duty 24/7, 365.

People who want to enter the property at night after all gates are locked and secured due so at own risk.......

Also consider a 9mm (Legal) The bad guys will hit next door!

Gringo

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
You want a proper Dominican Dog

Aparently the original dogs were like their own "breed" until it got mixed with muts and strays. I think I have one which unfortunately has been neutered. I would suggest that a trip to the campo might still reveal one or two. - You've seen them around, stocky, light coloured, big erect ears, teeth like "Alien". - These I'm told are the true original dog but perhaps I'm mistaken, are there any experts who can say one way or another?

Every single Dominican who comes to my door is terrified of my dog - she's not big by any standard but they know they're gonna get bitten and 90% of the time I end up apologising for the sudden rip in the seat of their pants!

She spends her days winding up next doors Rottie's - what a dog!

Simon

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Dominican Razorbacks

is the name a neighbor of mine has given this "breed" of Dogdom which we frequently find in Costambar. He suggests Darwinian selection in that the dogs are never hostile to humans, quite the opposite. (The nasty ones don't live long.). The are all brown in color, short-haired and never an ounce of fat on them. They are great "beggers" and good at knocking down garbage cans at night! He says that he's sent a few to people in Canada who became quite taken with them on visits here.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Buzzard said:
is the name a neighbor of mine has given this "breed" of Dogdom which we frequently find in Costambar. He suggests Darwinian selection in that the dogs are never hostile to humans, quite the opposite. (The nasty ones don't live long.). The are all brown in color, short-haired and never an ounce of fat on them. They are great "beggers" and good at knocking down garbage cans at night! He says that he's sent a few to people in Canada who became quite taken with them on visits here.

Dominicans call those the Biralatas...Can Knockers

Soulbruda

Dec 2, 2004
Thanks for all of the replies. I own four pit bulls and would not part with them for anything or anyone. My wife and I will be visiting some time next year to see if the DR is for us. Any suggestions on locations? Other than brushing up on Espanol, what other suggestions do you have for a possible expat?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Soulbruda said:
Thanks for all of the replies. I own four pit bulls and would not part with them for anything or anyone. My wife and I will be visiting some time next year to see if the DR is for us. Any suggestions on locations? Other than brushing up on Espanol, what other suggestions do you have for a possible expat?

I would check up on it first. A while back there was some talk about the "banning" of pit bulls in the DR.