McDonalds

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
I was just wondering if anyone has opened up a McDonalds Franchise in the DR? or something like Pizza Hut or Domino's

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes to all three, and almost every other one you can think of. :speechles

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Party_Line said:
I was just wondering if anyone has opened up a McDonalds Franchise in the DR? or something like Pizza Hut or Domino's

All been here for years. Some have left like Wendy's, the economy killed them off.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
ahhahh.... do you remember the one called Mac Dowells :nervous:
same logo has Mc Donald!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
juanita said:
ahhahh.... do you remember the one called Mac Dowells :nervous:
same logo has Mc Donald!
Yep, where McDonalds is now, on the corner of Sarasota and Churchill. There was a fabric store before.

Heh!

There was also the now-defunct Pollo Tropical, a Venezuelan chain, IIRC. If you wanted to see greasy-haired baseball players with pharmacy-rubias in the 80's that was your place. :nervous:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, I remember seeing that one on Ave. Churchill the first time I visited. That must have been before the real McDonalds arrived.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:
Yes, I remember seeing that one on Ave. Churchill the first time I visited. That must have been before the real McDonalds arrived.
Yes, exactly. The two were in a trademark dispute for years that effectively delayed McDonald's entry into the market until long after Burger King had established its foothold. I remember well the McDowell's -- first time I saw it, my jaw dropped. The most blatant rip-off of a well-known trademark, formula etc that I have yet seen....

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It was funny to see that they ripped off the McDonald's logo so blatantly. It was just like in the Eddie Murphy movie 'Coming to America'......

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Other's

Jon S. said:
It was funny to see that they ripped off the McDonald's logo so blatantly. It was just like in the Eddie Murphy movie 'Coming to America'......

Anybody remember HOOTER's on the Malecon. and St. Vincents. Later changed the name to BOOTIES!

Had the t-shirts, calendar's. Everything but the license.
:nervous:

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I wish they would start up an Arbys or a Chick-Fil-A.

God do I miss them....

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
...also true with friday's......the copy was on tiradentes..............and then a crazy neighbour of mine shot dead some poor girl that was leaving the place..............the fake friday's never recovered after that and along with other reasons finally closed.

arturo's was another one on 27 with lincoln (almost), a fast food fried chicken place, the other side of the road to tropiburger. always seemed huge, modern, but empty.....i think it's a bingo hall now. don't know which is worse.

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
Cool Hoooters is a cool place you would think one would do goood there since they have one in Cancun and Acapulco.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Anybody know where to get a fresh bagel and the NY times on a Sunday morning in Santo Domingo.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Bagels'n More
Fantino Falco #57
Santo Domingo
(809) 540-2263

copied and pasted from superpagesdr.com...

That's between Tiradente and Lope de Vega. Great little place! Pastrami and Bacon bagel'wich rocks. The chicken club is also great!

Not sure about the NY times though. If the owner is around, he might be able to tell you where to find it.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
If someone wants to open a Kentucky Fried Chicken in Cabarete or Sosua, they'd have one regular visitor!!! Only problem is I'd probably gain 6 stone in a month!

Maybe it's a good thing Santiago is an hour away......

Nov 5, 2004
THEY NEED to open a Subway or a Mr.Sub..or Quizno's...or SOMETHING like that in Dominican!
A sub is the first thing I always go eat when I come back to Canada!!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I always thought that a NY style pizza by the slice/hero restaurant couldn't miss in Sosua. Now don't steal my idea, but I will go partners with someone.- D

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I believe they did have a Subway, but they went out of buisness. Why? Well Dominicans like HOT sandwiches, and Subway doesn't make 'em. Maybe Quizno's would work?

PeachezNcream84 said:
THEY NEED to open a Subway or a Mr.Sub..or Quizno's...or SOMETHING like that in Dominican!
A sub is the first thing I always go eat when I come back to Canada!!

Apr 26, 2002
I used to like Tropiburger. It was better than the current McDonalds/Burger King operations, but didn't have the cache value with the Yols. Also, no playground. No happy meal. No freeloading off of zillions of dollars of US cable tv advertising. Your kids could live without it. Pitty. Quality of the food and value matter little.

Have you noticed that the food at DR McDonalds and Burger Kings is not the same as in the US. Similar menu, but different ingredients. Only the packaging and the playgrounds are the same.

I recall the reason for the delay in the entry of McDonalds to the DR was some kind of prohibition during the Balaguer era against imported meat, though, I'm not sure McDonalds is now using imported meat in the DR.

My personal opinion is that Pizzarelli pizza rivals many a New York pizzaria.

Finally, does anyone remember the "Mr. Burger" restaurant in the Zona Colonial? It was run by an Iranian expat. The story goes that he was studying in Oklahoma when the Iranians took over the US embassy. After many death threats, he boarded a plane to Bolivia. He got sick on the plane and put off to hospital in Santo Domingo. Liked the chicas here. Decided to stay and make a go of it. Probably couldn't go back to Iran - though he always denied that.