just a clarification--Ocean Arc Decameron

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I've spoken with a few people who remarked that my trip report about my Thanksgiving vacation was very negative, specifically, the resort.

I'd like to talk a little bit more about the resort, which was the Ocean Arc Decameron.

It was offered as part of an internet package through Travelocity. For between $400-$800 more, I could have gone to a different resort. However, the price was right for me. I did not expect anything lavish. Also, because it was through Travelocity, I did not have airport service. Since I speak Spanish it was easy for me to get around, but I can imagine the feeling of someone fresh off the plane, trying to figure out how to get there, and getting charged an outrageous price.

I basically got what I really needed...a clean room, a clean bed, and food while I was on the resort.

For me, this was a last minute trip and I did not care much where I stayed as long as it was safe and clean. The Decameron met those standards for sure.

When I said the food was blah...that is only because I've experienced superior Dominican cooking in the past, so I am biased. I noticed other guests seemed very happy with food choices. I stuck as close to la bandera as possible. Rice, beans, meat, salad. There certainly were other choices. I ate fish one night that was very good.

The issue of the bathroom...the drain didn't drain very well, and the tap water was brown. I did not see this as a major inconvenience. I brushed with bottled water. I think it is fair to mention this to potential guests.

I think the other key to my previous, negative-sounding report was that I was not there to be entertained. Therefore the activities they had scheduled for their guests did not appeal to me. I was tempted to try the SCUBA but preferred laying in the sun. There were a lot of things to do, I just didn't want to do them.

As Tony said when I saw him, this type of package is ideal for someone staying just a short time, a week or less, who needs a home-base but is able to travel around at will. That is exactly what the Decameron was for me. If I had paid more money for a better resort, I may have been inclined to spend more time on it.

In summary, I would recommend the Decamaron. The price was right. The beach was close. There was a lot to do, even if you had no idea of what was outside the resort. It is what it is. Not the best, not the worst.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Maine Girl: where was it ? how much did it cost, all told ? where did your flight originate ? LANDED WHERE ? In the past i have found that I can buy a package and just use the airfare and it's less expensive than buying a round trip ticket. Thanks, John

Nov 5, 2004
duhtree said:
Maine Girl: where was it ? how much did it cost, all told ? where did your flight originate ? LANDED WHERE ? In the past i have found that I can buy a package and just use the airfare and it's less expensive than buying a round trip ticket. Thanks, John

You are so right..although I have never done this..I have seen packages for about $450 (cdn) with tax...and although I have gotten a flight from Toronto to Puerto Plata for this same price..in general I will be paying $600 or more of a flight..and you can almost *always* find a package for that same price or less.

As long as it is not loosing the resort money to book and not stay there? (because if they are saving this room for you and you don't come...couldn't they have someone else booked into the room, if you let them know you will not be attending?)

On another subject...
As I have mentioned in a previous forum.. I think it would be HALARIOUS to start a thread about complaints that tourists have about these beatuful resorts!!!! (but I am not sure if this has been done in the past, before I joined..and do not want to start something new that has already been done.)

Here are some examples of reviews (not exactly in their own words..but close..) this is what I have read on trip reviews about AMAZING resorts I stayed at(this is not just me that found the resort wonderful! Many other people from around the world..as well as my parents who have traveled and lived all through out the world enjoyed these places...with these increadiable complaints!) :

I will NEVER again return to Dominican. There were BUGS in my room! can you imagine?! I paid money to stay in a resort and they let bugs into my hotel room!!! because of COURSE the resort workers should be standing at your door and your beatiful balcony overlooking the ocean..(which you most surely have at home..) and killing all incects b4 they enter your room.

The food was awful...the meat was so raw there was blood running from it.
(regaurdless of what hotel you stay at..even if it is nota 5 star..I can pretty much ASSURE, that they will not serve food like this to tourists..maybe it was a Dominican red wine sauce!..who knows..or maybe you have been drinking to much if you see a red substance leaking from your meat!!.maybe it's all the blood rushing to your head) GET REAL! of course they do not have the exact same food you get at home. If you want crappy food..pay the taxi driver some money and go to Macdonalds. If you want seafood..and to experince a different (and wonderful..and tasty) type of food..try eating more then the bread and butter at the all inclusive buffets!!..Leave the resort and order some chicken and rice...(or if you really like seafood, like my parents) the fish and rice. They thought it was better then some $30-40 fish plates you can order from anywhere in the world!

In conclusion...if you REALLY want to have a good trip..LEAVE the resort! Experince the real life. This should be why you are paying this money...to experince another culture. If this is not why...just go to Disneyland or somethin!!! (I think they have palm trees and beaches there too!!)

And please let me know...have there been previous threads or forums on ridiculous tourist complaints (for our entertainment purposes?)???

Sorry...these are just 2 examples of some rediculous complints I have read from resorts before! I am not directing these to anyone in particular..(Maine girl...I did not even read your first post about your trip..so I dont know what you wrote..I will read it after this.)

but really..has anyone ever started a thread about some ridiclous complaints they have heard about resorts? I have heard MANY....and they are so off base..you wonder where were they actually stayed (since it couldnt be the same placec I stayed!)..and what in the world was put in their "all inclusive" 151 rum???(let me know...I might be able to sell a few of thoes for enough money for a trip to the DR!)

Please let me know..if I don't hear in the next few day about a thread on this subject..I think I may have to start one... :D