Places to eat in Sosua??

Ebony

Dec 4, 2004
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend any good places to eat? I'd like a nice place for dinner tonight and somewhere good for lunch on the beach tomorrow. I'd prefer not to have to go into Cabarete at this stage.

Any suggestions??
Cheers

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Waterfront: spectacular view, good food

La Roca: very good food

Rockys: Inexpensive, informal and friendly with good food

Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
La Roca Restaurant on the main street across from the taxi stand at the entrance to the street that goes to the beach.

Ebony

Dec 4, 2004
Thanks - these options will be great for tonight!

Does anyone know of anything good on the beach for tomorrow?? A bit of a long shot perhaps....??

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Go past the scandinavian bar ( they have excellent burgers and shish kebabs ) 'til you see a double wide storefront restaurant with several white tables set up. The restaurant might look closed or dark. Not so. They have fresh caught fish that is very reasonable. A 2 lb. snapper type will feed 2-3 with salad and drink plus or minus $ 200.00 pesos. " Pago Frito " is the order. Be sure to inspect the fishes eyes, etc. They are nice dominicans. Mafongo King also but they really only have frozen or have to get from someone else.
Enjoy, John

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
It is a common practice for some places like the Monfongo King to "use other places" to serve their customers. Bobby, the owner of the Monfongo King is a great host and his place is spotless clean. The restaurants he uses to serve the food are nice as well. I see a wonderful thing down on Sosua Beach with the bars and restaurants working together. If I am comfortable sitting at the Monfongo King with Bobby or with Big Lou at the NY Shark Bar. When I do not wish to sit in a hot restaurant they (the bar) will go and get the food and bring it back for me. The bar makes a small amount of money from the restaurant for "farming out" their food business. The food comes back wrapped and freshly prepared, piping hot! Tom at the Scandanavian Bar has excellent "shish go bobs" which are prepared fresh on his BBQ. Some places simply don't have the refrigeration to serve their own food and other places don't have the bar atmosphere which people enjoy! Go to Playa Sosua..the food, drink and atmosphere is excellent! Sure, Caberete is great but their prices are completely out of control!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Jimmy
Didn't thought you was the guy to go to Cabarete to pay the double prices of what you pay in Sosua ?

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Bogey's has good Mexican. Its at the Eurodive shop next to the city municipal building. At Super Super, head towards the ocean about 150 mtrs and its on your right.

There is a great Pizza parlor / Italian place on that same street if you continue on past the city building about 50-100 mts, on your left. You can't miss it, it has a huge sign above it and is sunk down below street level.

Both have good food at decent prices. The Italian place is particularly cheap for what you get.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A Dominican Tipico

On Playa Sosua, behind the NY Shark Bar is a small walkway. Back there is one of the nicest little Dominican Comados around owned by Carmine and her family. You want some fantastic Dominican food at Dominican prices? Go there and tell them that Scotty sent you! You will keep going back!

Scotty

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Thebes said:
Bogey's has good Mexican. Its at the Eurodive shop next to the city municipal building. At Super Super, head towards the ocean about 150 mtrs and its on your right.

There is a great Pizza parlor / Italian place on that same street if you continue on past the city building about 50-100 mts, on your left. You can't miss it, it has a huge sign above it and is sunk down below street level.

Both have good food at decent prices. The Italian place is particularly cheap for what you get.

Yes, the Italian place has great food but you must be prepared for a very long wait even for a simple bowl of Spaghetti.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
Yes, the Italian place has great food but you must be prepared for a very long wait even for a simple bowl of Spaghetti.

The Italian is called 'Il Mulino' on Calle Ayuntamiento.
Good and cheap indeed
bartolomeo

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Dominican Scotty and food

I agree with you 100% about Monfungo's cleanliness, the ease of sitting one place and getting food from elsewhere and Bobby's cloeanliness. I was only distinguishing between places that were specifically fresh fish sources. Also, though it's nice the cost for the same meal ( 2- 2 1/2 lb. fish ) costs almost double. It's convenient but not that convenient. Yeah, man! that back alley food is fabulishish. And there is another Dominican family kitchen with 1 table just before you get to the Scandinavian Bar. Delicioso !!
When next we meet let's share a meal. John

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
duhtree said:
I agree with you 100% about Monfungo's cleanliness, the ease of sitting one place and getting food from elsewhere and Bobby's cloeanliness. I was only distinguishing between places that were specifically fresh fish sources. Also, though it's nice the cost for the same meal ( 2- 2 1/2 lb. fish ) costs almost double. It's convenient but not that convenient. Yeah, man! that back alley food is fabulishish. And there is another Dominican family kitchen with 1 table just before you get to the Scandinavian Bar. Delicioso !!
When next we meet let's share a meal. John

John,

You got it!

Scotty